Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

One for all you gardeners out there

One for all you gardeners out there

Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:14 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default One for all you gardeners out there

We have recently bought a property and its has 24 of these monsters in it.

Flippin Toi Toi. Fiberious as $%^&! Resists all attempts at weed wacking, chain sawing etc

How do I get rid of these b#$%^^ds? (burning, digger not really an option).
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:18 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: One for all you gardeners out there

Know anyone with a goat?
Old Feb 26th 2016, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Not toetoe I think but pampas grass from S Africa!
Different flowering times.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 4:03 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

just spoken to a friend who is a gardener. She says cut out as much as you can then spray with a weed killer with main ingredient of glyphosate. - cheaper than roundup a few times. If that doesn't work you will have to sort to digging out and would probably need to hire a digger. so depends if you just go with hiring the digger straight off or trying to use the glyphosate.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 5:34 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

What ever you do, wear very good protective clothing, the leaves are VERY sharp and VERY tough, chainsaw, as has been suggested, is an excellent idea. One of the things suggested in the UK to PRUNE them is to set fire to the plant, if you do it in early spring that should kill off the growing parts,( for pruning that timing isn't recommended)
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:12 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

My mum used to cut them back then burn them
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Not toetoe I think but pampas grass from S Africa!
Different flowering times.
Actually.... S America!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 10:50 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: One for all you gardeners out there

Shovel road salt around the base of the plants. Once the plants have died water the area for a few weeks or wait a couple of years if you want to replant.
Old Mar 3rd 2016, 2:08 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Just pay an expert to come round and do it for you. Plenty of people around with the tools and knowledge.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
just spoken to a friend who is a gardener. She says cut out as much as you can then spray with a weed killer with main ingredient of glyphosate. - cheaper than roundup a few times. If that doesn't work you will have to sort to digging out and would probably need to hire a digger. so depends if you just go with hiring the digger straight off or trying to use the glyphosate.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient of Roundup which has now been shown to enter bloodstream and cause cancer and is persistant in water ways. I suggest reducing size and burning or digger if available and then burning to destroy all seed. Don't come to NZ and pollute it with this horror!
Old Mar 27th 2016, 12:20 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caryatid
Glyphosate is the active ingredient of Roundup which has now been shown to enter bloodstream and cause cancer...
Last time I looked it was an IARC "probable carcinogen" 2B but the research was very sketchy. To put this into perspective coffee and pickled vegetables are also ranked as a 2B .
Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:53 am
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catchafire
We have recently bought a property and its has 24 of these monsters in it.

...Resists all attempts at weed wacking, chain sawing etc

How do I get rid of these... burning, digger not really an option.
If you have vehicle access to them, use a garden tractor or 4X4 with a chain to pull them out.
Alternatively just trim them using Duct Tape first, then a chainsaw (see You Tube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lmgx-SCsl8)

Good luck!

JC3
Old Mar 27th 2016, 4:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Last time I looked it was an IARC "probable carcinogen" 2B but the research was very sketchy. To put this into perspective coffee and pickled vegetables are also ranked as a 2B .
As a coffee drinker I am therefore living on borrowed time having used glyphosate most of my life (where appropriate). It is lucky the only pickled veg I eat is sauerkraut :-)

Last edited by Kotare; Mar 27th 2016 at 4:08 am.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 4:18 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caryatid
Don't come to NZ and pollute it with this horror!
err its sold here so don't blame people for using it. As as pointed out research is sketchy and it is the same level as coffee from what Charismatic states, so perhaps NZ shouldn't promote itself as the coffee centre of the world
Old Mar 27th 2016, 4:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Kotare
As a coffee drinker I am therefore living on borrowed time having used glyphosate most of my life (where appropriate).
Because there is some ambiguity in your post I want to make clear I'm not advocating you add it to your coffee . I don't want to get letters from the Monsanto marketing department telling me what a great job I've done growing the market for their product.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.