Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviour.

Old Nov 27th 2009, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

wilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nicewilki is just really nice
Default Re: Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

Are you saying the owner of this bar doeas not know whats going on when he goes home, and there left to run around wild. Are there doormen on the door. How long has he been there, if not long where has he come from.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 4:05 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Just because one emigrates to NZ don't think you escape someone else's anti-social behaviours and noise.

We have been plagued by noise recently over a weekend. Even from a local hostelry which, until quite recently, the past year at least, had been fine. Well, that was when it was a restaurant and bar. It's been taken over by a couple of Brits no less. Now it is just a magnet for drunk kids with bottles in their hands in the village high street and late night noise . By that I mean 1 a.m. in the morning and beyond. Of course, with that comes the vandalism. We've been up until 4 am before now after one of their so called 'gigs'. The kiwi bush at the bottom of our shared drive was destroyed after one of these sessions.

We've had to get noise control out several times about this and they have upheld this and gone to speak with the place and people involved.

Tonight, in order to pre-empt this over this coming weekend I phoned to speak with the manager of this place. He got phone agressive and then put the phone down on me. By the time husband arrive at the pub, he had made himself scarce.

Basically I was told it was tough. He would do what he wanted to do regardless. He won't be working. In fact, no licencee will be on and they will do what they like, when they like.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rules about noise which intrudes on other peoples lives here.

This is making our lives a misery every other weekend at the moment.

This is a rant. I don't know what we can do . I am gutted.

We will go away this weekend now. Not because we want to. We have so much we want to do before my visitor comes. Mr BEVs had booked an extra day at home. We are going because we know the noise is coming and we got the chance to go away and get away from this and the aftermath.. In a way we are forced to as I can't take another weekend of being up at 1 and 2 a.m. in the morning .

sorry .
Rant over.
Oh Sorry to hear that! that's one reason we got away from the UK because of the drunk arseholes outside out house late at night, and now you get Brits emigrating and spoiling it for the rest of us.

I hope you can get something sorted and *hugs*
Old Nov 27th 2009, 8:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Howdy people. Thanks for the support about this. It means a lot .

There is a band due on tonight. Not a rock bank . An irish type of band which may or may not be good. Whatever, they will be on until 1 a.m. . We have the chance to go away overnight and so rather than wiat like sitting ducks as the midnight hour approaches and beyond , we are taking up the kind offer and making for The Sounds.

I know that we still have to sort this somehow , if it can be sorted that is , but at least we get to sleep in peace tonight.

Anyone any thoughts or knowledge about licenses ?
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Howdy people. Thanks for the support about this. It means a lot .

There is a band due on tonight. Not a rock bank . An irish type of band which may or may not be good. Whatever, they will be on until 1 a.m. . We have the chance to go away overnight and so rather than wiat like sitting ducks as the midnight hour approaches and beyond , we are taking up the kind offer and making for The Sounds.

I know that we still have to sort this somehow , if it can be sorted that is , but at least we get to sleep in peace tonight.

Anyone any thoughts or knowledge about licenses ?
Bevs, So sorry to hear of all your shite. What an absolute bastard bunch of feckless morons. Indeed its a real nightmare to have your peace and quiet ruined by such behaviour. I would enable the local press and local TV station to shame these twats into stopping. When hanover went tits up I got on the radio, the national newspaper and on national TV. It made diddley squat difference in my case BUT I did what I could and had my cathartic release. As the deed had been done my antics were NOT going to reverse ought...whereas in your case you have an on going situation AND by using said media you could get something done. Are there others who are willing to protest. Do something that will catch the eye of the local TV. Go to a the tourism minister. Your local MP. This can and will be sorted if you gather some momentum. Look how cadbury stopped using palm oil.....consumer pressure...use local pressure, form a 'BEVS peace and quiet' movement. You will conquer. At worst when they have gone to bed you get up and park outside their property with your radio on full blast..see how they like it. Obviously get a few of you to do it...safety in numbers..don't let them grind you down. Fight back peacefully with your noise protest et al. DO IT!!! Bevs will reign supreme!!!! Best of luck.

NB re the licence for this dump..go to your local council and speak with the licencing officer..and speak to your local mayor too. They will NOT be happy about this. There are so many people who should be able and willing to help you. At very, very worst go to the BBC (OR A UK NEWSPAPER!! The Mail would love this aye??) and 'sell' them this story about the alleged peace and quiet of your wonderful locale not being as true as the tourism dept make out, shame is a great way to get things moving.

