British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   other kids to talk to. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/other-kids-talk-398472/)

Ash1 Sep 25th 2006 10:00 am

other kids to talk to.

:) hi
our house sale is going through, hoping to exchange contracts next week. We are going out in Nov 06. My husband has friends who live in Papamoa Bay of plenty, we have been to this area last year. Not sure which area we are going to settle in, either Papamoa, hawkes bay area. We have 2 children a girl age 12 and a boy age 8 yrs, are there any kids of similar ages who have done the move, how did they get on new schools , friends etc. They are both looking forward to the move, my daughter is a little nervous leaving her friends. Anyone similar age they can talk to would be great it would make them feel at ease and me.
Thanks

karonious Sep 25th 2006 8:19 pm

Re: other kids to talk to.

Originally Posted by Ash1
our house sale is going through, hoping to exchange contracts next week. We are going out in Nov 06. My husband has friends who live in Papamoa Bay of plenty, we have been to this area last year. Not sure which area we are going to settle in, either Papamoa, hawkes bay area. We have 2 children a girl age 12 and a boy age 8 yrs, are there any kids of similar ages who have done the move, how did they get on new schools , friends etc. They are both looking forward to the move, my daughter is a little nervous leaving her friends. Anyone similar age they can talk to would be great it would make them feel at ease and me.
Thanks

Hi there
We are off to Hamilton next week and have a daughter who will be 11 in November. She has moved around all her life as Steve was in the RAF until recently so she doesn't seem to be bothered by yet another move. If you think your daughter would like to get in contact via email, PM me and we can sort something out. You may find your daughter will feel she is too old to be chatting with a mere 10 year old though! If she has any interest in horses though, they will be set!
Karen B

Am Loolah Sep 25th 2006 9:31 pm

Thanks

We're going to Bay of Plenty, Papamoa, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga in January (all being well.) We have girls of 11 and 14 and a boy whose nearly 8. The eldest is pretty unimpressed with the idea, but the other 2 and the youngest of nearly 4 (don't think she's up to emailing!) are pretty keen! PM me and we'll put them in touch. I posted similar thread a month or so ago and they seem to chat to a few. They've also put themselves on a PenPals International site which works quite well.

Seen your's post on the teens forum - is that the eldest? I'll see if I can persuade mine to reply.

Cheers.

caroline

Am Loolah Sep 29th 2006 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
We're going to Bay of Plenty, Papamoa, Mount Maunganui, Tauranga in January (all being well.) We have girls of 11 and 14 and a boy whose nearly 8. The eldest is pretty unimpressed with the idea, but the other 2 and the youngest of nearly 4 (don't think she's up to emailing!) are pretty keen! PM me and we'll put them in touch. I posted similar thread a month or so ago and they seem to chat to a few. They've also put themselves on a PenPals International site which works quite well.

Seen your's post on the teens forum - is that the eldest? I'll see if I can persuade mine to reply.

Cheers.

caroline

Left my 11 year old replying in the teen forum, only to discover there's nothing on there - cheeky blighter was probably just MSNing her mates. Pesky kids eh?! Will try again over the weekend.

westies Sep 29th 2006 8:41 am

Thanks

Hi
We arrived in March this year, 2 girls 3 & 8, our main concern was the 8 year old, she was devastated to leave all her friends, we felt so guilty!!
After 2 days at school she has never looked back, her social life is much busier that ours, she has lots of friends, she has sleepovers all the time, is always on the phone to them, good job all local calls are free!!!
We regularly go to the beach, just because we can, and the kids really love it here, they adapt so quickly, it's us that worry!
Good luck, it will be fine.

thebears Sep 29th 2006 10:26 am

Thanks

Was going to suggest them meeting up with my cousins (they are 6 girls) who live near the foot of the Mount. But wife reminded me they are all now in their late teens to mid twentys. God I feel old :rolleyes:

Most kids meet friends at the beach and while participating in weekend sports teams. Most kids will go out of their way to welcome them in anyway.
Clubs, Brownies, Girl Guides and Scouting are also good to meet other young people.

Kiwi