Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

To one end of NZ to the other!!

To one end of NZ to the other!!

Old May 9th 2006, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

royalsfans is an unknown quantity at this point
Default from one end of NZ to the other!!

sorry to keep bombarding questions at you !

When we finally get over there!! We intend to tour NZ to find areas that we think we will like (sitting here in the UK it all looks great !! ) listed are the areas we would like to visit. how long do you think it will take us to tour, !

Thames
BOP
Gisbourne/Napier/Hawkes Bay

South Island as far as Christchurch

Also can you recommend nice villages/towns that you have experienced. Need usually amenities Schools etc!

I really think north island is for us, but the amount of rain that it appears to have is a little off putting, is it as bad as some make out? Also dont want to completely rule out south island as it is extremely beautiful. Please bear in mind we will be traveling with kids and want to look at stuff as we go along, I'm not planning to break the land speed record !!

We think around 4 weeks give or take a bit! is this realistic?

Last edited by royalsfans; May 9th 2006 at 5:28 pm.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: from one end of NZ to the other!!

Originally Posted by royalsfans
sorry to keep bombarding questions at you !
When we finally get over there!! We intend to tour NZ to find areas that we think we will like (sitting here in the UK it all looks great !! ) listed are the areas we would like to visit. how long do you think it will take us to tour, ! Thames BOP Gisbourne/Napier/Hawkes Bay South Island as far as Christchurch
Also can you recommend nice villages/towns that you have experienced. Need usually amenities Schools etc!
I really think north island is for us, but the amount of rain that it appears to have is a little off putting, is it as bad as some make out? Also dont want to completely rule out south island as it is extremely beautiful. Please bear in mind we will be traveling with kids and want to look at stuff as we go along, I'm not planning to break the land speed record !!

I think the first thing you need to do is find out where you are likely to get work... you don't state above whether you have taken that into consideration or not. Eg Hokitika and Alexandra are lovely little towns but you may not be able to earn a living there.

The rain tends to divide along west/east lines, east coast tends to be drier for both islands.
I would suggest being in one place for a week, so choose four places to have alook at and to give you a base for day trips. Eg, BOP, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch. Accommodation will be cheaper in you are in one place for a while. You will be able to see more driving through. I don't imagine you will keep the kids interest if you move on every couple of days, and then only look at schools and houses. Schedule in time for walking in the National Parks just to give yourselves a break from towns and research.
Old May 9th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

IainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really niceIainW is just really nice
Default Re: from one end of NZ to the other!!

Originally Posted by royalsfans

A tour is a very good idea, and 4 weeks sounds reasonable. Much more than that and you'll be getting fed up.

Presumably you're arriving in Auckland? I'd allow 3-4 days just chilling out, doing the museums & a few boat trips to get over the jet lag before setting off on a tour. If you like the sound of NI, why not try and see a bit more? You should add Rotorua, Taupo, Wanganui, Hamilton and Wellington to your list as they are all fairly easy to get to as you snake your way down the country. Some nice family friendly things to do there as well - Rotorua has lots of touristy things, Taupo is great for a few days if you like splashing about in the water, Wanganui offers a great family friendly multi-day canoeing/jet boat trip. In between you have the Wanganui & Tongariro National Parks, which are great places to get out and about in the hills.

Rainfall & sunshine hours vary wildly depending on where you are - for instance we are in Wanganui on the west coast which has a rainfall of about 860mm a year. We can see Mount Taranaki from here, and that has an annual rainfall of 7m+!!! New Plymouth, the town on the far side of the mountain has a rainfall of about 1400mm. According to the met office, we have just entered a 20 year weather cycle which will mean lots more rain for places like BOP, Coromandel & the NI east coast in general - hence the recent flooding there. If you're really not keen on rain, avoid the west coast of SI and Northland
Old May 10th 2006, 10:21 am
Just Joined

RodandEm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: To one end of NZ to the other!!

we were discussing this last night.

considering 4 weeks ourselves, a week in each place. now its just a matter of selecting the 4 places carefully !

there is only so much you can do on the internet, we really need to experience it for ourselves to get a proper idea of the reality of it all.