Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

An opinion is needed!

An opinion is needed!

Old Sep 3rd 2013, 3:46 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default An opinion is needed!

I think the regulars know my situation but here it is in a nutshell for those who dont know....

We came here as a family of 3. We have decided to return home after the summer next year which we think may be around March, April time for us. Our daughter is 5 in two weeks time and so will be starting school. The school which we are zoned for has just given me a stationary list for my little ones first day at school. OMG comes in at around $120. She is going into year 0 and will go into year 1 in Feb where another list will be available. Now I cannot justify that stationary list as she will only be in year 0 til xmas and then will be changing to year 1.

After past discussions on here about the so called 'voluntary school fees', i have decided not to pay them as we do not have the money to do so. Oh I forgot to say that we are very poor.

We are supposed to be getting her school uniform at the weekend. Only going to get the basics (1 skirt and 2 blouses) as we are going home next year. She has some shoes and navy socks already. The school insist she will have to wear a fleece with their name on. It will be summer and I thought I could maybe not get her one but thats not the case. If she doesnt wear one I will have to write a note to explain why every time she comes without it (thats every day then!)

Now we have no transport as hubby needs it for his shitty job. So going to a school further away is not an option. She is a bright little one. Her friends back home start school this week. When we return home she will be catching the last 2 terms of school in England. Its reception year at home and so I understand that she will be learning the basics.

Do I home school her here til we go home? Will that set her back too much? Im worried that I will mess up the rest of her education if she sets off badly. Im really upset that I cannot provide for her whilst here and have been in tears all afternoon. I love her so much and want the best for her (as im sure any parent wants). I know hubby will be gutted when he gets in from work.

What would you do? I need some good advice here.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An opinion is needed!

Legally, schooling here isn't compulsory till age 6, so you could keep her home without having to do any sort of "formal" homeschooling. I think that in several Scandinavian countries school doesn't start till 6 or 7 and those countries seem to do very well education-wise overall so I'm sure she would be fine in the long run if she missed a couple of terms now. She will probably be a bit behind when you get back to the UK but will catch up.

Once she's 5 you don't get the 20 hours free at kindy or daycare so that won't be an option unless you pay.

It's a shame you are in such an expensive area - our school stationery is $25 for the year and they would never dream of insisting children wear fleeces when it's summer. I didn't buy one for 6 months after mine started school as it wasn't cold enough to need one.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:26 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Legally, schooling here isn't compulsory till age 6, so you could keep her home without having to do any sort of "formal" homeschooling. I think that in several Scandinavian countries school doesn't start till 6 or 7 and those countries seem to do very well education-wise overall so I'm sure she would be fine in the long run if she missed a couple of terms now. She will probably be a bit behind when you get back to the UK but will catch up.

Once she's 5 you don't get the 20 hours free at kindy or daycare so that won't be an option unless you pay.

It's a shame you are in such an expensive area - our school stationery is $25 for the year and they would never dream of insisting children wear fleeces when it's summer. I didn't buy one for 6 months after mine started school as it wasn't cold enough to need one.
We are tied in with the rental agreement til after Xmas and I don't really want her to move again as she has just stopped wetting the bed after moving here.

The kindly wouldn't accept her as the waiting list was too long so she has always been at home with me anyway.

Thanks for your answer.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
We are tied in with the rental agreement til after Xmas and I don't really want her to move again as she has just stopped wetting the bed after moving here. :
You can get out of a fixed rental, if you explain your circumstances and the landlord can rent it out again, which in the area your in, from what people say, shouldn't be a problem.

If still not possible could you go back to the UK, stay with friends/family until hubby joins you. Then your daughter can start school. Not nice but plenty do it.

Or as someone said on a previous post, just have fun and enjoy what's left of your stay in NZ. Use the money you would pay for uniform books etc to have fun.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

If she is at home with you for the next 6 months and you feel she may get bored there are online websites you can look at to learn basic reading/writing/maths skills etc.

Websites like Eventfinder and the Auckland council one list free events for kids, there may be some near you?

