British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Oooo. BE gets a mention in the guardian ... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/oooo-gets-mention-guardian-794129/)

BEVS Apr 16th 2013 3:13 am

Oooo. BE gets a mention in the guardian ...

Ooo. BE gets a mention in the Guardian in an article about the foods we expats miss.

HERE:)

Charismatic Apr 16th 2013 7:06 am

Re: Oooo. BE gets a mention in the guardian ...

I think a move to New Zealand is generally a step or two down the culinary ladder. We are English and hence well versed in the art of bad food but this place can take that to a whole new level. Why else would we still be buying rubbish like Oxo cubes and other bland, unimaginative culinary rubbish? :D

BEVS Apr 16th 2013 7:17 am

Two words.

Frey Bentos. :p

j19fmm Apr 16th 2013 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10661509)
I think a move to New Zealand is generally a step or two down the culinary ladder. We are English and hence well versed in the art of bad food but this place can take that to a whole new level. Why else would we still be buying rubbish like Oxo cubes and other bland, unimaginative culinary rubbish? :D

Can't live without my OXO cubes...don't diss the cube :sneaky:

Bo-Jangles Apr 16th 2013 8:51 am

Quite, I've been watching the Great British Bake Off series on TV and some of the things those guys and gals are making are absolutely amazing; the ingredients, complexity and ideas that have are simply leagues above anything I have ever seen from the Kiwi or Aussie equivalent types of show.

Snap Shot Apr 16th 2013 9:08 am

Why else would we still be buying rubbish like Oxo cubes and other bland, unimaginative culinary rubbish? :D

I am sooo grateful that I can buy Oxo cubes here. It's just not gravy without it.

I'm glad I can buy Colman's English mustard from the supermarket without resorting to an expat shop. Same with Heinz Ketchup too. There's only 6 things I buy from expat shops.

NZ fresh food is great. Meat, fish, cheese, cakes and bread. Yummy.

MrsFychan Apr 16th 2013 9:42 am

Kids were my main concern, My youngest is such a poor eater but we took the opportunity to say New Zealand New Foods. I do hanker after low fat foods and I believe if I had the time I could probably find lots more than just the occasional sausage and yoghurt

Charismatic Apr 16th 2013 9:59 am

I never thought Oxo cubes could be so "divisive". I just associate them with my grandmothers post-war approach to cooking (which would inevitably involve some variation of over boiled veg, potatoes in varying forms, fake gravy and dry meat).

GoingIn2011 Apr 16th 2013 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10661749)
I never thought Oxo cubes could be so "divisive". I just associate them with my grandmothers post-war approach to cooking (which would inevitably involve some variation of over boiled veg, potatoes in varying forms, fake gravy and dry meat).

Caveman food!

j19fmm Apr 16th 2013 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 10661749)

Oxo in gravy? Bleurgh, oxo is for casseroles (my mum wouldn't let me call it stew) and mince. Gravy is proper Bisto powder...never the granules :rofl:

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 16th 2013 9:30 pm

I'm with you on the Bisto Gravy powder but not on the OXO cubes. Knorr stock cubes are far superior :p.

Hankering for some McVities' Gingernuts right now *sigh*

ChrisWilson7 Apr 16th 2013 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 10661540)
Can't live without my OXO cubes...don't diss the cube :sneaky:

http://scm-l3.technorati.com/10/09/1...1/The-Cube.jpg

Lb welly Apr 16th 2013 10:14 pm

Bisto! Yuk! Proper gravy any stock cube, meat juice, vege juice, flour. Yummy!