Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One of the biggest problems affecting NZ

One of the biggest problems affecting NZ

Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:12 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of the biggest problems affecting NZ

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Not the job market. Not crime. Not the cold housing. Not boy racers, or the lack of decent telly. Not food. Not the mongrel mob.

The biggest problem with NZ is boredom. It really is a boring place to live. Well I find it about as exciting as watching the grass grow. Any one else?
Try living in Perth... in comparison to 'watching grass grow', it's like watching new cars rust
Old Jul 5th 2007, 4:24 pm
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Once you've done all the scenic sites there isn't that much more to hold your interest. I'm waiting for someone to offer the old chestnut : only boring people get bored.

A couple of things which would make NZ more interesting for me :
cigar bars and a decent jazz venue. How about an ice rink? Less focus on rugby more on football. Decent newspapers. A chinatown.

That indefineable jenais se quoi you feel in an interesting city : Hong-kong, London,Cape Town, New york, San Fransisco, Sydney, Bangkok, LA, Paris.

Hard to explain...NZ is probably a good place to retire too or raise a family but not for those of us still single without kids.
I think part of the problem lies in our expectations vs the reality of the difference and the inevitable comparisons we make. I found NZ to be lively on a different level because I easily made friends, found work, and became a part of a social circle. In OZ it has been completely the opposite for me.

No matter where we live, we can only do and see the 'highlights' so often. No city in NZ can be a replica of somewhere else, nor should it aim to be. If you migrate somewhere and try to make a new life, it takes time. If you're not in a place where life engages you after a couple or so years there, then maybe it is time to ask why? and if you can't change things perhaps it's time to move on? I know for me personally, I am long overdue to leave the place I live in.Planning a move is now a very high priority for me.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
I think part of the problem lies in our expectations vs the reality of the difference and the inevitable comparisons we make. I found NZ to be lively on a different level because I easily made friends, found work, and became a part of a social circle. In OZ it has been completely the opposite for me.

No matter where we live, we can only do and see the 'highlights' so often. No city in NZ can be a replica of somewhere else, nor should it aim to be. If you migrate somewhere and try to make a new life, it takes time. If you're not in a place where life engages you after a couple or so years there, then maybe it is time to ask why? and if you can't change things perhaps it's time to move on? I know for me personally, I am long overdue to leave the place I live in.Planning a move is now a very high priority for me.
Where to? Any ideas?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:32 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by RedMonsk
Where to? Any ideas?
For me? For you? For the OP?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

NZ has to keep us from boredom..

My motorcylce racing

Golf

Sailing

Skiing

Swimming

Clubs and new friends in all of the above

Life is what you make of it..............
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodlea
Depends where you're from in the UK, there is so much more for our kids to do here in Chch than we ever had in rural Aberdeenshire - unless you like castles and distilleries (which I did by the way!)
comparing a city (chch) to rural Aberdeen is not really the same thing is it? Comparing Aberdeen to Chch might be more realistic....
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

imagine living in NZ pre internet? Scary.
I lived in NZ pre internet. but of course no place had the internet so we didn't think of it. But I will agree with mingusdynasty. NZ bored me to tears. I lived there a loooong time and was almost suicidal for the last few years. The second I left I realised how bored and frustrated I was--at the time, I thought it was just me, but once I was out of there, I realised it was the country. I found, amoung many many things, that the interesting people are the ones who leave and set up their lives elsewhere. Everyone I met who I wanted to get to know better was on their way out. The hackneyed phrase "life is what you make it" only goes so far; eventually one does have to recognise that the place just doesn't suit and move on.

Last edited by ezvanetree; Jul 5th 2007 at 7:39 pm. Reason: left out a crucial word
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:25 pm
Jedi Princess

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
Ihackneyed phrase "life is what you make" only goes so far; eventually one does have to recognise that the place just doesn't suit and move on.
Exactly how I feel about Perth, and to some degree, about OZ in general.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:26 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Exactly how I feel about Perth, and to some degree, about OZ in general.
Judging by many posts on this website, Perth seems to be one of the worst places to live in. Too isolated? Too 'Australian'? People often complained about Japan and I would say "However bad things are, at least it's not Korea"

Should "At least it's not Australia" be my new catchphrase in NZ?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:45 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Avid
"However bad things are, at least it's not Korea"
I worked in Korea back in the early 90s. I remember seeing the visa-runners from Japan landing in Seoul with full wallets and empty suitcases. They left with full suitcases and still bulging wallets. They were a marvel to behold to us unqualified illegally employed English teachers toiling away in dodgy English language academies.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by happynz
I worked in Korea back in the early 90s. I remember seeing the visa-runners from Japan landing in Seoul with full wallets and empty suitcases. They left with full suitcases and still bulging wallets. They were a marvel to behold to us unqualified illegally employed English teachers toiling away in dodgy English language academies.
Sorry, going to show my ignorance here again, but what is a visa runner?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:02 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leighlou
Sorry, going to show my ignorance here again, but what is a visa runner?
Sometimes people need to exit the country to secure a new visa. In this case, Korea is the closest country to Japan. When I lived in Thailand I was on the once-a-month run. Stamp out of Thailand, stamp into Malaysia, walk across the road, stamp out of Malaysia, walk across the border and stamp back into Thailand. Did that for almost three years. Yup, I did have a lot of extra pages glued into my passport.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:26 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ezvanetree
The hackneyed phrase "life is what you make it" only goes so far; eventually one does have to recognise that the place just doesn't suit and move on.
Im different to a lot of the people on here. I came on a working holiday visa with very little to lose from the experience.

While I had no intention of ever going back to the UK at that time, after the first month in NZ, I was thinking of leaving, to go somewhere else - probably back to South Africa. I know a couple of characters who have done that.

It just didn't have what I was expecting. Bear in mind that I didn't have access to this kind of forum. The only advice I had about NZ was from a mate who had briefly set foot in Wellington with the Navy.

NZ was pretty much of the radar with everyone I knew.

I had my trusty lonely planet guide as the only source of info and it sounded great. I'll have a piece of sub tropical Auckland I thought.

I know this sounds, well, dumb, but one of the reasons I came over was because I had read in Bike Magazine UK, that NZ had some of the best biking roads in the world. And it has. Granted.

But as I travelled around the North and south Island I quickly realised that NZ was not for me.

I know this sounds bloody minded but one reason why I didn't go back to England was because of all the knockers I had. Stuff like "You'll never get a job" blah blah blah.

Well I showed them! I stayed for the next 7.5 years. Did the boy meets girl thing, bought a house, got a job, and tried so fricking hard to settle here, but it is just not meant to be. I could stay here another 100 years and I know I would feel the same as when I first stepped of the plane in Auckland.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
Good god...the ambulance crews are Freemasons? You learn something every day...

NZ is a place for families with young kids, retirees, bookish types, mountain climbers ...not yuppies (and their puppies).

People who either never go out or never stay in..basically.

It's not a place for coffee shop intellectuals...despite all the coffee shops.

Thank goodness for the Internet, eh?
Good for kids if they are sports mad. You don't need to isolate children in a remote island for them to experience the Great Outdoors. Books, used and new are expensive. Librarians are fickle. Even mountain climbers spend their prime years taking OE! The highest mountain in NZ is only a little over 12,000 ft.

Coffee shops are a place to deconstruct the latest rugby game.

NZ is best for NZers, and those with an affinity for Kiwi culture.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Weezer
! The highest mountain in NZ is only a little over 12,000 ft.
I am sorry, I can't resist it - how big is the highest mountain in the UK again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.