Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Older Teenager with mild/moderate learning difficulties: Help for her to intergrate?

Older Teenager with mild/moderate learning difficulties: Help for her to intergrate?

Old Aug 29th 2010, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Aliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to all
Default Older Teenager with mild/moderate learning difficulties: Help for her to intergrate?

Hello

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any body wih children with learning diffs who have moved to Auckland regions? My eldest daughter is 17 and will not be entering the schooling system once we get to NZ, but will need some activities/ voluntary projects to attend to allow her to create a social network of her own! If it doesn't happen for her she wont be happy and will want to come home!?!?! eek!

Hopefully we will be in the Hibiscus coast area, around stanmore bay, any recomendations would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks
Ali
Old Aug 30th 2010, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Older Teenager with mild/moderate learning difficulties: Help for her to intergra

I cant speak for the auckland area but the kind of centres or resources you
are used to in the uk are VERY thin on the ground here and those that are available
are not even close to anything that you would recognise in the uk.
sorry for being pessimistic but care for the disabled of any sort is pretty low.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Older Teenager with mild/moderate learning difficulties: Help for her to intergra

Originally Posted by Aliwales
Hello

I was just wondering if anyone knows of any body wih children with learning diffs who have moved to Auckland regions? My eldest daughter is 17 and will not be entering the schooling system once we get to NZ, but will need some activities/ voluntary projects to attend to allow her to create a social network of her own! If it doesn't happen for her she wont be happy and will want to come home!?!?! eek!

Hopefully we will be in the Hibiscus coast area, around stanmore bay, any recomendations would be HUGELY appreciated!

Thanks
Ali
I would contact your local city council wherever that may be currently in the Auckland area. Shortly there will be one 'super council body' for that area so maybe come to think of it they are your best starting point. There are loads and loads of charitable groups in Palmerston North offering all kinds of services for people with a range of issues and problems. I am thus sure you will find some help in the 'super city'!!!!

Also have a look at Methodist Social Secvices in the Auckland area and Child Youth and Family services too. They will also be able to possibly either help you or put you in the right direction. Good luck.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

Aliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to allAliwales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
I would contact your local city council wherever that may be currently in the Auckland area. Shortly there will be one 'super council body' for that area so maybe come to think of it they are your best starting point. There are loads and loads of charitable groups in Palmerston North offering all kinds of services for people with a range of issues and problems. I am thus sure you will find some help in the 'super city'!!!!

Also have a look at Methodist Social Secvices in the Auckland area and Child Youth and Family services too. They will also be able to possibly either help you or put you in the right direction. Good luck.

That's fab thanks, managed to collect a number of websites etc such as parent to parent, but i reckon forarmed is forwarned etc and id rather have too much info than not enough lol! thanks
Old Aug 31st 2010, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Obviously don't know what your daughter's difficulties are, but there might be somewhere on this site that can advise you where to look

http://www.indexnz.com/Region/Auckland/Special-Needs
Old Sep 1st 2010, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Dorrick! I will take a look asap
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Hello

Thanks
Ali
Get in touch with your local Disabled Riders Therapy Centre, they've got a national website and they have centres all over the country.

She could help there as a volunteer and maybe as a rider - I don't know the rules.

It's a fantastic organisation and a great way to meet people of all ages and backgrounds. There's plenty to do that doesn't involve handling the horse, admin etc and certainly worth a look.

Good luck.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

squarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to allsquarepants is a name known to all

Hello

Thanks
Ali
Get in touch with your local Disabled Riders Therapy Centre, they've got a national website and they have centres all over the country.

She could help there as a volunteer and maybe as a rider - I don't know the rules.

It's a fantastic organisation and a great way to meet people of all ages and backgrounds. There's plenty to do that doesn't involve handling the horses if she doesn't want to such as: admin, feeds, tack etc It's certainly worth a look.

Good luck.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

That is fab advice squarepants, thanks!!! She loves horses, usually from afar admittedly but that is a great access point!! Really apprecited thanks again!!!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

That is fab advice squarepants, thanks!!! She loves horses, usually from afar admittedly but that is a great access point!! Really apprecited thanks again!!!
You're welcome, they're not equine snobs here either which is fantastic.

They'll have the hats to borrow and so long as you make sure she's got some long trousers so that the stirrups don't rub - and she's in shoes/wellies or boots that have a bit of a heel - she'll fit in perfectly. They'll tell you what you need anyway, she'll come back filthy dirty, tired and happy.

Their horses will have been chosen for their temperaments and they train all the volunteers - so it's a good confidence boost for anyone.

I've some links into sites for beginners with good information if further down the line she wanted a little more info on horse types/colours/tack etc. I've found the books here can be expensive, and my youngest is learning at the moment.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

PS: just read that you're not over yet. If you have the room in your container and you see any cheap BHS (british horse society) books in charity shops - then they'll be worth a punt - especially the pony club ones with the pictures showing how to tie up a horse etc. I think we paid 75p for ours, and it's all very similar to the way they do things here. It's not worth going mad and spending a fortune because it may not be her thing, but if it was just a couple of pounds and didn't take up too much space - it wouldn't hurt to bring it.

Last edited by squarepants; Sep 8th 2010 at 11:03 pm. Reason: having a blond moment
Old Sep 10th 2010, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Brill thanks squarepants i will have a scout around!!! thanks again