Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

Old Jun 17th 2009, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default This is why you all love NZ - Apparently...

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...sh-expats.html
Old Jun 17th 2009, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This is why you all love NZ - Apparently...

Lower Taxes?

hhmm.... Its definitely questionable.

and Hotter?

Wearing 8 layers of clothes at home, and having chilblains in the feet every winter?

If that's true?

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 17th 2009 at 2:42 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

gvbjersey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

Interesting article in website today....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1193517/Hotter-cheaper-traffic-jams-Why-New-Zealand-paradise-British-expats.html[/URL]

Hope the link works
Old Jun 17th 2009, 4:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by crap coffee View Post
Lower Taxes?

hhmm.... Its definitely questionable.

and Hotter?

Wearing 8 layers of clothes at home, and having chilblains in the feet every winter?

If that's true?
Good to know! Not sure about the weather comment I remember backpacking around NZ in June 2003 and it being bloody freezin!!!
Old Jun 17th 2009, 5:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris View Post
Good to know! Not sure about the weather comment I remember backpacking around NZ in June 2003 and it being bloody freezin!!!
Gosh, I am wearing layers of thick clothes and studying despite it's nearly 5.00 a.m! and I wouldn't be able to stay awake for my exam ... but I've got to go to work as well!

Let's be honest: I live in Welly and I actually feel much colder here than I was in England or Scotland! Well, it's to do with the harsh wind I guess and the average house is incredibly freezing & really DAMP! This is so funny that I never had chilblains in the feet while living in and Seoul and Tokyo when I was young ...despite the temperature goes down to -15 °C in winter there! BUt! I've always had chilblains ever since we've moved to NZ! What does that tell you?

On the whole it's not that comfortable to live here .. weatherwise and housewise. Unless you are willing to spend LOTS of money for heating, and insulations (which is bl**dy silly I guess!) then it's okay to come here, otherwise it's no good and it's absolutely bad for your health, especially if you are a woman. my hands and feet = Freezing cold all the time and my poor feet are so sore now... despite wearing 3 layers of socks!!!! It's all to do with the cold house - Hope you understand what I am talking about.

It's absolutley COLD here!!!
DON'T BE DELUDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 17th 2009 at 6:15 pm.
Old Jun 17th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Article about NZ

No didn't work but same article is what this link is all about

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=615317

Makes me glad we are going soon,11 days infact

Phyl x
Old Jun 17th 2009, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

I had to laugh (or cry?) at some of the comments at teh bottom of that article,mind you, its exactly what I would expect from the Daily Mail and it's readers, small minded and petty

Its a none article, it basically says that some folks like where they have moved to, wow, fab, and its factually inacurate regarding house prices, climate etc, typical lazy daily mail article...

NZ is a fab place to live, but like anywhere in the world it has its issues and downsides, and anyone considering moving here needs to appreciate that as much as you will love it, you can hate living here for various reasons at the same time
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:40 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

It's no secret that I love living here, but that article really is a load of guff!
Low taxes! That is just not true.
Cheap houses - not any more!
It is actually warmer up here than where I used to live in Scotland, but that depends on where you are.

I read it thinking, is this where I live??
Old Jun 18th 2009, 12:43 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Factually inaccurate & one wild claim plonked in for good measure . One wonders with whom and where this survey was done.

but for anyone who is wanting to come to NZ , I am sure many of you will find the new lives you are looking for.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 18th 2009 at 1:31 am. Reason: merged two exact same posts on the two different threads
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:25 am
Cow on the Beach

Wooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond reputeWooly_Cow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
somewhat inaccurate ,.
...understatement of the week...... if he goes to work in a t shirt in Auckland this morning....he'd have been freezing!

...as for lower taxes - huh?????? Don't get that one at all. No allowances and income tax rates about the same = slightly higher taxes....

...and most earning between 50-85,000 quid....surely a typo they must mean $.

...and No Traffic Jams ! Yeah Right!

and ... "'The fact that this study has indicated that most adults leave the country with less than £5,000 in cash, but that their net worth abroad is largely between £250,000 and £1million is impressive and should not be understated.' " - yeah cause that's the value of their houses

Seldom have I read such drivel

Last edited by Wooly_Cow; Jun 18th 2009 at 1:31 am.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:28 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I like the bit about coming out with a few bob and turning it into quarter of a million or more. The article forgot about turning water into wine and lead into gold also.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
I like the bit about coming out with a few bob and turning it into quarter of a million or more. The article forgot about turning water into wine and lead into gold also.
Yeah right. They also forgot to mention the 'special' alchemists (like me) who can turn life savings into zero, zilch, nada, **** all thanks to our glorious unregulated finance/investment chums here in NZ!!
Old Jun 18th 2009, 2:47 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

OMIGOSH, they like totally got a picture of my backyard in that first shot. Wow (she says in a hyperactive stupid way).

Although I had to laugh at the inset (which mentioned Chris and Janice Gorman). It notes that although salaries are half the level in NZ, houses are much lower.

It then says how houses cost half what they do in the UK (£111k vs £200k+). My maths isn't the best but surely there is something wrong with that comparison (Half the cost of a house in the UK, but half the salary doesn't make housing cheaper does it??). Actually, I know a number of people in key worker type schemes in the UK (ok London) for purchasing property. Regardless of whether these are good or bad, I don't know if they exist here so that's a bit of a curly one in some regards to.

As for skiing being a short distance - yes it is. 4hours is a good distance but the article implies (to me anyway) that it's a bit closer.

Hell I am a kiwi and I am getting annoyed at the mistruths. It doesn't help people. Ok it's great that the positives are shown but to not indicate the negatives (even a hint) is a bit naughty.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Online Article about NZ - why we all love Nz apparently. (merged 2 threads)

There are some bizarre bits in that article. For a start, the average full-time earnings in NZ is around $45k, so where does the 10754UKP number come from? And the 50-86k percentage must be dollars as someone pointed out above.

On the other hand, if you move from Kingston on Thames, you are probably going to pay less than half to get an equivalent house here, so that sounds about right.

It's the usual Daily Mail exaggeration, but the essence - better climate and vastly lower population density - is why a lot of immigrants including myself like it here.

As for tax - if you include GST (12.5%) vs VAT (17.5%), lower petrol tax, no stamp duty, ACC vs National Insurance, no insurance premium tax (and several others like that) then I wouldn't be surprised if for a high earning, high spending family, the total tax burden is significantly lower. But I haven't done the sums.
Old Jun 18th 2009, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

W h a t s o e v e r. It's not even worth to talking about.

From now on, I wouldn't trust the UK press.

BBC? not sure if they do a better job than the Daily Mail or Mirror lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.