British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Otago area, things to do. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/otago-area-things-do-890551/)

Pigdog Jan 24th 2017 2:13 am

Otago area, things to do.

Our daughters, 24 and 22 are coming over next month with 10 month old grand daughter for four weeks rom the U.K. Are there any hidden secrets/treasures to go and visit in the Otago area ?

We will be doing Dunners, Otago Peninsula, The Caitlin's, Q'Town, Omar and Te Anu. Looking to do family days out rather than over night hiking.

If you only had 4 weeks in this area, what would be on your list to see and do?

Thanks

Pom_Chch Jan 24th 2017 3:58 am

Re: Otago area, things to do.

Arrowtown is worth a day trip. It's a sweet little historic town only about 20 minutes from Queenstown. There's a lovely river walkway, some nice boutique shops to look around and from memory a cafe selling ice cream near the river.

Wanaka is also beautiful. There's a nice easy walk around the lake and the town is worth having a look around for an afternoon. Not sure if the walk is buggy friendly or whether you'll have a carry pack for the baby. There's also Puzzling World in Wanaka for a family day out. A boat trip around Milford Sound is jaw droppingly stunning! Check out bookme for cheap tickets:

www.bookme.co.nz

There are some lovely wineries with cellar door experiences in Cromwell if you're into that. Q'town has some wineries too, so might not be worth the extra trip.

Enjoy, it's a beautiful part of the country!

carcajou Jan 24th 2017 5:57 am

Pom_Chch and you have just about covered it I think. You could also consider extending it up the West Coast, through Haast Pass, the Glaciers and up to Hokitika, but that is a bit much for a day trip. Could be an idea for a weekend though.

Pigdog Jan 24th 2017 6:53 am

Thank you Pom_Chch and carcajou, we've borrowed a 4-wheel drive buggie and a baby back pack. Cant wait to get going, fingers crossed the wind, rain and cold will change by then!!!

MrsFychan Jan 25th 2017 9:11 pm

We are just finishing off our lower south island trip. Dunners don't bother with Cadburys factory tour unless you like marshmallow covered chocolate. Brewery tour much better even the kids enjoyed it more. Blue Penguins in Oamaru, get tickets from Isite rather than actual site as cheaper. but there is a free yellow penguin site between oamaru and Dunedin
Baldwin Street, get certificate just $2. Larnarch castle if you like things that aren't castles and quite expensive, we declined. Moeraki Boulders, Bluff l, southern most point. Catlins is a beautiful area. We did a day trip boat ride through Doubtful Sound, good if you like waterfalls, would say save some money and just do the Milford sound few hours one. We are off to Queenstown today and speaking to a guy in camera shop in Te Anu who said that it has really become busy when we said we were there 3 years ago he said it has become even worse, so that's to be seen. Really just want to do the Luge for MrF and the kids but previous did the boat trip which I would personally do again. We are then off to Timaru and doing the Maori cave art on the way.

southerner Feb 1st 2017 10:40 pm

Only place I might add to your shortlist would be Stewart Island, for 1-2 nights. Is a magical place.

I did a road trip Mt Cook and Queenstown a week or so back. It is turning out to be a very busy tourist season, both townships were chocker. I'd recommend trying to find digs in places like Arrowtown, Glenorchy, etc where you can enjoy more of the scenery without so much of the crowds.

That said, I've just spent Xmas in the UK and Europe, and my Dunners based definition of "chocker" probably needs updating. You'll know what I mean.

Enjoy your time with family.