Organ Donation

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Organ Donation

I know that as a UK expat I cannot give blood which is a great shame but I wanted to know what the situation is with regards to Organ Donation. I have always been happy to donate and in NZ there is a severe shortage. So I wrote to the Organ registry and this is what they said -

The answer is that in NZ with your history of living in the UK and risk of CJD, you would not be able to donate skin or heart valves. But for other organs, including eye tissue, this is assessed individually and would include your medical and social history plus any other infectious disease screening. Simply by living in the UK would not rule organ donation out.

You can state that you wish to become a donor when you get your kiwi driving licence or by letting your family know or by adding it to your timeline on FB or you can check out their website [URL="http://www.donor.co.nz/"]http://www.donor.co.nz/[/URL
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:46 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organ Donation

Sssssooooo! are all non UK born nationals spending time in the UK bringing their own blood supplies so that they are not risking infection with mad cow disease that our dirty food producers subjected us to.......?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:34 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nero
I know that as a UK expat I cannot give blood which is a great shame but I wanted to know what the situation is with regards to Organ Donation. I have always been happy to donate and in NZ there is a severe shortage. So I wrote to the Organ registry and this is what they said -

The answer is that in NZ with your history of living in the UK and risk of CJD, you would not be able to donate skin or heart valves. But for other organs, including eye tissue, this is assessed individually and would include your medical and social history plus any other infectious disease screening. Simply by living in the UK would not rule organ donation out.

You can state that you wish to become a donor when you get your kiwi driving licence or by letting your family know or by adding it to your timeline on FB or you can check out their website [URL="http://www.donor.co.nz/"]http://www.donor.co.nz/[/URL

didnt know we couldnt give blood!??
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:52 pm

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Unclean......
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
yup - cause of mad cow disease (or the more technical term that someone else said) - its a good thing for me as i'm very needle phobic so at least I have a great excuse to not give blood rather than just being a wimp!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Iv,e ticked the donor box on my licence no body said i couldn't ??????

Neil
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Neil
There is no problem with ticking the donor box on the licence and it is great that you have. You just need to be aware that if you died (hopefully not for a very long time) your medical history would be taken including where you have lived, past medical history etc from your relatives as part of the organ harvesting process. It just means that you may not be able to donate all that you thought you could, although this may change with time
Old Jul 5th 2012, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil

Neil
Ok mate they'll use your bits for other expats with suspect mad cow tendencies...

All Kiwi's holidaying in the UK have to carry their own box of spare organs in case of emergency so not to get as mad as us lot.....
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Ok mate they'll use your bits for other expats with suspect mad cow tendencies...

All Kiwi's holidaying in the UK have to carry their own box of spare organs in case of emergency so not to get as mad as us lot.....
yip.

very dangerous living/visiting 3rd world UK
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:05 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

I used to give blood in the UK, and I'm sure that it was scanned for mad moo moo, (but I might be wrong)
Old Jul 7th 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yup but that doesn't matter.they have a policy here that they just won't do it if you lived in the uk between certain years. Sad
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Bloke in my street has Mad Cow disease, I don't know his name but he rubs his head against my gate every morning......

I'll get me coat.....
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
I used to give blood in the UK, and I'm sure that it was scanned for mad moo moo, (but I might be wrong)
No it isn't yet, they are still developing a test.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
There is no problem with ticking the donor box on the licence and it is great that you have. You just need to be aware that if you died (hopefully not for a very long time) your medical history would be taken including where you have lived, past medical history etc from your relatives as part of the organ harvesting process.
Really, how long do they have to check? If I got bits of me swept up of off the road from a RTA, how much time do they have to decide?

I have very little medical history here and they can't even check your records if you move between different areas in this country as there is no central NHI reference system. If you move to a different DHB or get sick off of your own patch then nobody knows who you are or if you are eligible for treatment, let alone if you come from a 'safe' country.

I believe it's an honesty policy with regards the giving of blood, if I didn't tick the box that says I had lived in the UK between the given dates, would they actually know or bother to find out?
Old Jul 8th 2012, 3:14 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
No it isn't yet, they are still developing a test.
What was that little extra bag for then, or where the greedy buggers taking a bit more than the usual pint

I'm sure the lovely nursey woman used to say it was for testing purposes - which included MMM, (MadMooMoo)

See never trust a woman in uniform

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.