Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OMG what have we done??

OMG what have we done??

Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of
Unhappy OMG what have we done??

After a year of harping on about a better life for our children (11 and 13), less stress or at least a different kind of stress for my OH, more family time etc etc. My husband has gone and got a job offer. Why do I feel sick and have a feeling of impending doom?

I suspect this is normal. Most people must have felt this way as well.

Thanks for listening
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:21 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG what have we done??

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
After a year of harping on about a better life for our children (11 and 13), less stress or at least a different kind of stress for my OH, more family time etc etc. My husband has gone and got a job offer. Why do I feel sick and have a feeling of impending doom?

Thanks for listening
It's extremely normal. Karma for that. Just vent away whenever you need to.

So where are you headed and when?
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

Foxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud ofFoxesecho has much to be proud of

Thanks Maz

We are heading Auckland way. Why leave???

I feel things are getting quite bad over here. We have had 2 murders within 2 weeks. One even reached the national news, the other only the local. We don't live in a city just a small town. There are tensions between certain groups in the society and I don't want to be here when all hell lets loose.

I want my girls to grow up in a less peer pressured society, my husband to have less stress in an organisation which is failing and no-one wants to see it, only complain about it. I would like more family time cycling, walking etc. A little warmth, it is freezing here. lol.

I think I am making sense.

I keep thinking lots of people have made the leap and landed safely, so can we. Its just seems so frightening now it is a reality.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Professional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to allProfessional_Gypsy is a name known to all

Im sure you will love it here. If your staying Auckland way you can forget the word 'freezing' for a while - at least until you become aclimatized when you think 15 degrees is freezing!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:40 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Impending doom? ...no, it's not that bad!

One piece of advice if I may? when it comes to emigration always go for the pull - and not the push. Well known concept.
Old Dec 19th 2007, 10:46 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nerine
Impending doom? ...no, it's not that bad!

One piece of advice if I may? when it comes to emigration always go for the pull - and not the push. Well known concept.
Excellent advice. You will settle better if you want to be here in New Zealand. However, not everyone has the luxury of bailing out. Consider yourself lucky to have the means to do this.

Good luck.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

carriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nicecarriem41 is just really nice

Its completely normal, you are moving out of your comfort zone even if its not in great surroundings, waking up during the night with panic is a normal reaction and you`ll go through all kind of last minute questions....thing is weve all experienced it and we got here and have stayed here, yes a few return or pingpong but they are very much in the minority. We moved after a similar expereince of a murder on our street for our children and they love it....thoughts of the UK... returning fills me with a feeling of impending doom so we are staying stuck!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Hi where abouts in West Yorkshire are you?

QUOTE=Foxesecho;5684213]After a year of harping on about a better life for our children (11 and 13), less stress or at least a different kind of stress for my OH, more family time etc etc. My husband has gone and got a job offer. Why do I feel sick and have a feeling of impending doom?

Thanks for listening[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 12:34 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: OMG what have we done??

Thanks for the replies.

After a few nights sleep the 'impending doom' has lifted and I feel alot better and calmer. Just going to wait until after Christmas then can get started on all we need to do to get ready to go.

The children are quite excited about the prospect of going, so that helps.

Animal crackers we live just outside Dewsbury
Old Dec 22nd 2007, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

We're not a million miles from you so if you ever want to meet up and have a chat just pm us!!

Originally Posted by Foxesecho
Thanks for the replies.

After a few nights sleep the 'impending doom' has lifted and I feel alot better and calmer. Just going to wait until after Christmas then can get started on all we need to do to get ready to go.

The children are quite excited about the prospect of going, so that helps.

Animal crackers we live just outside Dewsbury