Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Opticians & childrens glasses

Opticians & childrens glasses

Old Apr 17th 2007, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice
Default Opticians & childrens glasses

Hey there all, does anyone have children that wear glasses? My 4 year old needs glasses and i dont have any idea how to go on in NZ with that, .Any info would be a great help thanks.x Debborah.x.
P.S We will be going to the Auckland area.

Last edited by Divine Comedy; Apr 17th 2007 at 3:15 pm. Reason: forgot something
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:26 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Opticians & childrens glasses

There are heaps of opticians in any mall. Be warned though, lenses and frames are stinkin' expensive.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Hi happynz. So does that mean i pay for childrens { frames and eyecheck}aswell, as here in UK they are free until 16. Debborah.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

My ten-year-old daughter doesn't wear glasses so I haven't really investigated what the government's policy is towards eyecare for the littlies. All I know is that it is expensive for us near-sighted workin' folk.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Ok,, thankyou anyway. I have a 10 year old daughter A breed all of their own!!! I am grey underneath all this colour! Debborah.x.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 year old son has just been given his 1st pair of glasses 2 weeks ago! He snapped them after only 5 days better research how much they will cost now then

Blimey!

Michelle x
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Michelle&Carl. Been through a fair few pair for our 4 yr old aswell! they do get better at wearing them. It was while at another trip to specsavers today i realised i didnt know anything about opticians in NZ. It is taken for granted here in the UK. I just hope someone can tell me some info , as i cant seem to find much on the internet. Debborah.x.
Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
Hi Michelle&Carl. Been through a fair few pair for our 4 yr old aswell! they do get better at wearing them. It was while at another trip to specsavers today i realised i didnt know anything about opticians in NZ. It is taken for granted here in the UK. I just hope someone can tell me some info , as i cant seem to find much on the internet. Debborah.x.
Hi

He's great at wearing them - it was on a long car journey home after a fun day out, he was tired and just bent them a bit too far I can't seem to find mch neither I'm sure someone may be able to help ????

Michelle x
Old Apr 17th 2007, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Hi

He's great at wearing them - it was on a long car journey home after a fun day out, he was tired and just bent them a bit too far I can't seem to find mch neither I'm sure someone may be able to help ????

Michelle x
Hi Divine Comedy,

As far as I can tell these are the prices for an eye test:

Adult examination $59
Student $49
Child (primary school or younger) $40
Drivers licence screening $15

It would appear that 'most' children don't get any subsidy!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Divine Comedy
Hey there all, does anyone have children that wear glasses? My 4 year old needs glasses and i dont have any idea how to go on in NZ with that, .Any info would be a great help thanks.x Debborah.x.
P.S We will be going to the Auckland area.
Bad news I'm afraid - You pay.

We have three children and all wear glasses. Fitted them out at specsavers before we left which was ok for the first few years. Replacements have been costing us between $400 and $800 a throw (the range is age - as they get older they get fussier).

I would guess that there are some subsidies available for low income families but would also guess that the income would have to REALLY low to qualify.

Cheers
Old Apr 18th 2007, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

justinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to alljustinthyme is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Herm
Bad news I'm afraid - You pay.

We have three children and all wear glasses. Fitted them out at specsavers before we left which was ok for the first few years. Replacements have been costing us between $400 and $800 a throw (the range is age - as they get older they get fussier).

I would guess that there are some subsidies available for low income families but would also guess that the income would have to REALLY low to qualify.

Cheers
Try online

http://www.eyebuydirect.com/

Prices from £7 or $18 kiwis

(or Divine Comedy - you could get one of your daughters grandmothers to buy her a pair - LOL ;-)

Last edited by justinthyme; Apr 18th 2007 at 10:12 am.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

Before I address the question, one of the reasons I quit reading this forum shortly before we left and have just now started looking in once or twice over the last few weeks is that most people thoughtlessly answer posts and have not information to provide with respect to the question. It is really frustrating.

Now, we have three children who wear glasses. We brought a copy of the prescriptions with us. I paid $250 for glasses for each girl. My kids are far sighted and one has a plus 7.5 prescription. I had to pay a premium because the prescription was above a certain amount. This was at OPSM. Keep in mind that you should have the kids eyes checked annually and may have to replace a lense or two each year and frames each two years.

My 10 year old son broke his new glasses we bought in Canada 8 weeks before we came here. I sent them back for repair and bought a second set of frames to have for spare parts or to move lenses to if needed.

It pays to shop around and ask for a discount. I would look for places that offer a free or reduced examination fee if glasses are purchased.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

(or Divine Comedy - you could get one of your daughters grandmothers to buy her a pair - LOL ;-)[/QUOTE]

HAHA, see u saturday.x.
P.S that website is no good to me as it dosnt do children under 12! plus it is American???

Last edited by Divine Comedy; Apr 18th 2007 at 12:10 pm. Reason: forgot abit
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CAN2NZ
Before I address the question, one of the reasons I quit reading this forum shortly before we left and have just now started looking in once or twice over the last few weeks is that most people thoughtlessly answer posts and have not information to provide with respect to the question. It is really frustrating.

Now, we have three children who wear glasses. We brought a copy of the prescriptions with us. I paid $250 for glasses for each girl. My kids are far sighted and one has a plus 7.5 prescription. I had to pay a premium because the prescription was above a certain amount. This was at OPSM. Keep in mind that you should have the kids eyes checked annually and may have to replace a lense or two each year and frames each two years.

My 10 year old son broke his new glasses we bought in Canada 8 weeks before we came here. I sent them back for repair and bought a second set of frames to have for spare parts or to move lenses to if needed.

It pays to shop around and ask for a discount. I would look for places that offer a free or reduced examination fee if glasses are purchased.

Hi, thanks for that, i will get an eye test done just before we leave and ask for the prescription. I am in no doubt i will be back to specsavers v.soon so will ask them if they know anything that could help. It was just as got home {from another trip!} that i realised that i didnt know anything about the procedure in NZ. One in a long list of many!! She also needs to visit an orthoptic clinic as she has a squint so will have to look into that aswell. She has an appointment next week at the hospital so hoping they can find out for me. I already have a spare pair we bought, so hope to ok. She is alot better at wearing them, and takes more care now so hope not to have too many repairs.
thanks again for info Debborah.
Old Apr 20th 2007, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light

We had a report from the kids opthomologist (spelling?) before we came out so that we could take it to one here. We haven't done it yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.