Online banking

Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

nickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant futurenickcharliepark has a brilliant future
Default Online banking

Hiya

Advice please!

Completed online application for New Zealand National Bank a couple of weeks ago. Not had any kind of reply except the standard email after sending. It says that if you are applying for a bank when you emigrate it 'may take a little longer to process'

How long is a little longer and should I email them yet or am I being to quick?

Cheers in advance

Nicola
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:32 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online banking

Originally Posted by nickcharliepark
Hiya

Advice please!

Completed online application for New Zealand National Bank a couple of weeks ago. Not had any kind of reply except the standard email after sending. It says that if you are applying for a bank when you emigrate it 'may take a little longer to process'

Cheers in advance

Nicola
Dunno,

I phoned ANZ up and opened an account over the phone. They gave me my account number and Swift code for transfering money. I was told whic branch I need to turn upto in Oz to validate my account..i.e show ID etc.

I didn't receive any emails, confirmations etc. Seems very relaxed/unsecure....I'm still wondering what if I was given a bogus account number and my life savings end up in the wrong hands :scared:

TC
Old Jul 17th 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hiya

Advice please!

Cheers in advance

Nicola
On the NBNZ website there is a list of toll free numbers you can call, depending on what country you are in..Just give them a ring to find out what is happening, you can open the account via the phone.....

thats what we did
Old Jul 18th 2006, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Nicola

We applied to The National Bank yesterday and received an e-mail to confirm the account was opened this morning and all the details were in the post. The link for online applications is https://www.nbnz.co.nz/online/oao/default.aspx. There is also a freephone no. from the UK which is 00 800 12551255. Also they are an affiliate with Lloyds TSB so if you are a customer over here they should be able to help you with the application here in the UK. I'd advise calling them or completing the process again as two weeks seems a little too long....

Good luck
Wayne

Hiya

Advice please!

Cheers in advance

Nicola
Old Jul 19th 2006, 4:56 am
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future

We looked at accounts before coming over and could not stomach the fact that most charge for EVERYTHING even internet banking and ATM transactions. The only two that don't seem to for most things are TSB and HSBC.

We have gone for HSBC, (users/in the UK too), and it didn't take long to open an account, (taking passports, address details, old utility bills from UK etc), details on the HSBC.co.nz site. Couldn't do it easily from the UK but easy once here.

Now have 'free' ish account, online banking, ATM/EFTPOS card and no fees provided we use HSBC and Westpac atms and keep a minimum amount in the bank. Seems OK so far but not many branches about.
Old Jul 20th 2006, 5:37 am
Freak of nature

asiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud ofasiatic has much to be proud of

...if you are applying for a bank when you emigrate it 'may take a little longer to process'

Probably weeks rather than days.

The NZ banking system (IMHO) is nowhere near as effecient as UK banks, saying that the NZ approach is much more thoughtful and understanding, this can not be said about UK banks.

Apologises for the sweeeping generalisation statement of banks on both sides of the planet. its just the impression I've been getting.