Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One of the biggest problems affecting NZ

One of the biggest problems affecting NZ

Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:20 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default One of the biggest problems affecting NZ

Not the job market. Not crime. Not the cold housing. Not boy racers, or the lack of decent telly. Not food. Not the mongrel mob.

The biggest problem with NZ is boredom. It really is a boring place to live. Well I find it about as exciting as watching the grass grow. Any one else?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One of the biggest problems affecting NZ

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Not the job market. Not crime. Not the cold housing. Not boy racers, or the lack of decent telly. Not food. Not the mongrel mob.

The biggest problem with NZ is boredom. It really is a boring place to live. Well I find it about as exciting as watching the grass grow. Any one else?
No.

Gill
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:39 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I dunno. Which country would you feel less bored in? Not that I give a damn.

Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:45 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Thank goodness for that...I thought you were going to say asians!!

I dunno...looking at it another way, what would make NZ less boring for you?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
No.

Gill
Nope, I am not bored either.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

I don't find it all boring but then again I'd done "exciting" to death so coming to NZ was a real plus.

My kids on the other hand think it is the most boring place on earth and can't wait to leave.

Me thinks it's partially an age thing, partially a grass is greener thing and partially (probably) lots of other things as well.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:23 am
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Avid
Thank goodness for that...I thought you were going to say asians!!

I dunno...looking at it another way, what would make NZ less boring for you?
haha nah, my asian friends add some color to the place - imagine NZ without them!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

The grass grows really fast here, you have to admit. Needs constant mowing.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Weezer
The grass grows really fast here, you have to admit. Needs constant mowing.
Once you've done all the scenic sites there isn't that much more to hold your interest. I'm waiting for someone to offer the old chestnut : only boring people get bored.

A couple of things which would make NZ more interesting for me :
cigar bars and a decent jazz venue. How about an ice rink? Less focus on rugby more on football. Decent newspapers. A chinatown.

That indefineable jenais se quoi you feel in an interesting city : Hong-kong, London,Cape Town, New york, San Fransisco, Sydney, Bangkok, LA, Paris.

Hard to explain...NZ is probably a good place to retire too or raise a family but not for those of us still single without kids.

Last edited by mingusdynasty; Jul 5th 2007 at 6:54 am. Reason: forgot a couple of crackers
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Once you've done all the scenic sites there isn't that much more to hold your interest. I'm waiting for someone to offer the old chestnut : only boring people get bored.
Not from me. I've been told that already.
Anyway, it's possible I wouldn't find NZ boring, but I'd have to become a different person with different experiences. And I'd have to like team sports.
Which I DON'T. AT ALL.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

That indefineable jenais se quoi you feel in an interesting city : Hong-kong, London, San Fransisco, Sydney, Bangkok, LA, Paris.

Hard to explain...NZ is probably a good place to retire too or raise a family but not for those of us still single without kids.
You left out NYC, which has the Blue Note in the Village.

I wouldn't want to retire in a place I found lacking in interest when I was younger. And we are leaving, partly because we want to raise our family elsewhere. So go figure. This place is not for everyone.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:55 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Weezer
You left out NYC, which has the Blue Note in the Village.

I wouldn't want to retire in a place I found lacking in interest when I was younger. And we are leaving, partly because we want to raise our family elsewhere. So go figure. This place is not for everyone.
NYC my dream destination!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

Apple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant futureApple13 has a brilliant future

A couple of things which would make NZ more interesting for me :
cigar bars and a decent jazz venue. How about an ice rink? Less focus on rugby more on football. Decent newspapers. A chinatown.

That indefineable jenais se quoi you feel in an interesting city : Hong-kong, London,Cape Town, New york, San Fransisco, Sydney, Bangkok, LA, Paris.

There is an icerink here in ChCh if that helps?
Of course if you are in NZ you don't have the buzz of the big cities that you mentioned. Isn't that just obvious?
If you wanted to have the buzz of a big city like that, why don't you live in one?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:02 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Apple13
There is an icerink here in ChCh if that helps?
Of course if you are in NZ you don't have the buzz of the big cities that you mentioned. Isn't that just obvious?
If you wanted to have the buzz of a big city like that, why don't you live in one?

The US is too hard to get a green card. Id be there tommorrow if I could get one. Realistically im left with certain places like London, Sydney, Melbourne, and maybe if I was really adventurous Paris.

Canada might be an option.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

NYC my dream destination!
Not to gloat, but I will soon be spending a month back home with my family, who live within an easy train ride to NYC! They live in a nice house with a 3/4 acre property so I won't be stuck in an urban hell by any means.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.