Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

Old Jan 18th 2008, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: OMG!! British girl murdered on WHV

Originally Posted by StokieDoug
I've done a bit of research on the Internet and the murder stats are:
NZ - 0.01111524 murders per 1,000 people
UK - 0.0140633 murders per 1,000 people (so about 25% higher than NZ)

Before everyone packs their bags and moves over to utopia, road fatality stats are:
NZ - 0.0107 fatalities per 1,000 people
UK - 0.0056 fatalities per 1,000 people (so about 50% lower than NZ)

So to conclude all this shit swings in roundabouts!!
The majority of murders in the UK are in Scotland , so the rate of murder in England is much less than in NZ !
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:38 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Ah wonderful.......we're back on crime and road death figures with all the stats again.............

This topic regularly seems to be one where all those who either can't decide to be here, don't want to be here, are thinking of going back to the UK or are just finding a reason to not like NZ chime in............

Its like many relish the chance to compare the minute difference between whether you could be murdered or killed here or there...........?

If you get killed or murdered will you be happier if it happens in NZ, the UK or somewhere else?

Where there are people there is nearly always crime and murders..........

Where people drive cars they often drive them badly and kill themselves and others.............

Its a fact that whether you choose the UK, OZ, NZ or anywhere the worst can happen........

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 18th 2008 at 2:46 am.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by niseysOH
This topic regularly seems to be one where all those who either can't decide to be here, don't want to be here, are thinking of going back to the UK or are just finding a reason to not like NZ chime in

Ahem I'm going nowhere! I love it here
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Not read all the replies and actually thinking about it, contradicted myself in the text of the above reply as we're not going anywhere either.....

Currently we're recruiting new residents to join us via my wifes work.......

Completely love the place so far despite it having virtually exactly the same social problems that nearly every other developed country has.

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 18th 2008 at 2:57 am.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
The majority of murders in the UK are in Scotland , so the rate of murder in England is much less than in NZ !
think you might like to check out your info about that one...118 murders in scotland 2006-2007.....

can't seem to find exact numbers for England,but just a hunch here,think it might be a tad more than scotland........jacky.....

not that i am accusing English of being a bad lot,just thinking about population size compared to scotland.....jacky
Old Jan 18th 2008, 5:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
think you might like to check out your info about that one...118 murders in scotland 2006-2007.....

can't seem to find exact numbers for England,but just a hunch here,think it might be a tad more than scotland........jacky.....

not that i am accusing English of being a bad lot,just thinking about population size compared to scotland.....jacky
England will have 'the majority' of murders in the UK however the murder rate in Scotland is very high, approx 3 times higher than England & Wales.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...578388,00.html

This would support the argument that the English murder rate is lower than NZ but Scotland much higher.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 6:02 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bcworld
England will have 'the majority' of murders in the UK however the murder rate in Scotland is very high, approx 3 times higher than England & Wales.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/crime/arti...578388,00.html

This would support the argument that the English murder rate is lower than NZ but Scotland much higher.
i realise what you are saying about per population,but thats not the way i read this post,i was just looking at the numbers....which would make you feel England has the greater amount of murders....

i know scotland (especially in the inner cities)has a real problem with drugs.......

as to the scottish girl that was murdered,tragic,and feel for her family....
but can't tell you how many foreign tourist you hear about back in the UK that have been murdered in the past few years...wouldn't walk the streets in any country alone in the wee small hours.... no matter how safe some people think NZ is,....jacky
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Its a fact that whether you choose the UK, OZ, NZ or anywhere the worst can happen........
I agree.

My sympathy and condolences to the family of the murdered girl . A terrible ,horrible & needless tragedy.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

This is the silliest post i have ever read on BritExpats. Not a single one of my NZ relatives even has a door lock on their houses ! South Africa it is NOT!
And don't even get me started about false "Domestic Abuse" allegations by women , i have had personal experience, as have thousands of NZ fathers

silly silly silly
Carrie is a very experienced nurse at ED in Wellington and I know she's witnessed much first hand.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

This is the silliest post i have ever read on BritExpats. Not a single one of my NZ relatives even has a door lock on their houses ! South Africa it is NOT!
And don't even get me started about false "Domestic Abuse" allegations by women , i have had personal experience, as have thousands of NZ fathers