Are you on a bus route to the museum, it has some good stuff on and is free if you live in Auckland. Summer will be a great time for beach walks etc, get some books out on from the library on volcanoes to look at while you look over the water to Rangitoto etc.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

May seem obvious, but have you checked if the uniform is compulsory? Or have you explained the situation to the school, asked for second hand clothes?
I had to buy full uniform for my daughter for 6 months of year 12, no uniform for year 13, and the skinny mare didn't fit any of the second hand clothes
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:06 am
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by j19fmm
May seem obvious, but have you checked if the uniform is compulsory? Or have you explained the situation to the school, asked for second hand clothes?
I had to buy full uniform for my daughter for 6 months of year 12, no uniform for year 13, and the skinny mare didn't fit any of the second hand clothes
Yes the uniform is compulsory unfortunately. The schools are off in oct and again in December for Xmas break so I know she won't be at school for long periods of time whilst we are here.

I don't want to split the family up by going home early without her daddy. It would break his heart too as they are really close. It's a nightmare.

Why isn't life simpler . Maybe I'm over reacting ( it's a gift of mine )

I did phone the school and ask for second hand clothing but they said they didn't have any donations for her size.

Last edited by pippalonghorn; Sep 3rd 2013 at 6:08 am. Reason: Forgot a bit!
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 6:33 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Could you just jack it in and not bother with school ? Easy for me to say as I don't have children.

Would you daughter be upset if she didn't start school ?

Have you added up the weeks of school she will actually get here in NZ ?

In four weeks time, there's 2 weeks school holiday. When they return, it's about eight weeks until Christmas/summer holidays. So that's, 12 weeks in total. A lot of heartache ? No ?

I'm concerned that costs will go up and up i.e. school trips, party invitations from her new pals that will entail presents. It's tough to brazen out being broke as an adult. Is your daughter likely to be aware of having, 'financially embarrassed' parents ?
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pippalonghorn, bloody hell, I wish things had been better for you all whilst you are here. If it were me, I would go for the home school option for the time you will be here. We home schooled our son from age 9, school was never going to work for him and it's actually very easy to get all the info you need to cover the subjects.
Such as https://www.gov.uk/national-curricul...ources/Year+1/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/teachers/
I've tried to include a few more sites, but this being a Macbook, it's hard to right click to copy and paste. There are huge resources online to help.

Give me a shout if you need any more info re-home educating. Good luck.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:17 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

don't waste your time or money. schooling over here is different to the UK so anything she does learn here she will just have to unlearn when she gets back and may set her back more than if you did not send her. just do some exercises at home, which I'm sure you are already doing and enjoy the time you have together before she is balled and chained to a school for 6hrs a day
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

I often think the last term of school is pointless. There always seems to be heaps of activities and outings at my kids school, rather then any "real" learning. In my experience these activities often require money for concerts, trips to the zoo etc. She has years of school ahead of her and a few extra months at home with a loving mum won't do her any harm.
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:07 am
Account Closed

MrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to allMrsGreen2013 is a name known to all

So sorry to hear x If it were me I would research the UK curriculum teach her at home and spend the next 6 months having fun with my little girl. Let the both of you leave NZ with some nice memories of the special times you spent together.

She'll catch up back in England and will most likely excel as you have given her an amazing life experience already being able to see a different part of the world.

Do a little project together on all the different wildlife and flowers in in NZ or Captain Cook something like that which would be fun. She will get much more out of your love and time together than a few weeks at school

However.... I do profess I know nothing as i don't have kiddies myself just chipping in my 10 pence worth and sending you a hug
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 8:23 am
Looking for my marbles.

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I have read every one and I value all of your opinions. I feel a lot better keeping her off school. I've printed off what she will need to know in England so I can keep her on track.

Thanks britsinnz for the websites you gave me. Will read them properly tomorrow.

Once again BE helps me out. Thank you. Xx
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

Our girls are at the same stage. I cried when I read your first post, because I know exactly how you feel about your girl. She will be absolutely fine missing a term. They do bugger all. Please don't waste your money on a uniform. Focus on having fun in your last months here. She'll be absolutely fine starting next year. You haven't buggered up her education. You've made yourselves strong as a family xx
Old Sep 3rd 2013, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Thanks so much for the advice guys. I have read every one and I value all of your opinions. I feel a lot better keeping her off school. I've printed off what she will need to know in England so I can keep her on track.

Thanks britsinnz for the websites you gave me. Will read them properly tomorrow.

Once again BE helps me out. Thank you. Xx
I agree with whoever said look at the UK curriculum. Maybe even email a primary school to ask what reception class learn now in terms of the alphabet etc. (some years ago mine did letterland). You could always buy the books needed from the UK and ship them over.
I would aim to get back then as soon as you all can in the new year and your daughter will soon make friends and catch up.
Believe me its a much easier age to be moving than Ive just done.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.