OMG

Old Jan 8th 2011, 4:09 pm
Forum Regular

Gail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really niceGail5 is just really nice
Default OMG

This might get a bit long so please be patient!

We got PR just ages and ages ago and only have till July this year to get back to New Zealand or we have to start from the beginning again. We've had our house up for sale for 3 1/2 years and, as July is fast approaching and we haven't sold, we decided the week before Christmas that we would rent the house out. We got all the paint, brushes, new flooring, etc. to do it all up to rental standard - hubby could do the work whilst he was off during the holiday. The next day the estate agent called to arrange a viewing that night! What?! We've just spent a fortune on stuff!!! Of course I said 'yes' - we hadn't had a viewing since the beginning of August! The next day the estate agent called with an offer! Now, who looks for/buys a house the week before Christmas? That's right - NOBODY! But we knew someone!!! Couldn't believe it. And they want to be in by February! Yeah, right! We've waited this long, we ain't rushing! Anyway, we have today received a letter "confirming the sale of our property subject to contract". O M G!!!!! Don't know what to do!!!!! It feels so strange. We've been waiting for this for ever, didn't think it would ever happen and now it has, don't know what to feel. We're obviously pleased cos we really didn't think it would ever sell but it's odd. I think it's like we're in shock. Does that make sense? We've not told anyone in case it all goes **** up, we're so worried in case they pull out or change their minds so don't want to get too excited about it but now that we've got this letter . . . . . . I guess they could still pull out but until they can't, I won't be satisfied.

When we first applied for PR my hubby had a job offer (he's a bricklayer) but when we tried to call the guy, to let him know about the sale of the house and that we are on our way, we couldn't get in touch. His number is unobtainable so we think he could have gone out of business! Sod's law or what? We wait all this time for a sale and then when we get it we don't have a job to go to. Not a good idea to go without a job. So now we're job hunting again. I don't suppose there's anyone on here who knows of anyone who needs a bricklayer/site manager within the next 2-6 months?

It's so weird - I've been waiting soooooo long to be able to post that we've got a sale and now that I'm doing just that it doesn't feel like I expected it to feel. Is that normal? I think maybe it's because it's still not finalised with the house sale yet and that the job situation has changed - not a good place to be right now! But so many other issues not helping too (including leaving 2 of my kids and my elderly mum here).

Anyway, I should go. Thanks so much for listening - what would I do without this site?!

Gay x
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:17 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OMG

Originally Posted by Gail5
This might get a bit long so please be patient!

We got PR just ages and ages ago and only have till July this year to get back to New Zealand or we have to start from the beginning again. We've had our house up for sale for 3 1/2 years and, as July is fast approaching and we haven't sold, we decided the week before Christmas that we would rent the house out. We got all the paint, brushes, new flooring, etc. to do it all up to rental standard - hubby could do the work whilst he was off during the holiday. The next day the estate agent called to arrange a viewing that night! What?! We've just spent a fortune on stuff!!! Of course I said 'yes' - we hadn't had a viewing since the beginning of August! The next day the estate agent called with an offer! Now, who looks for/buys a house the week before Christmas? That's right - NOBODY! But we knew someone!!! Couldn't believe it. And they want to be in by February! Yeah, right! We've waited this long, we ain't rushing! Anyway, we have today received a letter "confirming the sale of our property subject to contract". O M G!!!!! Don't know what to do!!!!! It feels so strange. We've been waiting for this for ever, didn't think it would ever happen and now it has, don't know what to feel. We're obviously pleased cos we really didn't think it would ever sell but it's odd. I think it's like we're in shock. Does that make sense? We've not told anyone in case it all goes **** up, we're so worried in case they pull out or change their minds so don't want to get too excited about it but now that we've got this letter . . . . . . I guess they could still pull out but until they can't, I won't be satisfied.

When we first applied for PR my hubby had a job offer (he's a bricklayer) but when we tried to call the guy, to let him know about the sale of the house and that we are on our way, we couldn't get in touch. His number is unobtainable so we think he could have gone out of business! Sod's law or what? We wait all this time for a sale and then when we get it we don't have a job to go to. Not a good idea to go without a job. So now we're job hunting again. I don't suppose there's anyone on here who knows of anyone who needs a bricklayer/site manager within the next 2-6 months?

It's so weird - I've been waiting soooooo long to be able to post that we've got a sale and now that I'm doing just that it doesn't feel like I expected it to feel. Is that normal? I think maybe it's because it's still not finalised with the house sale yet and that the job situation has changed - not a good place to be right now! But so many other issues not helping too (including leaving 2 of my kids and my elderly mum here).

Anyway, I should go. Thanks so much for listening - what would I do without this site?!

Gay x
Well congrats on selling your house good news eh?!! one of the hurdles almost out of the way!!

Now comes the big decision.......do you still want to go?

One step at a time, and keep smiling good luck with your plans / decisions.
B x
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations Gail5, I'd snap their hand off hun, rent for a while or crash with family/friends
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

WOW 3.5 years, you must be over the moon and it is perfectly normal to worry about what happens next, trying to tie everything together is a nightmare, but it is the first vital step in the chain. We were in the same position after 18 months trying to sell and then out of the blue we suddenly had 2 offers on the house and no job to go to, but we got here in the end after hubby stayed in UK for 3 months to work out his notice and give us a financial cushion to fall back on and I came here with the kids.

On the job front, we got more positive results when he had a definitive date for being here and found out he got a job the morning he left Heathrow after an interview on skype It was in a completely different field of work though.

I must admit 'bricklayer' caused me to pause and wonder as buildings here aren't made of bricks due to earthquakes, but I know nothing about that industry and did a quick search on trademe and there is a job being advertised in Auckland under 'bricklayer' but is something to do with concrete? Anyway, here's the link in case you haven't seen it: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jo....htm?key=30519

Good luck on your decisions, it isn't easy....and you have to decide what you want personally, living in NZ is different to the UK and luckily we fall into the bracket of those who love it, but there are some who don't...same as living anywhere I suppose.

Happy job hunting and good luck, hope you finally get to carry out your dream after such a long wait, we think it was worth all the hassle and I hope you look back in the future that way too
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

theres plenty of work for brickies in ChCh at the mo, where do u wanna go ?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Come without jobs, its so much easier to get one when your here.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 10:55 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

I would definately recommend trying Christchurch and the surrounding districts.
3 of my neighbours (and I only have 4) - rural area - need to have all or some of their brick walls pulled down and re-built thanks to the earthquake.

EQC are saying that all repairs will be done in 2 years time - but it wouldn't surprise me if it took a lot longer - especially when aftershocks (like boxing day) are causing so much more new damage to areas.