Reload this Page >

Open return flights to ChCh?

Open return flights to ChCh?

Old May 12th 2013, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Open return flights to ChCh?

Hi

We are currently in a bit of a pickle. We need to book our flights to ChCh ASAP in order to get a good price for our first entry before date. Only problem is whether or not we book return flights.

Ideally we would be booking one way flights, but there is a chance that myself and our three sons will need to return to the UK in order to complete the sale of our house. There is also, however, a fair chance we will have completed the sale prior to our departure date, therefore making the return part of the ticket unnecessary.

Does anyone know the costs involved in changing a ticket (return section)?

Does anyone know or have an inkling as to the costs involved in buying a return from ChCh to UK?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

LL XX
Old May 12th 2013, 8:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Open return flights to ChCh?

do you need to return to complete the sale?. we sold and completed whilst here in NZ, was no different to actually being in the UK
Old May 12th 2013, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Larryloo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
do you need to return to complete the sale?. we sold and completed whilst here in NZ, was no different to actually being in the UK
Not necessarily given that we can do it all through power of attorney. But we don't yet have a buyer. There is a good chance we will have but if we haven't then we need to return to live in it as we couldn't afford rent in ChCh and mortgage here.
Old May 12th 2013, 10:30 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't pay our mortgage for the last 4mths, told the mortgage company that my husband had left me (well he had, he was in NZ) and that the property was on the market. Mine went under offer for 3mths then on the day of exchange got told the buyers could not actually afford to buy the property, knew there was something wrong with them but the estate agent didn't listen. but by that time we had made all the arrangements to move so still went ahead. got on with another estate agent just before we left, house was again under offer within 2weeks and finally went through 3mths later.
Things I should of done before we left was change the insurance on the house to unoccupied as we had a leak in the property before the exchange day and the insurance didn't cover it but wasn't to much to fix and just a proviso in the contract that we would make good any problems arising from it within 3mths of sale.

Would you all have to go back to sell the house?, myself and the kids stayed as husband had gone out on a holiday got offered a job and didn't come back so it was all a bit of a shock and a bit quick so wanted the kids to end the winter term at school and get used to the idea.
Old May 13th 2013, 4:30 am
Forum Regular

ChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really niceChrisWilson7 is just really nice

Hi. I booked a multi-city itinerary in January with Singapore Airlines from Heathrow via Sinagpore (with a 3 day stop there on the way out) to Christchurch flying out last month with the return in December for £1185. For a very specific itinerary that seemed a decent deal to me and I don't think you'd pay more than that on Singapore Airlines. I was able to find an itinerary via Qantas (code share with BA and Jetstar) for similar legs from £950, but missed out on that, with another option for Qantas involving an extra stop in Frankfurt on the way out costing around £1000. By the sounds of things it may be cheaper to buy flights while you are in the UK rather than in NZ, so that is worth thinking about.

I just checked to find charges for changing flights on Singapore Airlines and it looks like there is no charge:
http://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/pp...risflyer-fees/

In that case it may be worth you booking a return and amending later if you could do with a flight back to the UK for some other reason, especially if other airlines don't charge a fee. Regarding cancelling a return leg it is a bit more ambiguous and it may be worth calling/emailing them:

http://www.singaporeair.com/category...ubCategory=323

Hope this is at least of some use to you.
Old May 13th 2013, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is a great deal of difference between booking from UK and booking from NZ. Whenever I book flights I check expedia.com (Brit fares) expedia.co.nz and then usually end up booking direct with Air NZ. For the odd hundred bucks you might save by booking an open return from UK, I'd reduce the risk and complication and just do a one way from UK then get a return from here as and when you need to
Old May 13th 2013, 5:16 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We did a return Chch to the UK on Emirates over Christmas and New year 2012.
We went Chch to Newcastle and back from Rome to Chch so not a true return. It was also the most expensive time of year

Cost was $3200. Not sure how relevant that will be to you.

We found Emirates to be the cheapest airline and they also fly to cities other than London which helped us a lot at the other end!