British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OMG The Irish Are Coming (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/omg-irish-coming-399618/)

thebears Sep 30th 2006 10:54 pm

OMG The Irish Are Coming

Seems to be alot more Irish folk on the forum - and I couldnt be happier :)

For any of you already arrived in Auckland have any of you found a particular pub that serves a decent pint of guiness or murphys?

Has been a long time since i was last back so looking for a decent "Irish" Pub to spend New Years. Used to frequent Kittys near victoria market.

Kiwi

Buzzy--Bee Oct 1st 2006 5:36 am

Re: OMG The Irish Are Coming

Originally Posted by thebears

For any of you already arrived in Auckland have any of you found a particular pub that serves a decent pint of guiness or murphys?

Has been a long time since i was last back so looking for a decent "Irish" Pub to spend New Years. Used to frequent Kittys near victoria market.

Kiwi

NZ is full of Irish pubs isn't it mate? In Greymouth, believe it or not, there is a pub called "The Australian". The man who ran it, Mike Donovan, changed his name to Mike O'Donovan, started serving Guinness and called it an Irish pub. Sooo what qualifies a pub as an Irish pub?

:beer:

Buzzy

sky Oct 1st 2006 6:38 am

There's some really nice theme bar irish pubs around Christchurch, I think the pubs here are really starting to improve even from three years ago ... they're getting a lot more cosy looking :)

Batty Oct 1st 2006 7:17 am

Originally Posted by thebears

Kiwi

There's an Irish pub opposite Sky Tower. (I can't remember the name now). It is the closest I've seen to a 'proper' Irish pub. Irish staff, Irish customers etc. Not very much in the way of 'Oirishness' :D An Irish pub is all about the atomosphere. I used to work in one in The Hague and it used to drive me mad - diddely yah music. Nobody listens to that in a pub in Ireland but it perputates the myth outside the country :rolleyes:

And thanks Bears :) Oooh, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now :D

waynepfry Oct 1st 2006 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Batty
There's an Irish pub opposite Sky Tower. (I can't remember the name now). It is the closest I've seen to a 'proper' Irish pub. Irish staff, Irish customers etc. Not very much in the way of 'Oirishness' :D An Irish pub is all about the atomosphere. I used to work in one in The Hague and it used to drive me mad - diddely yah music. Nobody listens to that in a pub in Ireland but it perputates the myth outside the country :rolleyes:

And thanks Bears :) Oooh, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now :D

Hiya
The pubs called the fiddlers and it's brill :beer: Hubby and i have only been here in Auckland for 4 weeks and it's the best pub we have been in and go every Friday and sometimes through the week.
we are not Irish but we love it and the people are so friendly.
They play all kinds of music and have live bands on too,
Jane

Batty Oct 2nd 2006 6:55 am

Originally Posted by waynepfry
Hiya
The pubs called the fiddlers and it's brill :beer: Hubby and i have only been here in Auckland for 4 weeks and it's the best pub we have been in and go every Friday and sometimes through the week.
we are not Irish but we love it and the people are so friendly.
They play all kinds of music and have live bands on too,
Jane

Yep, that's it :D It's got a lovely feel to it. You've only a couple of weeks till you move into your house haven't you? Getting excited??? :)

waynepfry Oct 2nd 2006 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by Batty
Yep, that's it :D It's got a lovely feel to it. You've only a couple of weeks till you move into your house haven't you? Getting excited??? :)

yep can't wait then it's no going out at all mortgaged up to the hill!!!!!!
what do you think to the lovely weather we are having? and the lovely pink sky tower!!!!
Jane

kwprwn Oct 2nd 2006 7:34 pm

yep can't wait then it's no going out at all mortgaged up to the hill!!!!!!
what do you think to the lovely weather we are having? and the lovely pink sky tower!!!!
Jane

Pink sky tower

you could still see the skytower, we can normally see it from the main road, but it was rather grey yesterday and clouded over

waynepfry Oct 2nd 2006 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Pink sky tower.

you could still see the skytower, we can normally see it from the main road, but it was rather grey yesterday and clouded over

We could just see it and it's pink i think for a month for breast cancer.
I was told it changes colour for all occasions
Jane

kwprwn Oct 2nd 2006 8:18 pm

We could just see it and it's pink i think for a month for breast cancer.
I was told it changes colour for all occasions
Jane

ah yes that would be right, we had a pink day at work last friday for it (a bit early but we did)

have seen it blue/red among other colors and also not even lit up at all as there was a major power cut back in june and it wiped out the CBD in auckland, and there was problems restoring full power so they made temporary cutbacks and turned it off

ooo that was a fun day..wind and rain, a bit like now really :D