Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OK - Yet more job questions

OK - Yet more job questions

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Yogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant future
Default OK - Yet more job questions

Hi to one and all,

I am a little confused

I am currently appling for IT posistion through recruitment agencies and direct to companies. My questions are:

How do I get a visa without a job offer?
How do I get a job offer without a visa?

I am constantly told that my CV will not be considered without a visa. I realise that my chances of being offered a job whilst in the UK are quite slim and if my CV will not be considered it is pointless travelling thousands of miles to try and find a job if I have no visa.

I can only get away from work for 2 weeks at a time on holiday, it is hard being a contractor at times, this was one of the clauses what was put in my contract.

Is it a case of picking a 2 week period, adding the dates to my covering letter and hope for the best.
Can anyone shine some light on this very confusing matter.

Yogi
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OK - Yet more job questions

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
Hi to one and all,

I am a little confused

I am currently appling for IT posistion through recruitment agencies and direct to companies. My questions are:

How do I get a visa without a job offer?
How do I get a job offer without a visa?

I am constantly told that my CV will not be considered without a visa. I realise that my chances of being offered a job whilst in the UK are quite slim and if my CV will not be considered it is pointless travelling thousands of miles to try and find a job if I have no visa.

I can only get away from work for 2 weeks at a time on holiday, it is hard being a contractor at times, this was one of the clauses what was put in my contract.

Is it a case of picking a 2 week period, adding the dates to my covering letter and hope for the best.
Can anyone shine some light on this very confusing matter.

Yogi
Why will your CV not be accepted without a visa? While not working in IT industry, I had my job offer before I'd applied for my WTR visa, seems strange to me??

Is it the companies advising you of this or the recuritment folks???

Are you looking to come over on Work to Residency or just a working visa? Are the firms accredited with the WTR scheme, if so they should know you need a job offer before you can apply for it...
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Yogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant futureYogi Bear has a brilliant future

Hi irnbru14,

It is the recruitment agencies, they are all saying it. With regards to a visa, I would like a WTR. If that is not possible, the the WP

Last edited by Yogi Bear; Apr 22nd 2008 at 9:10 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yogi Bear
Hi irnbru14,

It is the recruitment agencies, they are all saying it.
Are you applying for work to residency?

There are quite a few ex-pats on here in the IT industry, perhaps they can advise you a bit better than I can
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your input, lets hope the IT world can solve it.
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

Hiya

I sent hubbys CV off for a job in Wellington, then told him what I'd done when they said they wanted to do a telephone interview!!
Once he'd got over the initial shock he was quite happy and did the interview one evening. All went swimmingly smooth and got offered the job a few days later
It was only after that, that we sent off our EOI.

So ignore what the agencies are saying, your CV will count. If you go to www.seek.co.nz they have loads\of IT jobs on there, sometimes even offering help with immigration and getting you over here.

So go for it and good luck

Cheers

Catkin
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Catkin09,

Many thanks for that, it brings a smile to my face.

Yogi
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in IT and I got a job offer (applied for a job I saw on jobserve) in the UK before heading over and applying for a work permit. Had a phone and video interview in the UK, the latter via Skype.
Once here the work permit wasn't that quick, about 3 weeks, ended up with the recruitment agency putting pressure on immigration.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:32 am
Tracey and Chris

traceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to alltraceyandchris is a name known to all

Hi - My Oh applied for a position online - had a phone interview - and as we were booked to go out to NZ on holiday a month or so later - agreed to go and see them in person. It was handy that we were going out there anyway as the company he applied to said that they would really want him to go out there and make sure that it was definately right for him before starting the whole application process.
If you were thinking of going over there for a holiday anyway then it would be worth putting that on your c.v but many employers are satisfied with phone and video interviews!
Good luck and happy job hunting!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:26 pm
HBN
Just Joined

HBN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Why will your CV not be accepted without a visa? While not working in IT industry, I had my job offer before I'd applied for my WTR visa, seems strange to me??

Is it the companies advising you of this or the recuritment folks???

Are you looking to come over on Work to Residency or just a working visa? Are the firms accredited with the WTR scheme, if so they should know you need a job offer before you can apply for it...
2 days ago I received the same reply: "Thank you for your email and interest in working with Tourism Recruit.

We would be keen to hear from you when you have arrived in New Zealand, and have the legal entitlement to work here."

Well, when I am there I probably could do without a recruitment company. Her reply does not bother me much, I keep looking on Seek.