Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Orewa or Warkworth

Orewa or Warkworth

Old Mar 22nd 2011, 6:35 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orewa or Warkworth

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
We live in Botany and go to Martins Bay most weekends as we have a caravan on a permanent site there.

I'm confused, that looks about 90km to me, you can't legally do that in 45mins at any time of day so i am a bit worried the op is getting a confused picture here...
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Orewa - Warkworth or closer

Originally Posted by john and julie
So it looks like my simple time and distance request started a bit of ill feeling between you. I guess I will be leaving early in the morning and will miss a lot of the traffic, I would also hope to leave early and return before peak hour.

I am looking at houses maybe in the 45 minute districs north of Auckland now. If nothing else we can all have a bite to eat and a chill out together when we are settled.

Thanks for the responses and valid opinions from all sides. I just need to settle brining the cars costs now !!!
Cheers,

john
You can check your travel times here

http://www.wises.co.nz/d/11/warkworth/auckland/
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that's the Google data, but it assumes you can sit at the speed limit the whole way which is just impossible for much of the working day as said. It also assumes you don't have to stop and queue to pay the toll :-)
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Buy a Lamborghini problem solved
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Yep that's the Google data, but it assumes you can sit at the speed limit the whole way which is just impossible for much of the working day as said. It also assumes you don't have to stop and queue to pay the toll :-)
It takes no account of the every day dramas and hiccups that occur, such as trucks dropping bales of hay on the harbour bridge as happened last week.

If anyone wants to 'go play with the traffic' , take a lookie here for minute by minute uodates on timings and congestion:

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic/curr...fic-speed.html
Old Mar 22nd 2011, 10:17 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

It used to take me 45 mins from Gulf Harbour to Auckland Domain when I was working. I would leave at 5.50am & I would be doing 108kph on SH1.

I can't see how CBD to Warkworth can be done in 45 mins without breaking speed limits excessively IMO.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:59 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
It used to take me 45 mins from Gulf Harbour to Auckland Domain when I was working. I would leave at 5.50am & I would be doing 108kph on SH1.

I can't see how CBD to Warkworth can be done in 45 mins without breaking speed limits excessively IMO.
It takes me 35 to 40 mins to get from Tindalls Bay to Glenfield at 0700 of a morning and the same again to get home at 5 - 5.30 of an evening.

5.50am.........I haven't seen that time of a morning since I finished working nights in the UK!!

108kph.....you rebel!
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
When you drive through the tunnel twice a week you don't stop to pay at the tunnel.

I'm not going to get into an argument about it but I do wonder how often most of you drive past Orewa. The motorway has extended and the road has been extended south of WW.

Simon I doubt very much that Wises are speeding when they record they driving times they publish.

But hey if it makes you all feel better then I have no idea what I am talking about. That excludes Bo Jangels of course. I once had a snappy but gorgeous Chihuahua that never snapped at me like you do.
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

Hey, if it counts for anything I would say just wait till you get here, then time it for yourself! lol
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 8:14 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
Simon I doubt very much that Wises are speeding when they record they driving times they publish.
I didnt say they did. Read my posts. Google claims WW to Botany to be 84km and quotes 1hr 4mins - average of 78km/h - looks optimistic to me... to do that in your 45mins would be an average of 112km/h - you might achieve that with zero traffic (but is substantially illegal!!), but I don't think it is achievable on a regular commute basis.

I did say I was confused as google seemed to say your journey was about 90km and you said you did it in 45mins - do the maths, that can't be legal.

Real world, Whangaparaoa to Northcote this very morning, left 0625, arrived 0705, no drama, no accidents, no closed roads.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

I used to drive from Orewa to Birkdale (probably one of the last stops before the Harbour bridge) each morning for work, I would leave at 7.35am and arrive at Birkdale 8.20am. This was the fastest route, and I tried them ALL, believe me! If I left any later than 7.35am, I hit SERIOUS congestion near the Upper Harbour Highway and would be like a sitting duck in that traffic. My hubby sometimes has to leave Whangaparaoa (we have moved since Orewa) for the city at around 7am so that he could be in town, parked, and at meetings for 9am

To really get a feel for the traffic you have to be stuck in it. From the north you either take the motorway South, or the motorway East... these are your only options and do remember that there are thousands and thousands of people trying to get into the city each and every morning on those 2 roads!
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

Our boxes are now being packed and taped up. the job contracts signed and shared with employers and we are heading to Auckland. So do we look for the best house and land for our money in Orewa or Warkworth....will this be decided by a school for our six year old?
OREWA

Warkworth is very nice though and only a short hop . I have a 7 year old plus two older children and so far the schools and area are

Not even going to enter the distance / time debate...
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

On the radio this morning... Oteha Valley Road (Albany) to the Harbour bridge - 33 minutes! It takes 10 more to get to Albany from Orewa
Old Mar 25th 2011, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
On the radio this morning... Oteha Valley Road (Albany) to the Harbour bridge - 33 minutes! It takes 10 more to get to Albany from Orewa

To the harbour bridge, not over the harbour bridge. Usually the radio reports I listen to give the estimated time to reach Shelley Beach Road, the exit just at the end of the other side of the bridge, this again doesn't actually signify the end of the journey, as there's still a good BIT to go before you reach the centre of the City, or a car park at least.

The fastest express bus, which travels largely unhindered in a dedicate bus lane can do Albany to Britomart in 25 minutes, with two stops, I can't see how anyone driving a car can beat that in the rush hours. Shame there are still huge problems with parking at Albany and the roads all around for a good 1km radius are chocka with parked cars. Seeing where the cars are some must be walking a blooming long way before they get on a bus.

Hopefully, Len Brown might get us some proper joined up public transport and a harbour crossing sometime in the next twenty years. If you've seen the Tui Bilboard that says:

Hey, you'll never guess, I saw Len Brown on the bus the other day!

Yeah Right!!!
Old May 21st 2011, 9:36 pm
VAJ
Just Joined

VAJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Our boxes are now being packed and taped up. the job contracts signed and shared with employers and we are heading to Auckland. So do we look for the best house and land for our money in Orewa or Warkworth....will this be decided by a school for our six year old?
We moved from the UK to Warkworth in January and I love it here. My husband is commuting to Auckland CBD, it takes him about 30 minutes to drive to Albany where he uses the park and ride and then its a 30 bus ride into the city. I have a 2 year old and there are a few nice toddler type activity groups, people are really friendly and the town is great. I am really happy here. The only down side I am finding is that we had a dream of buying a bit of land with our house, but with me not working that is proving to be a challenge as house prices are quite high. Have a look on realnz to get a feel for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.