Reload this Page >

The old Welly vs Auckland debate... advice needed

The old Welly vs Auckland debate... advice needed

Old Apr 21st 2012, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

robertowinkler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The old Welly vs Auckland debate... advice needed

Hello... I've just joined this forum, so a big hi to the community

I'm looking to head to NZ this September and can't decide whether or not to appy for joberooos in Wellington or Auckland. I've read the weather argument and am quite impartial really but want to know a little more about the types of people who live there and also the sizes of the financial districts. I've had a peep on the respective office city websites but they are little bias

I'm ACA qualified (accountant) and currently work in auditing banks. I'm planning on staying within the realm of finance but would prefer to find a job in investment banking. I appreciate the sector is far smaller in NZ but that's actually one of the reasons for the move!

Any advice here is much appreciated and if there is anything I can do in exchange (no limits) then please say so.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 7:46 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The old Welly vs Auckland debate... advice needed

Many financial companies have HQ in Wellington city because that's where the NZX and gubbermint are located.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Being anywhere near to the Gubbermint is seen as a downside though in this country.

The place I used to work were looking to relocate their HQ and Wellington was suggested. However, it was vetoed and some very stong opinions were made against. The showstopper was mostly on the grounds that recruitment of good staff would have been an issue, as from here in Auckland the Wellington workforce are considered to have a very bureuacratic mindset.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 10:08 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed on the issues with Wellington (except bureaucracy, most companies have forms and procedures to deal with bureaucracy now ) regarding staff, high costs, poor accessibility etc.

I've long been an advocate of decentralisation away from the big cities (especially gubbermint from Wellington).
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

Teresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really nice

Hi

I spent three years in auckland and two in welly, have enjoyed both places but they are very different. Auckland has the better weather (although sitting here the sun is shining in Kapiti) and is more beachy. Welly is more cosmopolitan and has some great pubs and restaurants. Welly is very much a public sector town and has a different mentality than auckland, everyone seems to know everyone else which has advantages and disadvantages. On the whole i prefer welly but may change my mind when the weather changes for the worse.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Teresa Green View Post
Hi

I spent three years in auckland and two in welly, have enjoyed both places but they are very different. Auckland has the better weather (although sitting here the sun is shining in Kapiti) and is more beachy. Welly is more cosmopolitan and has some great pubs and restaurants. Welly is very much a public sector town and has a different mentality than auckland, everyone seems to know everyone else which has advantages and disadvantages. On the whole i prefer welly but may change my mind when the weather changes for the worse.
I love Welly but in your shoes would maybe choose Auckland as it seems less likely to be hit by an earthquake. Auckland is probably the only other place I could live in NZ. I don't do rural.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

robertowinkler is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers all, so I guess if everyone who works in Welly works in the public sector then with the austerity cuts it may quickly look like Gotham City!!..

I had heard Welly is a little more youthful and nice to hear its cosmopolitan..

Could anyone fill me in with a little local knowledge of where I should aim to live in Welly?? wanting to be close to the centre for work but if the public transport system is good (or there's lots of parking?) then that would be grand!