Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Olympic's who are you cheering for?

Olympic's who are you cheering for?

Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:36 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Olympic's who are you cheering for?

NZ or UK

or both

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18924354
Old Jul 26th 2012, 9:45 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Olympic's who are you cheering for?

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
was cheering for Jenny and the girls this morning and that didn't work......so who knows.......
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
NZ or UK

or both
Whilst I am looking forward to it, I fear the worst if the last time is anything to go by. The biggest difficulty will be in getting to see anything much of the events that don't involve Kiwis.

The coverage of Bejing was dire in that respect. Cut away from some major events before they finished, so that we could see some Kiwi no hope in a first round heat.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:05 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Whilst I am looking forward to it, I fear the worst if the last time is anything to go by. The biggest difficulty will be in getting to see anything much of the events that don't involve Kiwis.

The coverage of Bejing was dire in that respect. Cut away from some major events before they finished, so that we could see some Kiwi no hope in a first round heat.
perhaps $ky might be better for you??
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
perhaps $ky might be better for you??
I know I am going to have to bite that bullet before too long. I did think about getting it just for the 'lympics.

Even so, the time difference will pour cold water on much viewing, I doubt if even I could be very motivated to get up to watch the opening ceremony at 7am on a Saturday. Hopefully I should have rallied myself by the time they get to the fireworks.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 11:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I know I am going to have to bite that bullet before too long. I did think about getting it just for the 'lympics.

Even so, the time difference will pour cold water on much viewing, I doubt if even I could be very motivated to get up to watch the opening ceremony at 7am on a Saturday. Hopefully I should have rallied myself by the time they get to the fireworks.
I'll miss it because I'll be at footie with the kids. Never really interested in opening/closing ceremonies. More interested in the sport.

We got the sat decoder for Beijing but the Nats and the loss of SBS from FTA sat. left us with very little worth watching......
Old Jul 26th 2012, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

LovelyLondonLady is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm definitely cheering for Britain. I am back on London at the moment and wandered down to see the olympic torch. I didn't expect to see so many kids with their faces painted or the thousands of people living the streets at 6am.

A couple of local magazines did a bit of coverage.

ow.ly/cvPjo
Old Jul 26th 2012, 5:58 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Thousands of people living the street in London is nothing new.
The bit I like is the London olympics starting in Wales and having it's first scandal in Scotland. Wouldn't Bruges be closer to London than Hampden park?
Not really got much interest in it. Seems a bit farcical to have the Wimbledon players in the Olympics.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Location: London temporarily, Auckland...bah, who knows, maybe never
Bev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really niceBev MK is just really nice

I'll be cheering for the poor taxpayer who'll be left out of pocket by it all.
Lots of the small businesses around us are having to close for the next 2-3 days because of the cycle road races which are closing many streets around here - their staff and customers just can't get to them. Many of them are owner-managed businesses that are already having a tough time from the recession and the bad summer weather.

When the endless message from Boris and Transport for London can basically be summed up as "Londoners, please just hand over your taxes and then b*gger off out of London for the duration so we can accommodate the visitors" it makes me feel very bah humbug about the whole thing.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 2:08 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We didn't have Sky for the last Olympics and the coverage was absolutely dire. Very frustrating really. One might be following a sport which was being reasonably covered but the minute said Kiwi competitor was out of the picture - shazzam - no further coverage or reporting. It was all a bit one eyed & very hit and miss.

This time round we have Sky which has made Mr BEVs a very happy man, him being to all things sport.

We're British so we will be cheering for Britain.

Last edited by BEVS; Jul 27th 2012 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS

We're British so we will be cheering for Britain.
Ditto for us, GB all the way, wouldn't expect a Kiwi living in Britain to cheer for anyone else but NZ!!
We just had a free upgrade to Sky HD, so 8 dedicated channels to flick through!!
I remember sitting down to watch a rowing final at the last games (which GB won) but they cut it off to show first round of Womens BMX because there was a Kiwi taking part!!!
At least we will be able to see some medal ceremonies involving other countries this time, TVNZ always used to cut to an ad break if a Kiwi wasn't involved, so we didn't see many
Old Jul 27th 2012, 4:55 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course, if you follow my posts you'd know who I'll be cheering for the most. I love the Olympics. Can't wait, although I have some jitters about NZ's prospects. Even Valerie Adams main competitor seems to have been going gangbusters lately, so even she isn't assured of a gold. May have to count on the rowers to carry home some bacon. The TAB has NZ at 25 to 1 to win no gold medals.
Looks like one of my heros, Paul McCartney, is going to be performing at the opening.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 6:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Ditto for us, GB all the way, wouldn't expect a Kiwi living in Britain to cheer for anyone else but NZ!!
Well put & exactamonte Mickey My family and I never expected the assorted 'continentals' among us to support anything other than their home country/city/town with their blummin' great flags, and they surely did. Made for a lot of fun I remember.

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
[Of course, if you follow my posts you'd know who I'll be cheering for the most.
I love the Olympics. Can't wait, although I have some jitters about NZ's prospects. Even Valerie Adams main competitor seems to have been going gangbusters lately, so even she isn't assured of a gold. May have to count on the rowers to carry home some bacon. The TAB has NZ at 25 to 1 to win no gold medals.
That's a bit pessamistic. If there ain't no UK'er , I'll cheer one of your lot on WG coz you are one of us lot on here & I have some very good Kiwi pals hereabouts who I would love to see all elated . ( Not at all sure they'd cheer my lot in return though )

Looks like one of my heros, Paul McCartney, is going to be performing at the opening.
Crike !

Now you're pushing it.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 7:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
If his excrutiating effort at the Queen's Jubilee concert is anything to go by, you might consider leaving the room, gathering up any nearby dogs and taking them for a long walk, far away from the TV.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you expect NZ TV to cover British athletes - it may be different this time as the games are in London. I saw hardly any kiwi athletes on British TV coverage in Beijing - other than if there happened to be a Brit in the final also.

I will be mainly cheering for kiwi athletes, but will be definitely cheering for Mo Farrah, Jess Ennis, Rebecca Addlingtin, Victoria Pendalton et al.

Will be watching opening ceremony tonight, can't wait! Will have my kiwi chips and dip and maybe some English sparkling wine.

If we manage to get to any free (atmosphere) events will be sure to post a piccy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.