Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Once Were Warriors Trilogy

Once Were Warriors Trilogy

Old Feb 28th 2007, 9:59 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Once Were Warriors Trilogy

I finished reading the third book of Alan Duff's trilogy last night

Once Were Warriors
What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
Jake's Long Shadow

Definitely an excellent read. Very dark, disturbing, violent, sad, but also positive, optimistic, eye-opening.

Haven't seen the movie(s) yet. We bought Once Were Warriors at the Warehouse for $8 - just need to get in the right frame of mind to watch it!

Anyone else read the books?
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Once Were Warriors Trilogy

Swop you a loan of the books for a loan of our Billy Connolloy in NZ dvd
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:16 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
Swop you a loan of the books for a loan of our Billy Connolloy in NZ dvd
You're on - though I only own the first two, I borrowed the third from the library.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Nice one Rob - you aren't far from us - do you want to PM me and we'll organise to meet up to do a swop? We're not working yet so will fit in with you and Mrs C
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
Nice one Rob - you aren't far from us - do you want to PM me and we'll organise to meet up to do a swop? We're not working yet so will fit in with you and Mrs C
Sounds like I'm off the hook.

Hey Rob & Melanie, you want to come out to the Kapiti Coast for Easter (probably Saturday)? I mean, as well as meeting up for drinks or lunch (we have a 5-year old in tow) when we're in Welly from the night of the 9th to the 12th?
Old Mar 1st 2007, 5:44 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know there was a third one! Has it been made into a film yet Rob? I'll read the book first anyway though. Cool.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Originally Posted by RobClubley
I finished reading the third book of Alan Duff's trilogy last night

Once Were Warriors
What Becomes of the Broken Hearted
Jake's Long Shadow

Definitely an excellent read. Very dark, disturbing, violent, sad, but also positive, optimistic, eye-opening.

Haven't seen the movie(s) yet. We bought Once Were Warriors at the Warehouse for $8 - just need to get in the right frame of mind to watch it!

Anyone else read the books?

its a bit depressing that film I bought it from ebay but its a bloody great film though.

Will have to look into the books to see what happens to the family.
Old Mar 1st 2007, 7:07 pm
Happy in Wellington

Originally Posted by Batty
I didn't know there was a third one! Has it been made into a film yet Rob? I'll read the book first anyway though. Cool.
It hasn't been filmed that I know of, nothing on IMDB.

Originally Posted by Maz
Sounds like I'm off the hook.

Hey Rob & Melanie, you want to come out to the Kapiti Coast for Easter (probably Saturday)? I mean, as well as meeting up for drinks or lunch (we have a 5-year old in tow) when we're in Welly from the night of the 9th to the 12th?
Yes but thanks for the offer. We definitely want to come up to Kapiti, yes, and meet for drinks or whatever

Originally Posted by ballsrburning
its a bit depressing that film I bought it from ebay but its a bloody great film though.

Will have to look into the books to see what happens to the family.
It gets more depressing but ends on a much more positive note as Jake grows older and wiser. Good stuff.