Last edited by Genesis; Nov 27th 2009 at 9:19 pm.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh BEVS, I really feel for you love. We lived with noise pollution for about 18months in a terraced house in St.Helens. It was awful & made me very depressed. As well as the noise & lack of sleep, I think it was the lack of control that really got to me. We used to escape to my parent's house occasionally but we couldn't do that all the time & why should we. I swear that if the UK had had gun laws like the USA then I would've taken that guy out . That's how bad it affected me. We never did get it sorted, we moved down to the midlands & got a detached house.

I can't help you with the licence thing but hopefully someone will know more about this. Can you approach your local council about this? Next step if nothing helps is to get the media involved.

Wish I could help.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 9:55 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

You have my absolute sympathy on this BEVS. We once had rowdy neighbours in the UK and I can't believe the stress it caused us. We're renting here in Cambridge and I was really worried about noise, but we got lucky and other than some road noise and the very occasional doof-doof enough blocks away to sleep through, we seem (touch wood) to have found somewhere quiet.

If it comes to it would you sell up? I know it's drastic but it might be better than putting up with the noise if you can't fix it.
Old Nov 27th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Other peoples noise and anti-social behaviours. Be warned . RANT

Hey Bevs

What a bummer, but some sensible advise given here especially from Genesis.

It may be worth to check the conditions of their licence, not only to serve alcohol but also to allow music and dancing, your local council may be able to help you out here.

Are the punters the correct age for alcohol, do they drive to/from the venue, does the venue lay on some form of venue taxi service?

They have a duty to serve alcohol responsibly but I think you will find that their responsibilities to the punters ceases once the punters are away from the premises, normally means away from the lights of the venue.

Good luck!

Last edited by Nice Guy; Nov 27th 2009 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Another spilling mistake
Old Nov 27th 2009, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

I would write a letter to them.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 4:58 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Awww, mate, sorry to hear this is still going on.

Perhaps an anonymous petition from your other neighbours if they don't want to be singled out? Not sure how effective it would be if they remain anonymous though? But a start maybe? Hand a copy to your local police and also to the Licensing Officer at the Council. At the same time perhaps try and get a face to face meeting with the same officer and your local police officer to find out what their powers are exactly and what if anything they can do?

Are there any Neighbourhood Watch or Community Group volunteers that you can also voice your concerns to? It may well be that you have to be "The voice of reason" and the leader for this - but a small price to pay if you can instigate any improvements.

I would hope and assume if you go down these avenues the next step might be a mediated meeting with the bar owners who then may think seriously about implementing some new rules - rather than losing the support of thier neighbourhood.

I hope so.

I really feel for you and hope you can at least have a good night away - even if it's been somewhat forced upon you.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 5:08 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I'd phone them up at 6am every morning, and then at 6:15, and then at 6:30, and then at 6:45 etc etc etc
Old Nov 28th 2009, 6:35 am
Just Joined

baldylocks is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because one emigrates to NZ don't think you escape someone else's anti-social behaviours and noise.

We have been plagued by noise recently over a weekend. Even from a local hostelry which, until quite recently, the past year at least, had been fine. Well, that was when it was a restaurant and bar. It's been taken over by a couple of Brits no less. Now it is just a magnet for drunk kids with bottles in their hands in the village high street and late night noise . By that I mean 1 a.m. in the morning and beyond. Of course, with that comes the vandalism. We've been up until 4 am before now after one of their so called 'gigs'. The kiwi bush at the bottom of our shared drive was destroyed after one of these sessions.

We've had to get noise control out several times about this and they have upheld this and gone to speak with the place and people involved.

Tonight, in order to pre-empt this over this coming weekend I phoned to speak with the manager of this place. He got phone agressive and then put the phone down on me. By the time husband arrive at the pub, he had made himself scarce.

Basically I was told it was tough. He would do what he wanted to do regardless. He won't be working. In fact, no licencee will be on and they will do what they like, when they like.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of rules about noise which intrudes on other peoples lives here.

This is making our lives a misery every other weekend at the moment.

This is a rant. I don't know what we can do . I am gutted.

