British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   One for all you gardeners out there (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/one-all-you-gardeners-out-there-873321/)

Catchafire Feb 26th 2016 3:14 am

One for all you gardeners out there

We have recently bought a property and its has 24 of these monsters in it.

https://www.gardenerdirect.com/publi...te-400x250.jpg

Flippin Toi Toi. Fiberious as $%^&! Resists all attempts at weed wacking, chain sawing etc

How do I get rid of these b#$%^^ds? (burning, digger not really an option).

old.sparkles Feb 26th 2016 3:18 am

Re: One for all you gardeners out there

Know anyone with a goat?

LoCarb Feb 26th 2016 4:01 am

Not toetoe I think but pampas grass from S Africa!
Different flowering times.

MrsFychan Feb 26th 2016 4:03 am

just spoken to a friend who is a gardener. She says cut out as much as you can then spray with a weed killer with main ingredient of glyphosate. - cheaper than roundup a few times. If that doesn't work you will have to sort to digging out and would probably need to hire a digger. so depends if you just go with hiring the digger straight off or trying to use the glyphosate.

mikelincs Feb 26th 2016 5:34 am

What ever you do, wear very good protective clothing, the leaves are VERY sharp and VERY tough, chainsaw, as has been suggested, is an excellent idea. One of the things suggested in the UK to PRUNE them is to set fire to the plant, if you do it in early spring that should kill off the growing parts,( for pruning that timing isn't recommended)

Sparkleydiva Feb 26th 2016 6:12 am

My mum used to cut them back then burn them

LoCarb Feb 26th 2016 6:29 am

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 11879891)
Not toetoe I think but pampas grass from S Africa!
Different flowering times.

Actually.... S America!

Charismatic Feb 28th 2016 10:50 pm

Shovel road salt around the base of the plants. Once the plants have died water the area for a few weeks or wait a couple of years if you want to replant.

jmh Mar 3rd 2016 2:08 am

Just pay an expert to come round and do it for you. Plenty of people around with the tools and knowledge.

Caryatid Mar 26th 2016 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 11879892)
just spoken to a friend who is a gardener. She says cut out as much as you can then spray with a weed killer with main ingredient of glyphosate. - cheaper than roundup a few times. If that doesn't work you will have to sort to digging out and would probably need to hire a digger. so depends if you just go with hiring the digger straight off or trying to use the glyphosate.

Glyphosate is the active ingredient of Roundup which has now been shown to enter bloodstream and cause cancer and is persistant in water ways. I suggest reducing size and burning or digger if available and then burning to destroy all seed. Don't come to NZ and pollute it with this horror!

Charismatic Mar 27th 2016 12:20 am

Originally Posted by Caryatid (Post 11905936)
Glyphosate is the active ingredient of Roundup which has now been shown to enter bloodstream and cause cancer...

Last time I looked it was an IARC "probable carcinogen" 2B but the research was very sketchy. To put this into perspective coffee and pickled vegetables are also ranked as a 2B :lol:.

JC3 Mar 27th 2016 2:53 am

Originally Posted by Catchafire (Post 11879866)
We have recently bought a property and its has 24 of these monsters in it.

...Resists all attempts at weed wacking, chain sawing etc

How do I get rid of these... burning, digger not really an option.

If you have vehicle access to them, use a garden tractor or 4X4 with a chain to pull them out.
Alternatively just trim them using Duct Tape first, then a chainsaw (see You Tube video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lmgx-SCsl8)

Good luck!

JC3

Kotare Mar 27th 2016 4:06 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 11906216)
Last time I looked it was an IARC "probable carcinogen" 2B but the research was very sketchy. To put this into perspective coffee and pickled vegetables are also ranked as a 2B :lol:.

As a coffee drinker I am therefore living on borrowed time having used glyphosate most of my life (where appropriate). It is lucky the only pickled veg I eat is sauerkraut :-)

MrsFychan Mar 27th 2016 4:18 am

Originally Posted by Caryatid (Post 11905936)
Don't come to NZ and pollute it with this horror!

err its sold here so don't blame people for using it. As as pointed out research is sketchy and it is the same level as coffee from what Charismatic states, so perhaps NZ shouldn't promote itself as the coffee centre of the world

Charismatic Mar 27th 2016 4:52 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 11906291)
As a coffee drinker I am therefore living on borrowed time having used glyphosate most of my life (where appropriate).

Because there is some ambiguity in your post I want to make clear I'm not advocating you add it to your coffee :eek:. I don't want to get letters from the Monsanto marketing department telling me what a great job I've done growing the market for their product.