silly silly silly
who ever said it was SA????
and not all domestic abuse cases in NZ are just allegations. You have to be careful discounting real cases like that in a sweeping statement. There are some terrible cases out there and I actually did some work with a womans home/safe house so I do know what I am talking about here, I know a lot of woman (and children) would not thank you for that comment. This isnt just in NZ, this happens in all countries but to make a comment making out that the claims are false is actually terrible. I have met a woman who was kicked so badly while 6 months pregnant by her husband (in front of her 3 year old) that she gave birth to her dead baby right there at then. She will never be able to have more children, she is mentally damaged as is her 3 year old. So would you like to 'get started' on her?
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lexylou
who ever said it was SA????
and not all domestic abuse cases in NZ are just allegations. You have to be careful discounting real cases like that in a sweeping statement. There are some terrible cases out there and I actually did some work with a womans home/safe house so I do know what I am talking about here, I know a lot of woman (and children) would not thank you for that comment. This isnt just in NZ, this happens in all countries but to make a comment making out that the claims are false is actually terrible. I have met a woman who was kicked so badly while 6 months pregnant by her husband (in front of her 3 year old) that she gave birth to her dead baby right there at then. She will never be able to have more children, she is mentally damaged as is her 3 year old. So would you like to 'get started' on her?
He's obviously very bitter about an awful experience, but therefore should know better than to tar everyone with the same brush.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Yep that's terrible for sure......... and there's always a headline, awful case to try and swing the view firmly to one side.

On the other hand i bet i could count literally in the 100's the number of times when i was a police officer that we got called by a wife or girlfriend to a domestic incident/assault where the male got arrested and then not very long after, the complaint would get dropped and male taken back with the response from wife/girlfriend 'well i love him don't I', 'he won't do it again' (this could often be on the 5th,6th,7th etc etc time.)

Domestic violence is not right at all and if it happens the perptrator, male or female, should be prosecuted to the best of the law but........ many women need to wake up to reality.

As said you can't tar everyone with the same brush and the poster above has a personal experience that i doubt many will have had.

I have seen an awful lot of unfair treatment for the male in the situation who is by many seen automatically at fault which is not always the case.

Knowing the percentage female make up of many 'domestic and family' units in the police force (in the UK) and hearing some of the views of the somewhat overly femine biased officers on those units, i've plenty of sympathy with 'brussels sprout' in hearing the way he seems to have been treated.

Last edited by teambwr47; Jan 18th 2008 at 9:23 am.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:32 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

can we make this a more balance argument if you wanna talk about domestic violence - that majority male victims suffer in silence because it is not considered manly enough to admit their girlfriend or wife is being violent towards them.
i reckon many more men suffer in silence than women.

Last edited by dreamfish; Jan 18th 2008 at 9:32 am. Reason: just read previous post - oops
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:52 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Yep that's terrible for sure......... and there's always a headline, awful case to try and swing the view firmly to one side.

On the other hand i bet i could count literally in the 100's the number of times when i was a police officer that we got called by a wife or girlfriend to a domestic incident/assault where the male got arrested and then not very long after, the complaint would get dropped and male taken back with the response from wife/girlfriend 'well i love him don't I', 'he won't do it again' (this could often be on the 5th,6th,7th etc etc time.)

Domestic violence is not right at all and if it happens the perptrator, male or female, should be prosecuted to the best of the law but........ many women need to wake up to reality.

As said you can't tar everyone with the same brush and the poster above has a personal experience that i doubt many will have had.

I have seen an awful lot of unfair treatment for the male in the situation who is by many seen automatically at fault which is not always the case.

Knowing the percentage female make up of many 'domestic and family' units in the police force (in the UK) and hearing some of the views of the somewhat overly femine biased officers on those units, i've plenty of sympathy with 'brussels sprout' in hearing the way he seems to have been treated.
I don't doubt that some women concoct stories but there are many, many more that are true. Only someone who hasn't been directly affected can say something like "many women need to wake up to reality." If my mother hadn't had the courage to stand up to gossips in a small village and tell me that I could come home I would very probably be dead now. When you've got children there are not a lot of places to go for sanctuary if you don't have a supportive family. I was almost killed but I didn't go around blaming ALL men. I happened to be married to a shit - that didn't mean that every man was the same and in fact I campaigned for single fathers to have the same level of social welfare payments as those enjoyed by single mothers.

Dumping crap on every member of the opposite sex gets nobody anywhere - it happened, move on.

Oh and on the subject of that young girl's murder - you can't get away from it. Anyone who thinks you can is living in cloud cuckoo land but we're a westernised nation and have to put up with all that that entails.
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Batty
I don't doubt that some women concoct stories but there are many, many more that are true. Only someone who hasn't been directly affected can say something like "many women need to wake up to reality." If my mother hadn't had the courage to stand up to gossips in a small village and tell me that I could come home I would very probably be dead now. When you've got children there are not a lot of places to go for sanctuary if you don't have a supportive family. I was almost killed but I didn't go around blaming ALL men. I happened to be married to a shit - that didn't mean that every man was the same and in fact I campaigned for single fathers to have the same level of social welfare payments as those enjoyed by single mothers.

Dumping crap on every member of the opposite sex gets nobody anywhere - it happened, move on.

Oh and on the subject of that young girl's murder - you can't get away from it. Anyone who thinks you can is living in cloud cuckoo land but we're a westernised nation and have to put up with all that that entails.
WELL SAID...jacky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.