We will go away this weekend now. Not because we want to. We have so much we want to do before my visitor comes. Mr BEVs had booked an extra day at home. We are going because we know the noise is coming and we got the chance to go away and get away from this and the aftermath.. In a way we are forced to as I can't take another weekend of being up at 1 and 2 a.m. in the morning .

sorry .
Rant over.
if you are in the Kaiteriteri area, you might want to enlist the help of the Inglis family or the Tally`s they hold a fair bit of sway in the whole area
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Bevs, for what its worth I will throw my two cents in! I used to deal with this sort of thing as part of my old job

1) I think you said that the landlord goes away and doesn't care what goes on when he is away. I don't know licencing law but there should be someone on the premises with a managers licence / someone in charge (trained and licenced) and if not then they may have their liquor licence taken away. The licencing officer will be able to check. Licencing officer may be part of the Environmental Health team.

2) You have done the right thing by contacting the local councils noise control, they will be the ones who enforce the 'noise law' over here or the Resource Management Act 1991 as it is also known. See here for legislation.

3) They should be able to have the noise turned down and then it has to stay down for the next 72 hours (I think). If they do not turn it down the Police or Noise officer can serve a notice. If the notice is not complied with then the equipment can be removed. In the UK this does not have to be done on the night - if it is clear what is causing the noise, i.e. jukebox, amps, TV, then the equipment can be removed the next day (so the Police can attend)

4) Sometimes the bands bring their own equipment hence it can be difficult to stop them making noise or remove their equipment. However, the pub could have a 'noise limiter' fitted. Not sure they have them over here but it is a device that the band have to run their equipment through and then there is a noise monitor in the room that is set (usually with noise officer present) to a reasonable level - if the music level gets too loud it either cuts off the power to the instruments or knocks the volume right down. Pub owners, drinkers and bands soon get pissed off with the volume going up and down and off!! Noise limiters can sometimes be insisted on as part of their liquor / premises licence.

5) In the UK (Under Environmental Protection Act 1990) you also have the option to take your own action. Which means you could do the same as the noise officer but you would have to prove to a court that a nuisance exists before the court serves a notice etc - not sure if they have the same in NZ but may be worth looking into if all else fails.

6) Best advice I can give is to make your own recordings of what you have to put up with, keep a diary of when noise is causing you a nuisance, keep phoning the council - every night if necessary and contact your MP - they will probably then contact the council and police to see what they are doing about it!

Sorry if this is a bit long and sorry if bits of this are wrong but I don't have much knowledge of NZ noise law yet!

Good luck
Old Nov 28th 2009, 7:10 am
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Oh mate!!! Sorry to read this...

Here in AKL - On my street there is 3 strippers bars & 2 backpackers all opened until stupid times and sometimes if I have an early start they're all stll coming out of the clubs... Some of "parlours" are opened 24/7 n play f'ing loud music all time... Made several complaints to noise control agency but now am tired of having them coming in my flat to monitor the noise so I gave up!

At work... Well as you all know, I work in a hotel. We're surrounded by bars... My staff call noise control EVERY night and the council is not doing much more than serving the bars with notices... The other weekend all equipments got taken by the council...

Anyway, back to my little BEVS...

As a license holder, I believe that you can NOT provide alcohol unless a license holder is present in the premises... So you might want to mention this to your local license authority...

I will look into my license book tomorrow & drop you a PM about who you should complain to...

Thinking of you...
Old Nov 28th 2009, 8:41 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

BEVS, hope you have a good weekend away and get plenty of sleep.
So sorry to hear you're going through this. I have no advice to give you , others have given plenty of good advice.
Keep your chin up and I hope you get this sorted soon. Our neighbours occasionally have noisy parties but at least they tend to stop at midnight at the latest. It's still annoying when you're trying to sleep but that's nowhere near what you're going through. I need my sleep so definitely couldn't cope with it.
Lots of luck, thinking of you
Suex

Last edited by Persephone; Nov 28th 2009 at 8:43 am.
Old Nov 28th 2009, 10:06 am
Just Joined

frogeye will become famous soon enough

Seems to be an NZ problem.
We were in a hotel that seemed to be the midnight magnet for the local nutters on bikes and card (hoons are they?).
We remembered same problem from 6 years back and no change, so only thing to do was to move. We moved room to the other side of the hotel - problem solved.

As no one is in a rush to solve your problem then I guess that is what you will have to do - move.

Are the disclosure rules the same as here in the UK, where you have to report any problems you have had or reported? It certainly cuts down on the complaints if you know they have to be reported if you move.

I know of one ex colleague who had a similar problem with a noisy neighbour, he slotted the bloke, spent a night in nick and sold up and moved out. He only mentioned that he had a disagreement with a neighbour but not why.

Must be somewhere quieter you can move to?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.