Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OMG Winter is upon us

OMG Winter is upon us

Old May 29th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute
Default OMG Winter is upon us

ITS fffffffffffffffff freezing! No matter the 4 oil filled radiators and a broken gas heater!

HELP this is only the beginning and its cold enough to wear a hat.

Central heating is the finest invention, why oh why must I do without.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrr, off to my electric blanket
Old May 29th 2007, 10:52 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG Winter is upon us

Originally Posted by Birdey

ITS fffffffffffffffff freezing! No matter the 4 oil filled radiators and a broken gas heater!

Yup, had the first frost of the year here in Hamilton
At least we have a heat pump at one end of the house and various heaters at the other.
I shut my daughter's bedroom door for 5 minutes this morning, to let her super duper little fan heater heat up her super duper little bedroom. Forgot that both kitties were in there.... they have been there all night with access to the dirt tray if needed.........no.....in the 5 minutes that the door was shut, one of the little b@st@rds had to piss on the carpet. Nearly got itself drop-kicked off the deck for that
Old May 29th 2007, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi

i know i am not in new zealand yet, i am 10 miles north of newcastle at the moment and it is like the middle of winter here as well, we have turrned out central heating off for the summer as we have had some lovely weather and the last couple of days it has been freezing and pouring with rain. so much for our summer, fingers crossed it might arrive when june comes

thought i'd just send this as i did not want you to think you were missing the great british summer

with regards

kirstie
Old May 29th 2007, 12:49 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Of course the weather will turn to custard. Next week I'll get home from gloriously gorgeous California and right into the guts of a South Island winter. I am looking forward to that...

Old May 29th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Of course the weather will turn to custard. Next week I'll get home from gloriously gorgeous California and right into the guts of a South Island winter. I am looking forward to that...

Dude,where in Cal;ifornia you been? We were in San Fran a few years ago,and I've spent 3 months in Los Altos just North of SF,as well as a couple of times in LA. That place rocks-it's just run by loons!!
Old May 29th 2007, 10:00 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by danny.f
Dude,where in Cal;ifornia you been? We were in San Fran a few years ago,and I've spent 3 months in Los Altos just North of SF,as well as a couple of times in LA. That place rocks-it's just run by loons!!
I'm in Sunnyvale, right in the heart of the Silicon Valley.
Old May 29th 2007, 10:51 pm

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

'4 oil filled radiators in Napier'

What a terrifying thought....I seen 'video nasty' titles that are less scary than that...

(hmmmmm....'I Spit on your Heat Pump'..... catchy!)
Old May 29th 2007, 11:58 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

You needn't.

There are much, much better heating solutions available in NZ than what you seem to have now.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:09 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but its all cost and right now that doesnt warm the toe-toes! If I was staying we would get a DVS or something similar, a friend of mine has had it fitted in her house and cant speak highly enough about it!

I am pleased to say that the temps are back up here today, it is a balmy 14 and I am so pleased! I keep saying, this time last year!! It was so much colder, for me anyway, we had the fire going everyday and it was certainly the worst winter we have had so far here. So this winter so far has been good for us. We also limp on with poor heating solutions!!
Old May 30th 2007, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

Birdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond reputeBirdey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
You needn't.

There are much, much better heating solutions available in NZ than what you seem to have now.
Ahh I know petal, but were only doing 1 NZ winter before heading back to Australia, so its a make do and mend for us!
Considering taking up knitting, maybe I can knit us a carpet or something

Either that, or attempt to get the gas heater repaired, I wonder if people still do repairs?

Urm.
Old May 30th 2007, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Avid
'4 oil filled radiators in Napier'

What a terrifying thought....I seen 'video nasty' titles that are less scary than that...

(hmmmmm....'I Spit on your Heat Pump'..... catchy!)
Old May 31st 2007, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

fairyjasmine will become famous soon enoughfairyjasmine will become famous soon enough

Ohh goshh..just have to moan here on this thread

It's freeeeeeeezingggg..I soo can't stand the nights and mornings. I so feel like staying in bed all the time just because of the electric blanket. have to rely on oil fin heater as we are in rented. Dare to think what our bill will look like and yet we are still freezing burrrr
Old May 31st 2007, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by fairyjasmine

It's freeeeeeeezingggg..I soo can't stand the nights and mornings. I so feel like staying in bed all the time just because of the electric blanket. have to rely on oil fin heater as we are in rented. Dare to think what our bill will look like and yet we are still freezing burrrr
This your first winter in New Zealand? If so, it's gonna be a long long one.

Oh well, get out of bed, put the kettle on, have a cuppa. Get a hot shower, get dressed and get to work. I bet they have heating. Oh yeah, before you leave be sure to squeegee those crying windows.

I love New Zealand summers. New Zealand winters are not my favourite.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fairyjasmine

And it's not particularly cold yet, wait till the condensation starts
Old May 31st 2007, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

fairyjasmine will become famous soon enoughfairyjasmine will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by happynz
This your first winter in New Zealand? If so, it's gonna be a long long one.

Oh well, get out of bed, put the kettle on, have a cuppa. Get a hot shower, get dressed and get to work. I bet they have heating. Oh yeah, before you leave be sure to squeegee those crying windows.

I love New Zealand summers. New Zealand winters are not my favourite.
Yep..my 1st winter..read about how the houses are not insulated and how cold it is here blady blah..but when I'm actually here, it's worse that I had imagined At least it gets warm during the day, makes it bearable at least, and ohh hot water bottle has become my best friend and I never thought I'd own a wheat bag (has one on the way as we speak, bought from trademe)

hate hate stepping into that cold bathroom in the morning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.