Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Orewa or Warkworth

Orewa or Warkworth

Old May 22nd 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Laigholm or Titirangi

So after a survey and the great feedback we have received we found Warkworth highly desirable but miles to travel until the rail network is improved. Luckily we are receivong great feedback regarding Titirangi...I hear its a chilled out community and a great school in Laingholme. I believe the beaches are rough and good for surfers and a but dangerous for children..... so the upfront surveys are ongoing.Meanwhile; the shipping agent will deliver the packaging this week and we are near to becoming box city lol..........just the import people carrier to sort out now....maybe the auctions !!!
Old May 23rd 2011, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orewa or Warkworth

We just had a lovely weekend in Warkworth ( and yes it took 45 minutes to get back!) It's a neat wee town that's handy for some glorious beaches. I don't think that I could live there though.

Titirangi is lovely. Best to view in the winter though so you know how dark your house might be. Some of them are pretty shady and depressing in winter. It's a nice community for sure, with some lovely schools. The beaches are pretty sheltered around there but not swimming beaches really. You'd need to go out west for that but then they are scary for kids unless the lifeguards are out. Still plenty of people take their kids and their are lagoons, rivers to mess about in to.

My heart is at the west coast beaches for sure.

And I would definitely choose titirangi over warkworth. Trafffic is an issue through out aucklanf though. I took 1h20mins to get from blockhouse bay to sandringham the other day grrrrrr
Old May 23rd 2011, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Moliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really niceMoliknickers is just really nice

Originally Posted by john and julie
Our boxes are now being packed and taped up. the job contracts signed and shared with employers and we are heading to Auckland. So do we look for the best house and land for our money in Orewa or Warkworth....will this be decided by a school for our six year old?
Warkworth every time, we have been on the North shore for 8 months and can't wait to move to Warkworth in 2 weeks. The area is beautiful, Warkworth is on the Mahurangi River which is lovely and has a real small community feel. My hubbie works Auckland and Northland in Sales but sometimes has to go South Auckland to the office he says it will be worth the commute.(Traffic gets bad to the city on the motorway from about Albany South in rush hour).
It has a good primary school and college with a good reputation. has ample facilities and is about 40 mins drive to the Mega centre at Albany for bigger shopping. Orewa is nice and is flat and attracts a lot of retired folk and seems to be a much bigger community, Matakana (up the road from Warkworth) has winerys a farmers market nice bars and a very plush cinema too! All close to some amazing beaches. Depends what you want really, to live in the suburbs or a smaller town away from Auckland? :0) We have a 10 year old daughter and feel a smaller community will benefit her as we lived in a village in the Uk.

Last edited by Moliknickers; May 23rd 2011 at 8:47 am. Reason: More info
Old May 23rd 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Wink Re: Orewa or Warkworth

Wow.....great to get a diverse range of feedback. thanks for the Titrangi tips and we will choose in winter........we need lotsssss of daylight. Warkworth sounds more space for your dollar but a bit more out in the sticks. We need to be in the school type neighbourhood for friends and integration so our search continues. I hear property is slowing down and there are bargains to be had so I will be scanning with my beady eye ....please keep me posted
Old May 24th 2011, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Honestly, always recommend people get temporay accommodation and do lots of driving around to get the feel of the place for yourself. Also try some of the drives in rush hour too. Enjoy your big adventure.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Wink Re: Orewa or Warkworth

Dorrick.....many thanks for the feedback..........very inclined to agree with you..........great news....Visas landed this morning........put a few beers in the chiller, i need to start loading lol
Old May 24th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Good luck with whatever you decide!

We are trying to weigh up at the moment Orewa/Red Beach, Massey and Titirangi!

However never having been there its a bit difficult!

We have a 5yr old, my wife won't be working straight away (but will be working part time at some point in CBD) and I'll be based at Auckland City Hospital (commuting by motorcycle so no issues for me!).

We want to live on the outskirts... near all amenities and good schools, but close enough to the quite countryside
Old May 24th 2011, 9:44 pm
Just Joined

6Nics is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by john and julie
Our boxes are now being packed and taped up. the job contracts signed and shared with employers and we are heading to Auckland. So do we look for the best house and land for our money in Orewa or Warkworth....will this be decided by a school for our six year old?
hi just come back from nz orewa yes warkworth not much up there since the timber plant closed travelling time to orewa depends if you have to cross the bridge aukland to north shore if so allow about one and a half hours depending on time of day rush hour the traffics at a standstill round the bridge area. dont take your car the customs are really keen any slight rust underneath and it will cost a packet to get it through and i mean any slight rust ;schooling our 13 year old was learning things our 9 year old had been taught in the uk schools that was at a supposedly good school in nz so expect to move up a year or two hope this helps.