Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:53 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
And the 50-86k percentage must be dollars as someone pointed out above.

I think these figures refered to the earnings of the Expats who were questioned in general and not just NZ, where the UAE salaries would bump this figure up to 50-85 thousand pounds...
Old Jun 18th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

Originally Posted by crap coffee
W h a t s o e v e r. It's not even worth to talking about.

From now on, I wouldn't trust the UK press.

BBC? not sure if they do a better job than the Daily Mail or Mirror lot.
You have trusted them up until now?? Help!

The perception is that the BBC offer a more unbiased news reporting service, [unless one is Jewish of course.]
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
OMIGOSH, they like totally got a picture of my backyard in that first shot. Wow (she says in a hyperactive stupid way).

Really ? I'm going for another squizz.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:49 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS
Really ? I'm going for another squizz.
And if so, why were they photographing them in your garden - can't they afford their own?!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 11:58 am
`

I have to say that I don't like the look of Mr and Mrs Gorman's dentures. They look lethal to me. The sort that pop out to bite someone's toes.

apologies to Mr and Mrs Gorman. There was a relative of yours a while ago that did a sort of comedy show called Gorman. I'm sure your choppers are perfectly fine and choppery.

OMIGOSH, they like totally got a picture of my backyard in that first shot
Wouldn't do for me. No duck houses for Boo and Woo
Old Jun 18th 2009, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

They're trying to encourage people to go there BIG TIME! ... its a very inaccurate article. However the beautiful photo did get me thinking ... I imagine that article's attracted a few people
Old Jun 19th 2009, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BEVS
I have to say that I don't like the look of Mr and Mrs Gorman's dentures. They look lethal to me. The sort that pop out to bite someone's toes.

apologies to Mr and Mrs Gorman. There was a relative of yours a while ago that did a sort of comedy show called Gorman. I'm sure your choppers are perfectly fine and choppery.

Wouldn't do for me. No duck houses for Boo and Woo
yeah but you could get one off this guy, he's going to auction it by the looks of things, looks nice, all mod cons etc, arrange for someone to squeeze it into a container to get it out here and 'Bobs yer uncle'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8090869.stm
Old Jun 19th 2009, 6:35 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Our backyard, in actual fact is surrounded by 5 houses (wide section) and if I look really carefully I can see what the neighbours are cooking.

But hell yes I want a mountain and a lake. That would be grouse baby.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 11:26 am
Just Joined

KiwiWill is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janek
You have trusted them up until now?? Help!

The perception is that the BBC offer a more unbiased news reporting service...
Ahh! Good old Aunty:
http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/

Originally Posted by janek
...unless one is Jewish of course
or Christian
or conservative
or white
or English
or hetrosexual
or male
or ...
Old Jun 20th 2009, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you live Auckland, up north, Tauranga etc then you are going to get temperatures similar to the UK.

However the overall weather in the UK is miserable, the last couple of summers have been rubbish and the low cloud (stratus?) that covers the country frequently is just depressing.

The humidity in NZ also makes it feel a lot colder too, everything gets damp especially in many of the older houses.

I actually think the article is probably quite accurate and I would think that British immigrants to NZ are probably the happiest.

Property is expensive everywhere now, Australia has cheaper houses but in non-descript sprawling suburbs. If you want something good you'll be paying heavily for it. So maybe with the exception of Auckland most Brits would probably find NZ cheaper to get on the housing ladder. It is also very easy to set up a business and do things in NZ. Australia again has loads of red tape and especially in Victoria you need a license to just about do anything.

Doesn't surprise me that France is lower on the list, many people have idyllic dreams about living there but it really can be a challenge and many things people whinge about in NZ are far worse there and you have the language barrier, bureaucracy and potentially hostile natives to contend with. Fantastic for a holiday but you'd have to be mad to live there, or French.

Last edited by sr71; Jun 20th 2009 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2009, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to beholdKiwi-Irish is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, if I's going to go back to NZ would only consider the North of the North - cant stand the cold there, or cold houses should i say.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KiwiWill
Ahh! Good old Aunty:
http://biased-bbc.blogspot.com/

or Christian
or conservative
or white
or English
or hetrosexual
or male
or ...
I would say I miss the Beeb, but I don't, but thats probably because I have accessed the BBCi player, it is a complete godsend when stuck in with the truely awful Kiwi Telly on a cold, wet & windy winters day in Welly...be gratefull for public service broadcasting & the licence fee I say!!
Old Jun 21st 2009, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
I would say I miss the Beeb, but I don't, but thats probably because I have accessed the BBCi player, it is a complete godsend when stuck in with the truely awful Kiwi Telly on a cold, wet & windy winters day in Welly...be gratefull for public service broadcasting & the licence fee I say!!
Here here...I've started listening to BBC Radio 4 and World Service over the internet via squeezebox. It's great...much better than 'the breeeeize' .....interesting topics, humour and no ads whatsoever...you can't beat it.

Have just read the booklet you get when your EOI is accepted (renewing our visas) and guess what it points out all the downsides of NZ such as: low wage economy, high cost of travel elsewhere, isolation, less consumer choice, flimsy housing stock, etc etc....I cetainly don't recall reading any downsides from NZIS sources when I was applying for the work visas originally...so don't know if they have had a change of tack at all because of being accused of misleading people they are coming to the land of milk and honey.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Taxes in general are higher here, no zero band for a start. Yes other taxes may be less (GST v VAT), Capital Gains on property - though that just effects the property market, etc, etc.

Certainly the weather here in Auckland is warmer that mainland UK, but won't feel it inside in the majority of badly insulated houses.

Property wise, NZ isn't that cheap unless you're moving from the London, SE Area. Certainly equivalent property to what I had in the Uk will be costing more here in Auckland, no doubt. OK, Auckland prices are more expensive than the rest of the country, but many jobs aren't as spread out in NZ as in the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:35 am
`

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Here here...I've started listening to BBC Radio 4 and World Service over the internet via squeezebox. It's great...much better than 'the breeeeize' .....interesting topics, humour and no ads whatsoever...you can't beat it.

Have just read the booklet you get when your EOI is accepted (renewing our visas) and guess what it points out all the downsides of NZ such as: low wage economy, high cost of travel elsewhere, isolation, less consumer choice, flimsy housing stock, etc etc....I cetainly don't recall reading any downsides from NZIS sources when I was applying for the work visas originally...so don't know if they have had a change of tack at all because of being accused of misleading people they are coming to the land of milk and honey.
Really.
Can you scan and put up on here. I really mean that .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.