Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Orewa or Warkworth

Orewa or Warkworth

Old Mar 21st 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future
Default Orewa or Warkworth

Our boxes are now being packed and taped up. the job contracts signed and shared with employers and we are heading to Auckland. So do we look for the best house and land for our money in Orewa or Warkworth....will this be decided by a school for our six year old?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:37 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orewa or Warkworth

Originally Posted by john and julie
Our boxes are now being packed and taped up. the job contracts signed and shared with employers and we are heading to Auckland. So do we look for the best house and land for our money in Orewa or Warkworth....will this be decided by a school for our six year old?
As lovely as Warkworth is, it's a long way from Auckland. Even more so now that plans for the SH1 extension are on hold following the spending for Christchurch. Also, when your six year old is 10 plus, what is there to do in Warkworth......not a lot. Orewa will give the best opportunities, as a family.....in my opinion.

Good luck with the move
Old Mar 21st 2011, 5:39 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto what Sirplug says, Warkworth is quite a drag from Auckland, where will you be working?
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

john and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant futurejohn and julie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sirplug
As lovely as Warkworth is, it's a long way from Auckland. Even more so now that plans for the SH1 extension are on hold following the spending for Christchurch. Also, when your six year old is 10 plus, what is there to do in Warkworth......not a lot. Orewa will give the best opportunities, as a family.....in my opinion.

Good luck with the move
Great to get some feedback, thanks for being constructive....cheers, john
Old Mar 21st 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ditto what Sirplug says, Warkworth is quite a drag from Auckland, where will you be working?

The office is north side of the city, I can do 45 mins in the car its no strain for me. just in a quandry to take the car or get one in NZ at the auctions
Old Mar 21st 2011, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john and julie
The office is north side of the city, I can do 45 mins in the car its no strain for me. just in a quandry to take the car or get one in NZ at the auctions
North side of the City or North Shore? There isn't exactly a North side of The city, are you referring to the CDB / Downtown / Viaduct area?

If you're going to the CBD it will take at the very least 45 minutes from Orewa on a good day (depending of course on the time of day you are travelling) and you'd have to factor a fair bit longer to get from Warkworth.
Old Mar 21st 2011, 9:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

My vote would go to Orewa too for the reasons already mentioned
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 2:14 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Did the 45mins you quote come from Google? I think that is a serious under estimation of the commute time...it could easily and regularly be double that.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 4:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Did the 45mins you quote come from Google? I think that is a serious under estimation of the commute time...it could easily and regularly be double that.
45 minutes is about right to WW.

Prior to the motorway it used to take us about 1 hour to WW plus 15 minutes to our caravan at Martins Bay. The motorway has taken up to 20 minutes off our travel time and that is from Botany.

By the way the extension of the motorway past WW is still going ahead thank goodness.

Having said all that I wonder if you are talking holiday traffic travel time.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:28 am
It is what it is Member

Are you talking work commute times to the cbd??
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 7:13 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Really?? Where from?? It takes me 30 minutes from Whangaparaoa!
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

Having said all that I wonder if you are talking holiday traffic travel time.

Quite why you think they would be remotely interested in holiday traffic times going in the opposite direction of South to North certainly beats me. If you want to provide some useful information, why not tell them how long it would take you if left the caravan to go home at 7.30am on Monday morning?
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Quite why you think they would be remotely interested in holiday traffic times going in the opposite direction of South to North certainly beats me. If you want to provide some useful information, why not tell them how long it would take you if left the caravan to go home at 7.30am on Monday morning?
I am not sure what the issue is you seem to have with me Jangles. You don't know me from a bar of soap and there is no need to be rude. Being respectful of others costs nothing even when they are Kiwi's.

It so happens that we do drive home on Monday mornings but we leave well before 7.30 and it takes us 1 hour from Martins Bay.

Exactly what useful information to you have to add to the topic ?

Last edited by Bellasmum; Mar 22nd 2011 at 9:40 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sirplug
Really?? Where from?? It takes me 30 minutes from Whangaparaoa!
We live in Botany and go to Martins Bay most weekends as we have a caravan on a permanent site there.
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Default Re:Orewa - Warkworth or closer

So it looks like my simple time and distance request started a bit of ill feeling between you. I guess I will be leaving early in the morning and will miss a lot of the traffic, I would also hope to leave early and return before peak hour.

I am looking at houses maybe in the 45 minute districs north of Auckland now. If nothing else we can all have a bite to eat and a chill out together when we are settled.

Thanks for the responses and valid opinions from all sides. I just need to settle brining the cars costs now !!!
Cheers,

john

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.