Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

orthodontist treatment in NZ?

orthodontist treatment in NZ?

Old Jun 26th 2008, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice
Default orthodontist treatment in NZ?

Hi

my 14 year old daughter is due to have braces here in the UK fairly soon. Treatment will take about 2 years. We are moving to NZ in about 18 months so does anyone know -
1) Is orthodontic treatment similar to here?
2) Do you have to pay for it?
3) Is there a waiting list like here?

To be on the NHS waiting list here she will have to wait 15 months.
To go private with no waiting list we will have to pay about £150 per month (not good when we are trying to save some money for the move!)

Thanks, Lindsay
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of
Default Re: orthodontist treatment in NZ?

Hi Lindsay, unfortunately we do have to pay for orthodontic treatment. My 14 yr old needs braces. I am being quoted $6000 - $7000 for two years treatment. Some orthodontists have a short waiting list (one of our local ones isnt available till October), some though you can get appointments straight away.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

lindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nicelindsay loo is just really nice

Hi Thanks for that. we are coming to Auckland too so maybe see you there next year! I take it there is no free orthodontic treatment then, is it all private? At the moment we have the choice here, but if we have to pay there too there is no point in waiting til we get to NZ
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Yes. You will have to pay. Braces for our friends son came in at $6000 & they shopped around for that price.
Old Jun 26th 2008, 11:28 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Yes my daughter has just had treatment cost were $6200 for two years but you can pay it monthly interest free

Helen
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lindsay loo
Hi Thanks for that. we are coming to Auckland too so maybe see you there next year! I take it there is no free orthodontic treatment then, is it all private? At the moment we have the choice here, but if we have to pay there too there is no point in waiting til we get to NZ
You have to pay for all dentist and orthodontist work here, unless you have your teeth knocked out in a car crash.

And you have to pay $50 or more to visit your doctor too, unless you are a young child.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:48 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

I only pay $15 for a doctors visit, I think it varies from area to area.

If you are on a very low income ( I don't know the amount, sorry just that it's low!) there's WINZ ( is that how you spell it?) you can get a quote from your dentist and they pay some of it.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Browner_
You have to pay for all dentist and orthodontist work here.
Children upto the age of 18 can get free basic dental treatment (check ups, fillings). Not sure if all dentists do this but mine certainly does.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:16 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Our doctor charges $20. Never had to use the dentist here yet. Kids get free check ups at school via school dental service (primary age kids).
Old Jun 27th 2008, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
Our doctor charges $20. Never had to use the dentist here yet. Kids get free check ups at school via school dental service (primary age kids).
Older kids are also supposedly covered for free (not braces though) once they are too old for the School Dental Service but most private dentists (in Wellington anyway) choose not to operate the scheme.

My medical doctor charges $32 per visit adult or child (we don't have PR)

Last edited by luvwelly; Jun 27th 2008 at 10:07 am.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

Our dentist operates the free child scheme and is very good with the boys we will will have to pay for the orthodontic treatment next year.
I have just had my first real illness here in nearly two years got a same day appointment with no problem felt looked after cost of visit $38 and $12 for 3 meds.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 5:32 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Our GP fees are $35 a visit . The nurse is $15.

Husbands recent unavoidable extra dental treatment came in at $800 -

Prescription charges vary.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 28th 2008 at 5:34 am.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess we should pay and start treatment here as it will be a similar cost. Our dear daughter has still got 2 baby teeth to come out first. She is refusing to let the dentist take them out so I must go and check that she is trying herself. Maybe some Thorntons Special toffee will do the trick!! Byeeeeeeeee
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:58 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

For high school kids, their school should have a list of dentists in the area who are willing to take high schoolers free. Maybe it is something that is more prevalent in the burbs of wellington than in the city though?