British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   ORCON (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/orcon-727147/)

rick78 Aug 2nd 2011 11:01 am

ORCON

Anyone used them?

We have a rental sorted and now looking into broadband/home phones...

Cheers!

barnsleymat Aug 2nd 2011 11:35 am

Re: ORCON

We've just signed up with em, phone with inclusive local calls and calls to UK plus 'maximum' 30gb broadband for $105 a month. Internet speeds in NZ are horrific so don't expect miracles, for the first week the speeds were 200kbits so after many phone calls (takes about 40 mins to get through) and emails they sent someone out. Occasionally we can stream a YouTube video without it pausing, it's faster now but lightyears behind what I got in UK via virgin and at treble the cost.

rick78 Aug 2nd 2011 11:39 am

I knew it may be slower... but 200kbits? Geez that is slow.

Are you in Henderson? Not too far from us when we move...

Are there any websites that show typical speeds etc.?

barnsleymat Aug 2nd 2011 11:46 am

Yeah we're in Henderson.

The speedtest results range from 400 to 4000, it's normally around 1000.

I'm not sure about finding typical speeds, I think it's pot luck. The speeds are definitely slower at peak times when everyone else is online.

Bo-Jangles Aug 2nd 2011 11:47 am

We have the Orcon ADSL+ Platinum service, or whatever whizzbang super fast connectivity they claim to provide, ours is pretty pathetic and no better than what we previously were getting with Telecom. Like Barsleymatt, I can't watch a youtube video without it grinding to a halt.

rick78 Aug 2nd 2011 11:52 am

i'm getting 1.2mbps at the hotel download... and do have difficulty streaming iplayer for the GP at 1am in the morning! Maybe expat shield also slows it down a bit.

barnsleymat Aug 2nd 2011 11:53 am

What is Expat Shield?

rick78 Aug 2nd 2011 12:06 pm

its a vpn thingy that gives your laptop a uk ip so you can stream iplayer ;)

sirplug Aug 2nd 2011 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by rick78 (Post 9532887)
its a vpn thingy that gives your laptop a uk ip so you can stream iplayer ;)

I tried using that but it never worked for me, maybe I'm using it wrong..........

I use Orcon and have little or no problem with it. Also have the Platinum + package. Where you are in the country, distance from exchange and age of wiring seems to make a huge difference. My mate has Orcon and streams youtube vids with ease, I struggle. The new house we're moving to has newer wiring and is nearer the exchange, so things should improve.
There is a new Orcon package out that looks good......Orcon Genius

nelsonpom Aug 2nd 2011 8:33 pm

Was going to use them but have just signed up for whoosh instead, seem ok.

MattandJax Aug 2nd 2011 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 9532841)
We've just signed up with em, phone with inclusive local calls and calls to UK plus 'maximum' 30gb broadband for $105 a month. Internet speeds in NZ are horrific so don't expect miracles, for the first week the speeds were 200kbits so after many phone calls (takes about 40 mins to get through) and emails they sent someone out. Occasionally we can stream a YouTube video without it pausing, it's faster now but lightyears behind what I got in UK via virgin and at treble the cost.

We get between 14-16mbs so it's not the case that all internet connections are horrific.

In fact we get much better speed here then we ever did back in the UK and for $80 a month we get 25gb + free off peak usage, a VOIP phone line and 500 mins back to the UK :)

AndyR Aug 7th 2011 11:46 pm

Been with Orcon for about 18 months now since we arrived. On there Purple+ package so we get naked DSL (oo-er) which is just broadband and no landline as we didn't want one. Currently pay $107 per month for 50Gb data and get 14mb download/1mb upload speed. Pretty happy actually as never have a problem with it, plus last year we got a free voucher for a years worth of Fatso rentals from Orcon which was ace!

Currently in Takapuna, but in the UK we never got more than 2mb with Sky so very happy!

bourbon-biscuit Aug 8th 2011 6:39 am

I'm put off moving from Telecom because I'm currently getting 14.5-15.5mbps download and just under 1mbps upload, which my UK rellies would say is dire but I know for NZ it's not bad!