Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One way flight on a holiday visa

One way flight on a holiday visa

Old May 14th 2008, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of
Default One way flight on a holiday visa

My hubby and kids will be travelling to NZ on NZ passports but i was just going to go on my UK one and apply for my PR once there.

This seemed a good idea when i first thoguht it through months ago but now we have only 4 weeks until we leave (no flights booked yet) and starting to think maybe they'll deport me before I even get through immigration!

Is it feasible to travel on a one way ticket with only a holiday visa?

Please help!!!
Old May 14th 2008, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: One way flight on a holiday visa

Originally Posted by weebossyboots
My hubby and kids will be travelling to NZ on NZ passports but i was just going to go on my UK one and apply for my PR once there.

This seemed a good idea when i first thoguht it through months ago but now we have only 4 weeks until we leave (no flights booked yet) and starting to think maybe they'll deport me before I even get through immigration!

Please help!!!
I think you might be pushing it a bit, as they dont have any proof you are leaving the country

If u look at the foreign office information (see link) look at the visa bit

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...ia/new-zealand

hope this helps (if it works)

Dawn
Old May 14th 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Please help!!!
You won't be able get on the Plane in the UK without 'onward travel' arrangements in place. I did it by buying a one way ticket to Oz and had no problems whatsoever! The only other thing you need if you did it that way is a visa for entering Oz which is about $20AUS.
Old May 14th 2008, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

weebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud ofweebossyboots has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
You won't be able get on the Plane in the UK without 'onward travel' arrangements in place. I did it by buying a one way ticket to Oz and had no problems whatsoever! The only other thing you need if you did it that way is a visa for entering Oz which is about $20AUS.
Yeah, i thought i might buy an onward ticket to Oz and get an Oz holiday visa. I guess it's best to be safe than sorry. Very very sorry!
Old May 14th 2008, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kwprwn
I think you might be pushing it a bit, as they dont have any proof you are leaving the country

If u look at the foreign office information (see link) look at the visa bit

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-...ia/new-zealand

hope this helps (if it works)

Dawn
Thank you
Old May 15th 2008, 9:01 pm
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

I was just going to suggest having a one way to NZ and an out bound to OZ we are thinking the same but the other way round Flying to OZ one way and onward to Newzealand were we will stay for a week as we will be validating our PR visa then

Is that ok immigration will be happy once you have a out bound flight just I dont want to get there and be sent home
Old May 15th 2008, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

We actually bought a return ticket because my hubby was in the same situation as you... the kids and I had NZ passports, but we hadn't received the medicals or police checks prior to our departure, so were going to apply in NZ.

Immigration were fine with us on arrival at Auckland Airport, but informed us to get the application in ASAP!
Old May 16th 2008, 5:38 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Hello. No I definitely wouldn't recommend doing that. The first time we flew from Aussie to NZ (hubby and baby on Kiwi passport), we'd just had the baby and wanted to visit his rellies. We didn't buy an onward ticket because we intended to buy one in NZ to the UK. We arrived at the airport and the check in clerk said she couldn't let us board (Air NZ). My husband said it was a bit silly because they were kiwis and we flying back to see his family. She called her supervisor who said it would be OK. On arrival, I was pulled out at immigration and made to wait. They fined Air NZ for letting me board without the correct paperwork ($3000). They told me in future to have an onward or return ticket. This time around I got a tourist visa for Aussie online, and we bought me an onward ticket. I wouldn't risk the inconvenience of being caught up in immigration even if you are able to board the plane. At least you can get an onward ticket that's refundable. Bear in mind the onward ticket MUST be a country that you're allowed to enter, so get the visa for Aussie sorted as well. Good luck!
Old May 16th 2008, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

We've now booked

3 x flight to LA then Aukland
1 x flight to LA then Auckland then Oz in October complete with ETA (and I'm going to use it to escape them all for a weekend!)

that should be fine shouldn't it?

OH nearly had a major panic attack and I kept telling him it would be fine. He'll probably panic so much going through NZ immigration they'll think he's smuggling illegal substances!! Still, in that case he'll be arrested and I'll be fine
Old May 16th 2008, 10:25 am
Niamh,Paul + 4 :)

Baby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to beholdBaby75 is a splendid one to behold

We've now booked

3 x flight to LA then Aukland
1 x flight to LA then Auckland then Oz in October complete with ETA (and I'm going to use it to escape them all for a weekend!)

that should be fine shouldn't it?

OH nearly had a major panic attack and I kept telling him it would be fine. He'll probably panic so much going through NZ immigration they'll think he's smuggling illegal substances!! Still, in that case he'll be arrested and I'll be fine
Sounds right to me if your still worried can you email NZ government just to be sure it did say you just needed a onward flight out of NZ
Old May 21st 2008, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

Just heard today that the children's citizenship and passports won't be ready before we fly out on the 12th June!

Looks like they will be needing an onward flight to Sydney too! Bugger, i was wanting to use my flight later in teh year to meet up with friends - looks like the troops will be tagging along now!

You think after all this time i'd be more organised! Hell slap it into me!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Baby75
I was just going to suggest having a one way to NZ and an out bound to OZ we are thinking the same but the other way round Flying to OZ one way and onward to Newzealand were we will stay for a week as we will be validating our PR visa then

Is that ok immigration will be happy once you have a out bound flight just I dont want to get there and be sent home

Oz might be fine with you entering on a one way flight but NZ won't be - NZ is the problem - you need to have an onward journey from NZ before they will let you on the plane and as your final destination is NZ your plan won't work i'm afraid