Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach

Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach

Old Sep 27th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach

Hi,

Just got back from watching one of the most amazing sights that I`ve ever seen.
We heard through the grapevine that there was an Orca Whale washed up on Papamoa Beach so as we were passing thought that we would have a look. As we approached the area it became obvious that it was true by the amount of cars parked all over the place.
When we reached the beach , we could see a large digger and a huge pile of sand where they had been digging out a channel for the Orca once high tide came. The Orca was alledgedly 30 years old and called "Nobby". People were rushing around preparing for high tide which was imminent. There was a main group of helpers digging and throwing buckets of water onto "Nobby" to keep him hydrated and one lady who was "in charge" , who kept reassuring the obviously distressed animal who had apparently been there since 7:00 A.M
We had been there about an hour, watching as the tide slowly crept in. As the waves crashed around them , the helpers dug frantically around Nobby easing him into the channel were the sea had already started to shift sand back into. Two or three times Nobby thrashed his tail in an attempt to get out to sea but he was still grounded. The crowd had grown from a couple of hundred to now well over a thousand and let out a massive cheer as it appeared that freedom was to be restored and Nobby got himself into deeper water. The lady who was in charge was still holding on to Nobby`s fin and seemed to be going out deeper and deeper when she finally let go and punched the air in sheer delight. A massive cheer rang out and many a teary eye was wiped as the crowd stayed on to cheer on to dry land all the helpers.
One of the main helpers I noticed was Geoff (better half of Liz and Co) who must have been frozen as unlike all the other helpers he didn`t have a wet suit on. Well done Jiff (Geoff) you were bloody terrific.
It was a truelly moving experience.
Ash
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:03 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach

I can't agree more Ash, have never seen anything so amazing, I was so happy, I cried, (and either liz had sand in her eye, or like me, she was very moved) when the Nobby swam away, with his friend holding his Fin, and everyone cheered and clapped. This is the second time Nobby has beached hiself, lets hope the last.
Jif did an amazing job, and worked tirelessly all afternoon. Many more there helping with rescue, all working so hard, in chilly conditions today. Good job everyone.
Will add a couple of pics soon.

Last edited by Marika 38; Sep 27th 2008 at 5:07 am.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:20 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

thats blooming brilliant!
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:27 am
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

First 3 of the photos I am having trouble putting on!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-whale-saving-sept-08-005.jpg   Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-whale-saving-sept-08-020.jpg   Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-whale-saving-sept-08-025.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely story and glad nobby found his way back to freedom and the sea. What a shame the same principles can't be applied to humans who get stranded!!! Think what a lovely the place the world would be then if we treated humans the same way, a good samaritan helping someone out and not getting killed doing it. But that is another thread

Well done to everyone who helped this beautiful Orca to freedom.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 5:48 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Oh well done!!!!! That's fantastic.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Elsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really niceElsie03 is just really nice

So disappointed that I missed this amazing event...too engrossed in an Art Workshop to even know what was happening.

Well done to all those involved especially Jiff, awesome!!!

Keep the photos coming Marika; they are so cool.

Lyn
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

It's a word I hate - but appropriate - bloody awesome.

Huge heroic effort Mr Liz & Co.

I'll upload the pics and hopefully some DVD footage later.
Old Sep 27th 2008, 7:29 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Please do. Thanks for the pics Marika .

It's lovely to know that Knobby will live another day thanks to the efforts of all those good people . These are such precious creatures after all
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:30 am
Cornish Lass

Few more I took. The last one is the happy moment when Nobby began to swim away.
Attached Thumbnails Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-whale-saving-sept-08-038.jpg   Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-whale-saving-sept-08-039.jpg   Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-whale-saving-sept-08-043.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2008, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute

What a fantastic story!

Well done to everyone involved!

Great pics Marika
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:00 am

It was an incredible thing to witness and I, for one, found it amazing. (Marika, Liz & Co didn't have sand in her eye, she was moved to tears by the fact that the tin of sardines she'd used to "massage" Jif's legs did NOT result in Nobby taking Jif with him out to sea ...)

I am struggling to upload my DVD footage - which is fantastic - on you tube. But for a small fee I'm willing to hold private viewings in my dining room for a small fee.

Liz & Co sent me some great photos but I can't open them to upload either, so here are some less great ones. Maybe when she has finished massaging him and gelling his hair for tomorrow's Hello interview, she'll post them herself?
Attached Thumbnails Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-free-nobbie-002.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:03 am

Having to upload one at a time?
Attached Thumbnails Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-free-nobbie-003.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Having to upload one at a time?
And another ...
Attached Thumbnails Orca washed up on Papamoa Beach-free-nobbie-021.jpg  
Old Sep 27th 2008, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
And another ...
See Here

http://www.3news.co.nz/Video/Nobbyth...ID=73453#video

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.