Olives??

Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:19 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Olives??

I know, I know, what bloody use is a thread about olives to anyone trying to get to NZ when stuck in the floodplains of the UK? But I need to know what on earth do I do with the little beauties?

I'm wondering if anyone knows when do you know if they're ready to be picked and what do you do to them to make the garlicky, scrummy, finger licking good?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future
Default Re: Olives??

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I know, I know, what bloody use is a thread about olives to anyone trying to get to NZ when stuck in the floodplains of the UK? But I need to know what on earth do I do with the little beauties?

I'm wondering if anyone knows when do you know if they're ready to be picked and what do you do to them to make the garlicky, scrummy, finger licking good?
I have 250 olive trees (sad but true) - depending on variety, quantity etc etc. I'll tell you all about them oneday - boy would that make for an interesting conversation.

PS - Would normally pick mid to late May and certainly before any frost so may be too late for this year.

Cheers
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:02 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Put them in a jar, top with water, salt, a few cloves of garlic and olive oil. Keep in the fridge, in sealed buckets if you have that many.

They will acquire the taste of the garlic and olive oil
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi am loolah

i am not sure when they will be ready for picking, but you could store them by putting them in olive oil or brine and they will keep for months. as for using fresh ones they are really nice in salads, and casseroles etc,

sorry i dont think that is much help, but i only get them in jars, i have never had fresh ones off the tree.

with regards

kirstie
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Herm
I have 250 olive trees (sad but true) - depending on variety, quantity etc etc. I'll tell you all about them oneday - boy would that make for an interesting conversation.

PS - Would normally pick mid to late May and certainly before any frost so may be too late for this year.

Cheers
We can inspect my olives by moonlight Friday!

I didn't know you put them in water? I was thinking marinate in jar with olive oil, lemon zest, garlic & salt? I only have about 10 trees in the street to steal from!!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:18 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't know you put them in water? I was thinking marinate in jar with olive oil, lemon zest, garlic & salt? I only have about 10 trees in the street to steal from!!

Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
From your avatar you and Kev can join me for a wine tasting whilst olive crushing fest to then sell the oil on trade me?!
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:30 am
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Taste one off the tree - they are VERY bitter so need to be soaked in brine, washed, soaked in brine, washed, soaked in brine etc etc .........get the picture
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Chuck the disgusting things in the bin.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:37 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

From your avatar you and Kev can join me for a wine tasting whilst olive crushing fest to then sell the oil on trade me?!

I like your thinking missus!! Can you make wine from them
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Squash them and bottle the oil, buy a diesel car and fuel it with that. If cars can run on chip/vegetable oil, why not olive oil.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Squash them and bottle the oil, buy a diesel car and fuel it with that. If cars can run on chip/vegetable oil, why not olive oil.
'Olive Oil' wasn't she in Popeye?
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:47 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Seems a bit redundant to buy olive oil to soak them in. I would have thought you could press your own somehow.
Old Jun 27th 2007, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

No, wasn't she the plain bespectacled wife of Reg Varney in "On the Buses" ?

Olive's what, btw ?

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Jun 27th 2007 at 10:58 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2007, 12:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I think what you do depends on the variety of olive. Some are for crushing and some are table olives. I'm thinking of planting a couple .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.