British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Operation Dilemma (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/operation-dilemma-419197/)

Mandie Jan 15th 2007 3:13 pm

Operation Dilemma

Have just been to hospital and have been told i need an operation on my shoulder...the waiting list is 3-4 months.

Ok my dilemma is...should i wait and have it done in the uk or go ahead and go to NZ and start all over and get referred over there.

I've already got a job offer in Christchurch and am at present waiting for the contract to come through, I was hoping to be out there by feb/march time to get my children into school system as they're 15 & 12, so of you will already know that my husband has/is having second thoughts about the move and has now said that there's no way he'd pay for it to be done in NZ if it is free (so to speak) over here.

I know that maternity services is free in NZ, is there anything else that you don't pay for...ie hospital consultations and operation fees, if you pay monthly or per case. And if so ball park figure on cost

Sorry loads of questions and a bit 'airy fairy'
any info gratefully received
Mandie :D

Bo-Jangles Jan 16th 2007 7:43 am

Re: Operation Dilemma

Whatever you do, don't make any rash decisions not to go on the NHS waiting list to see if you get the operation before you come here, as it sounds like your move here is still in the balance.

Regarding costs and hospital treatments in NZ, you will pay for all the initial consultations with the doctor until you are referred to the local public hospital. Public hospital treatment is free to NZ Permanent Residents only, if you are a non-resident e.g. on a work permit or visitors visa you will be liable to pay for all hospital treatment including emergency services, unless you have insurance to cover it.

Also non-essential / elective surgery waiting lists here are just as long, if not longer than in the UK, so don't be under any illusion that you will be seen to quicker, unless you can afford to go private.

sky Jan 16th 2007 8:39 am

Have it done in the uk ... the waiting lists are just the same here. You'll have to pay for Dr's visits but once you are referred to the public hospital from what I understand everything is free if you have PR.
I think if you need emergency A&E treatment you are covered by the reciprical (sp?) agreement even if you are only on holiday from the UK Bo J :)

74NZ Jan 17th 2007 12:31 am

Get it done in the UK.

I was going to write the same as my learned friends above, but don't need to now!;)

All the best with your plans to come here:)

mazi Jan 18th 2007 12:28 pm

Having experienced (as an 'operatee') NZ doctors/hospitals/con men I can say: Without doubt get it done in the UK.

Mary L Jan 19th 2007 9:24 am

You'd better find out whether the public hospital treatment is free to NZ Permanent Residents or only to NZ Permanent Residents who have lived in NZ for 2 years or more. You may need to stay in NZ for at least 2 years to receive non-urgent healthcare.

Bo-Jangles Jan 20th 2007 5:59 am

Eligibility for Healthcare

To be eligible for free healthcare, you have to be a New Zealand citizen, a New Zealand resident, the holder of a two-year work permit, a refugee, or a child under 18 in the process of being adopted by a New Zealand resident or citizen.

People who are not eligible have to pay the full cost of any treatment and hospital staff will ask for some legal form of verification of your residency status.

Free & subsidised services for adults includes:

* free public hospital treatment
* free public hospital 24-hour accident and emergency clinics.

Emergency services are available to everyone in NZ, but if the patient is not a permanent resident or citizen payment is expected.

* no charges for laboratory tests and x-rays, except at private clinics
* free healthcare during pregnancy and childbirth
* free prescription medicines for in-patients in public hospitals
* free breast screening for women aged 45 to 69
* free flu vaccines for over 65-year-olds
* subsidised fees for visits to family doctors for people under 25 and over 44
* subsidised fees for physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths when referred by a GP
* free or subsidised healthcare for those suffering from acute or chronic medical conditions

Publicly funded health services for children includes:

* free or subsidised doctor visits for under six year olds
* free immunisation
* free or subsidised prescriptions for under six year olds
* free dental care for school aged children

Nice Guy Jan 20th 2007 6:34 am

Operation Dilemma

I’ve been on the other side of the sheets, so to speak, when I had my heart attack.

Needless to say I found the treatment first class and I would have absolutely no hesitation using the public health care system in NZ…………but…………I would think it sensible to get the health care you require in the UK, saves being x-rayed twice, so no more radiation for you and you get onto the waiting list.

May I suggest that you try to pull a few strings, we did with our son, I telephoned the admissions office after being told it would be a year for an operation and very politely asked for some professional courtesy, had the operation the following week.

He’s still a hoon though.

Good luck!

Nice Guy Jan 20th 2007 6:36 am

Operation Dilemma

Sent you some shoulder karma, may help, but probably not!

Mandie Jan 20th 2007 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 4303945)
Eligibility for Healthcare

To be eligible for free healthcare, you have to be a New Zealand citizen, a New Zealand resident, the holder of a two-year work permit, a refugee, or a child under 18 in the process of being adopted by a New Zealand resident or citizen.

People who are not eligible have to pay the full cost of any treatment and hospital staff will ask for some legal form of verification of your residency status.

Free & subsidised services for adults includes:

* free public hospital 24-hour accident and emergency clinics.

Emergency services are available to everyone in NZ, but if the patient is not a permanent resident or citizen payment is expected.

* no charges for laboratory tests and x-rays, except at private clinics
* free healthcare during pregnancy and childbirth
* free prescription medicines for in-patients in public hospitals
* free breast screening for women aged 45 to 69
* free flu vaccines for over 65-year-olds
* subsidised fees for visits to family doctors for people under 25 and over 44
* subsidised fees for physiotherapists, chiropractors and osteopaths when referred by a GP
* free or subsidised healthcare for those suffering from acute or chronic medical conditions

Publicly funded health services for children includes:

* free or subsidised doctor visits for under six year olds
* free immunisation
* free or subsidised prescriptions for under six year olds
* free dental care for school aged children

Thank you for this info, much appreciated
Mandie :thumbup:

Mandie Jan 20th 2007 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Nice Guy (Post 4303975)
I’ve been on the other side of the sheets, so to speak, when I had my heart attack.

Needless to say I found the treatment first class and I would have absolutely no hesitation using the public health care system in NZ…………but…………I would think it sensible to get the health care you require in the UK, saves being x-rayed twice, so no more radiation for you and you get onto the waiting list.

May I suggest that you try to pull a few strings, we did with our son, I telephoned the admissions office after being told it would be a year for an operation and very politely asked for some professional courtesy, had the operation the following week.

He’s still a hoon though.

Good luck!

I got a letter today with the admissions office number on it and was going to phone them on Monday...Great minds think alike!!!

If that didn't work i was going to go to occ health and see if they could speed things up a bit.

thanks for your support and shoulder Karma
Mandie :thumbup:

sky Jan 20th 2007 11:40 pm

If you are a British Citizen you are entitled to free emergency treatment though Bo in NZ, it's all to do with the reciprical (sp?) agreement.
Course you can't get any other free treatment, it's just for accidents and emergencies :)