British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ordering from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ordering-uk-775063/)

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2012 6:51 am

Ordering from UK

ok got the free delivery thing going on with M&S but worried about being caught on the GST.

should I split the delivery up to be under the monetary requirement for no GST and if yes what is that amount?

scrubbedexpat094 Oct 19th 2012 7:01 am

Re: Ordering from UK

Depends on what you are buying. The limit on clothes is approx GBP 97. Be aware that clothes include shoes & handbags. The former I understand, the latter I don't!

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2012 7:49 am

thanks, shall split the delivery then ;)

Jan n Neil Oct 19th 2012 8:08 am

We ordered a sink from UK ebay that cost 150GBP but came from China. We did not have not pay anything extra on import though I thought we would have to. It has seemed a bit random to me - a colleague bought a signed Bob Dylan print from the USA, he declared a value of $700 and was asked for his import licence! I really can't work this out :rofl:

Jan

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2012 8:51 am

shall see what happens,

on another point can I get someone in the uk to add to a package they send the calpol sachets for kids and sudafed or will they be seen as not allowed?

Robbie2010 Oct 19th 2012 9:07 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10338813)
shall see what happens,

on another point can I get someone in the uk to add to a package they send the calpol sachets for kids and sudafed or will they be seen as not allowed?

I think sudafed contains Pseudoephedrine ... that's used in making Methamphetamine ("P")

They'll probably think your starting up a lab. ;)

Jan n Neil Oct 19th 2012 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 10338834)
I think sudafed contains Pseudoephedrine ... that's used in making Methamphetamine ("P")

They'll probably think your starting up a lab. ;)

Yes it does. But I bought in a (one) pack of Day Nurse for a cold and no one said anything. Perhaps just be careful how much you ask them to send to you? or think about a locally available medicine?

J

MrsFychan Oct 19th 2012 9:55 am

ok forget the sudafed as can I ask them to bring some packets in their suitcases when they come over.

so do you think the calpol sachets would be ok, obviously nots boxes and boxes but just a couple ?

Kin1of2 Oct 19th 2012 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10338655)
ok got the free delivery thing going on with M&S but worried about being caught on the GST.

should I split the delivery up to be under the monetary requirement for no GST and if yes what is that amount?

I'd be careful about ordering from M&S. I ordered from them recently and found that they essentially charge VAT (i.e. prices on their website) even though you are ordering from abroad - they've obviously found some sort of loophole in the law and able to do this. Amazon and other more "honest" companies take VAT off before they ship (in fact almost every company except M&S). They kept giving me the run around when I queried it but about 10 emails later, finally admitted what they did and said it was in their T&Cs on their website. They also took me off their circulation list! Pretty under-hand I thought.... :thumbdown:

Having said that the free delivery might offset 20% VAT or they might have changed their policy since I ordered.

Moomoo Oct 20th 2012 7:47 am

Hi

My mum has just ordered some stuff from Boohoo and had it sent directly here for my daughter to put away for Christmas (she usually has stuff sent to her and then she sends it on herself as a gift). When she told me it was going to be sent directly from the company I did wonder if it would make it through.

Received a letter from Customs yesterday - we have to pay $108 to have the parcel cleared through Customs.

The clothes declared cost IE133.00 (Boohoo/Ireland), weight 3kg, 1 parcel.

Customs invoice:

Import Duty - 26.60
GST - 43.89
Import transaction fee - 22.00
GST on import transaction fee - 3.30
Biosecurity levy - 11.10
GST on biosecurity levy - 1.67
TOTAL - $108.56

Not pleased!

:frown:

MrsFychan Oct 20th 2012 9:58 pm

bummer, well looks like we maybe in for some heavy duty costs. oh well lesson learned if so

minky Oct 23rd 2012 12:18 am

Just received an order from Debenhams3 duvet covers came thru no problems have ordered from China and again these came in no custom issues.But a friend ordered about $400 of clothes and did have to pay customs?

Mark Smith Oct 23rd 2012 7:10 am

I've had quite a few pairs of trainers from www.size.co.uk and haven't been hit....yet.

Caz8NZ Oct 25th 2012 7:00 pm

place an order yesterday for some good ole M&S underwear and some slippers....under 50 quids worth so fingers crossed on the customs front!

Bo-Jangles Oct 26th 2012 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10349841)
place an order yesterday for some good ole M&S underwear and some slippers....under 50 quids worth so fingers crossed on the customs front!

Customs are presently using $2 to the pound for exchange so you'll be fine with anything less than hundred and ten quid.

The charges only kick in if they determine the Duty & GST payable comes to more than $60

It's not hard to figure it out but there as a handy dandy little calculator doodad here:

http://www.importduty.co.nz/