Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

opinions on Huntly,Waikato?

opinions on Huntly,Waikato?

Old Mar 28th 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of
Default opinions on Huntly,Waikato?

My second post of the day, questions questions questions!
Does anyone know anything about Huntly - anyone been there, going there, from there etc? We will be moving there or possibly Hamilton in mid May, husband going to be working at Huntly East Mine. Been looking at housing there & trying to find out as much as possible, but have heard from a newly acquired friend (hi Lynda!) who spoke to a bank worker over the phone "dont go to Huntly.... the people are rude" Understand it to be a fairly small place which isnt necessarily a problem for us. We have unfortunatley seen the video on YouTube, Huntly New Zealands Ugliest Town (or something to that effect) which admittedly doesnt give a great impression but we are looking past that; bearing in mind the people are driving down what looks like the back of the village, not actually going into to the town, the weather wasnt good that day and they are playing purposefully dreary music in the background etc! We are going over with the intention of finding a place in or around Huntly so hubby doesnt have far to travel to work, but are open to other areas nearby possibly even Hamilton, we'll decide when we get there. (we'll be staying in Hamilton for the first 4 wks). So if anyone has any opinions on Huntly, or surrounding areas it would be very much appreciated! Thanks
Old Mar 28th 2009, 8:11 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: opinions on Huntly,Waikato?

I'll probably upset a few here - so what! Only ever driven through Huntley, it's never inspired me to stop, (you get the picture). It reminds me of Nottinghamshire type towns, (ooooh I can feel the ranks coming), which if you like Nottinghamshire!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 28th 2009, 9:03 pm
Just Joined

here to stay is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
my husband works in the mine.We have been here 4 years.All i can say is wait till you get here and you will make your own mind up about living in Huntly..(im sure it will be within the first 10mins).
There is the odd nice street there which would be ok to live in, but Huntly village as such doesn't have that much to offer.
We are in Hamilton and it takes my hubby 25- 30 mins to drive to work.Give me a pm and i will fill you in on where about we live.Im sure your getting excited about the move by now ?

Regads
Dawn
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Trust your instincts on the youtube video, at least the video was shot on a nice day - imagine what it look like in the rain. It truly is the @rse end of NZ. It makes Corby look pretty. They're not driving through the back of the village, that os State Highway one which runs right through the town. The railway runs down one side and river the other, so not much more than you see, away from the main road.

Listen to this: http://www.amplifier.co.nz/track/284...th_huntly.html

There's plenty nicer places further towards Hamilton or Auckland for that matter, you really would NOT want to be living in Huntly itself.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Mar 29th 2009 at 8:34 am.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Agree - "dump" is is a fair description of Huntly.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

Huntly is an absolutely fantastic place and really is the only place in NZ that newcomers should consider moving. Huntly is world famous for it's fantastic range of cultural attractions and nightlife that you'll probably fall in love with the place and never want to leave. It is also famous for it's power station, a must see for any visitor to NZ.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

From that, I think you can assume its a dump
Old Mar 29th 2009, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

WOW - thank you for your opinions, we will definaltey reconsider Huntly! Dawn / Here to Stay - thanks & i have pm'd you for more info, look forward to hearing back from you.
Sparkie Down Under - watch it i'm originally from Nottinghamshire!! where abouts were you referring to?
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

AH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the roughAH30 is a jewel in the rough

WOW - thank you for your opinions, we will definaltey reconsider Huntly!
I hope you realise I was being sarcastic.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

On a more serious note. Why don't you take a cruise through the streets of Huntly using Google street view? Huntly has a reputation as a small working class industrial town with the main industries being coal mining and it is also famous as the location of NZ's largest coal and gas fired power station which supplies most of Auckland's electricity. It is also a stronghold for rugby league, another sign of being very much a working class town.
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:03 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see AH30 that the drugs have worn off
Old Mar 29th 2009, 6:09 pm
Who loves you, baby?

Originally Posted by keeny
WOW - thank you for your opinions, we will definaltey reconsider Huntly! Dawn / Here to Stay - thanks & i have pm'd you for more info, look forward to hearing back from you.
Sparkie Down Under - watch it i'm originally from Nottinghamshire!! where abouts were you referring to?
Keeny, that bit inbetween South Yorkshire, Linconshire, Leicestshire, and Derbyshire
Old Mar 29th 2009, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this might be of interest. 50 Huntly miners being made redundant
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times...-Huntly-miners
Old Mar 30th 2009, 12:11 am
Just Joined

here to stay is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats at the open cast mine over the river..

Dawn
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Ah30 - yes I saw the sarcasm thank you.
Sparkie Down Under - come on mate im not that stupid, as I said im from Notts so I am asking which bit of Notts you are referring to, not where Nottinghamshire is!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.