Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

open return flights

open return flights

Old Dec 4th 2014, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

lazyday1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default open return flights

I wonder if anyone can help me. I am wanting to travel to New Zealand on holiday but do not have an exact timescale for my return ticket. Can I get a return flight that I cna change dates on. My plan was to travel to New zealand and visit my family for 3 months and then maybe look at working in Asian as a tefl teacher. I wonder if it might be an idea to go to New Zealand with an onward flight to a main destination in Asia. Do I need an ongoing flight from Asia or are they more flexible??? Just trying to make my trip more organic rather than prescribed. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

anne

Must I have a return flight booked????
Old Dec 4th 2014, 5:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: open return flights

you will need an onward flight from NZ being on a visitors visa, you are allowed to stay upto 6mths. I have no idea about outbound flights for Asia but would assume it would be a requirement unless you have a alternative visa to a visitors one maybe ask that here http://britishexpats.com/forum/far-east-asia-59/
Old Dec 5th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lazyday1234
I wonder if anyone can help me. I am wanting to travel to New Zealand on holiday but do not have an exact timescale for my return ticket. Can I get a return flight that I cna change dates on. My plan was to travel to New zealand and visit my family for 3 months and then maybe look at working in Asian as a tefl teacher. I wonder if it might be an idea to go to New Zealand with an onward flight to a main destination in Asia. Do I need an ongoing flight from Asia or are they more flexible??? Just trying to make my trip more organic rather than prescribed. Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

anne

Must I have a return flight booked????
as far as I know , you can book a round the world ticket, then if I remember you can change date to suit
Old Dec 6th 2014, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

Engel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really niceEngel is just really nice

Open flight tickets are not the sort of cheap flights you see at flightcentre or netflights.
For the last two years I have booked the cheapest return and later paid to move the dates, but there must be a better way. Last year my flight was NZ$2400 and NZ$900 to move. This is in part because I am a teacher and can't fly at cheaper times of the year.
This year I paid NZ$1600, much cheaper than a single. Even moving it should still be cheaper that a open ticket.
Many round the world (RTW) tickets have fixed dates. Unless you are paying big bucks.
Let us know how you get on.

Also, if anyone knows of a way I can book a return flight more than 11 months in advance let me know. I fly from UK Jan to NZ returning in Dec each year. No one will let me book a return unless I book in Jan and by then prices have rocketed.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

M_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond reputeM_and_M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
you will need an onward flight from NZ being on a visitors visa, you are allowed to stay upto 6mths. I have no idea about outbound flights for Asia but would assume it would be a requirement unless you have a alternative visa to a visitors one maybe ask that here Far East and Asia - British Expats
Was just going to say that.

On a visitors visa you need to prove that you are leaving within the allotted time schedule. Even with a residency visa I have to prove I have authority to return when I book a flight out.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

jen_jen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Engel

Also, if anyone knows of a way I can book a return flight more than 11 months in advance let me know. I fly from UK Jan to NZ returning in Dec each year. No one will let me book a return unless I book in Jan and by then prices have rocketed.

I don't know the answer to this, but if its possible the Holidays and Overseas Travel Planning board of Money Saving Expert will know how to get around it.