British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OMG the flights are booked (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/omg-flights-booked-476804/)

jojobooster Aug 25th 2007 3:12 pm

OMG the flights are booked

Finally we have booked our flights to Auckland, via LAX for the baggage allowance.

It has really hit home today that this is it. The panic attacks and sleepless nights have begun.

Anyone got any advice onhow to survive the last three weeks in the UK apart from valium and gin?

Kids have one question, vital to their survival. Is Doctor Who shown in NZ? I have said no to Sky so they are hoping for terrestrial?

Cheers
Jo

simonmarkellis Aug 25th 2007 4:35 pm

Re: OMG the flights are booked

Originally Posted by jojobooster (Post 5234373)
Finally we have booked our flights to Auckland, via LAX for the baggage allowance.

It has really hit home today that this is it. The panic attacks and sleepless nights have begun.

Anyone got any advice onhow to survive the last three weeks in the UK apart from valium and gin?

Kids have one question, vital to their survival. Is Doctor Who shown in NZ? I have said no to Sky so they are hoping for terrestrial?

Cheers
Jo

Congratulations Jo!

I'm not sure there is an answer to the panic attacks and sleepless nights. We fly out next wednesday via LAX and the attacks just keep coming and going as something flashes through your mind. Have I order NZ dollars?, where are the passports?, Have i cancelled everything? I think the alcohol helps so keep taking it! I am if just to empty the drinks cupboard...

Simon

jojobooster Aug 25th 2007 4:39 pm

I am so glad I am not alone, though that probably sounds a little sadistic.

Eight months ago this seemed like a really good idea but now...

Beer beckons I think!

Thanks for your good wishes:thumbsup:

ned Aug 25th 2007 5:27 pm

The plan is to be a few months behind you, so you are the eyes and ears, good luck :thumbup:

annbee Aug 25th 2007 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jojobooster (Post 5234541)
I am so glad I am not alone, though that probably sounds a little sadistic.

Eight months ago this seemed like a really good idea but now...

Beer beckons I think!

Thanks for your good wishes:thumbsup:

Hi

We fly out in 7 weeks, flights booked, going via LA, staying over for 2 nights then NZ bound. Having bad panic attacks:curse:, not sure how i will last for 7 weeks:rofl:, not lucking forward to removals coming and packing, cant wait to be sat on the plane and knowing that i cant do anymore:)

garryhg Aug 25th 2007 8:13 pm

hi jacky g here

remember these feelings well folks....now been here 5 weeks, i was worse at airport wanted to go home,then i realised didn't have home to go to:thumbdown:

it gets easier:thumbsup:gone through the homesickness and surrvived just trying to get daughter to settle now ....

sorry to say we've got sky and can't say i've noticed doc who,but if it is on it will be about a year at least behind.....all the programmes were watching on sky ,we've seen so not really worth the money...the tv is crap here....
but the funny thing is you get used to it..

we actually don't sit and watch as much tv as we used to back home:thumbsup:good luck with all your plans,hope to catch up with some of you when you get out here:thumbsup:

jojobooster Aug 25th 2007 8:14 pm

Don't get me started on packing. Two weeks to go and I am still trying to get rid of stuff to ebay, freecycle, family, friends etc. It is a nightmare!

I totally feel we have underestimated the whole process. God knows how or when it will all come together. We complete the sale of our house on the 7th of sept so the mover will be here a couple of days before. Less than two weeks. Help:curse:

Tallia Aug 25th 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Jo

Put your kids minds at rest, the 3rd series of Doctor Who (2nd series with David Tennant) started last Sunday on Prime (with the Christmas special episode, 1st actual series episode tonight) which is a terrestial channel, so it is just a couple of months or so behind as that series had just finished in the UK a few days before we left back the beginning of July. :)

Hehe I am such a geek, my first post is about Doctor Who :rofl: :p

jojobooster Aug 25th 2007 8:42 pm

Geeks of the world unite!

So that is the one programme I will let them watch. Tee hee, they don't know that part yet!:cool:

kiwiflyer Aug 26th 2007 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by jojobooster (Post 5234373)

Cheers
Jo

I hope you move somewhere with good TV reception :thumbup: and also that you have a TV aerial that picks up Prime if you want to watch Dr Who ;)
Yes two differant aerials are required and some places limited reception of TV.

jojobooster Aug 26th 2007 8:58 pm

This is all too too confusing for me. 2 aerials?:confused:

kiwiflyer Aug 26th 2007 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by jojobooster (Post 5238066)
This is all too too confusing for me. 2 aerials?:confused:

Actuall I forgot if you have a sky dish then you have the option of buying Freeview box and picking up those channels and a few others with crystal clear reception.

happynz Aug 27th 2007 12:03 am

I live in an inner suburb of Christchurch and I can get Prime and we only have a set of rabbit ears, not an outside antenna even. Granted, it isn't crystal clear, but it isn't that bad either.

kiwiflyer Aug 27th 2007 2:20 am

Originally Posted by happynz (Post 5238572)
I live in an inner suburb of Christchurch and I can get Prime and we only have a set of rabbit ears, not an outside antenna even. Granted, it isn't crystal clear, but it isn't that bad either.

Sheesh I knew there was a Rabbit problem in Otago but did not know they were any good for TV reception :rofl:

Dandy Dan Aug 27th 2007 3:29 am

Yeah, what you do is get you rabbit, rub it really fast like you do to a ballon, the static builds up in the rabbit, stick the cable up its *#* and hay presto.:thumbsup:

You made need to repeat this process once or twice a week to keep the buggers charge up :thumbsup: