Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ok what would you do now? Votes pls!

Ok what would you do now? Votes pls!

Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Default Ok what would you do now? Votes pls!

So here's the latest situation. I have my visa in hand, and so does our daughter. My wife's has been referred to a medical assessor, on the 15th June. Generally these take 3 weeks to come back, so only a couple to go. Now, of the risk is she may get declined, slim, but possible! She has a high cholesterol, not 5,6 or 7 but 11! It's a hereditary thing, not a problem coz she's a big bird (I believe the PC term is obese), or got diabetes or anything like that! BUT it is high non-the-less!

I really wanna hand my notice in and get things moving... But of course the risk is obvious, in that if she gets declined.. No NZ, and no job in the UK= bad situation!!

So what would you do?? Take the risk... Or sit it out a couple more weeks??

Thanks in advance!!

Phil
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:40 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok what would you do now? Votes pls!

my opinion is its a no brainer, wait.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

for the sake of a couple of weeks and your inpatience - wait - you got a lot riding on it and you won't want to be in the position that you don't have a job if its worst case scenario!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Philzbub
So here's the latest situation. I have my visa in hand, and so does our daughter. My wife's has been referred to a medical assessor, on the 15th June. Generally these take 3 weeks to come back, so only a couple to go. Now, of the risk is she may get declined, slim, but possible! She has a high cholesterol, not 5,6 or 7 but 11! It's a hereditary thing, not a problem coz she's a big bird (I believe the PC term is obese), or got diabetes or anything like that! BUT it is high non-the-less!

I really wanna hand my notice in and get things moving... But of course the risk is obvious, in that if she gets declined.. No NZ, and no job in the UK= bad situation!!

Thanks in advance!!

Phil
We had a similar thing. In total our 2 year works visas took 5 MONTHS () to come through - the longest 5 months of our lives. I'm a T1 diabetic. My first medical person said that as I'd just had a baby there was a good reason that my levels were a bit higher than they'd like. I was then asked to provide a letter from my hospital endocrinologist (nothing about a baby!) - like getting blood out of a stone! In the end, after a lot of frustrating emails and telephone calls, I collected and it was hand delivered. The bloke that was dealing with our visas was on holiday and it sat waiting on his desk for his return...turns out that when it comes to medicals they don't take minor things like having a baby into consideration and they are VERY strict.

I was desperate for my husband to quit his job as he had a 3 month notice period - he hated it and worked long hours - but in hindsight I'm so pleased that he waited. There is a massive risk when it comes to medicals - a lot of people are declined - I needed to keep reminding myself of that.

It all came good in the end though and we've been here since January - when/if you get them it goes so quickly and you'll be here before you know it.

Frustratingly I'll have to go through it all over again when our visas run out but I'll know their targets this time giving me a headstart.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:39 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Phil wait! The summer will be nearer...even better biking!
Old Jun 21st 2012, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all

Through personal experience, through no fault or blame, imagine the guilt that your wife will feel if you quit your job, her visa is declined and you're jobless at the end of it....I felt guilty for even having been referred for a further medical...WAIT MAN, WAIT!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:35 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

WAIT !
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

you'd be a fool to do anything but wait....simple
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I got referred on my Cholesterol when it was 5.6 on my medical and I was obese. I got the cholesterol down to 4.6 and weight down. They gave me a 3 month time frame to get it sorted, but I was able to have it checked up at my GP's rather than going back to the nuffield. Cut out the booze, went onto flora drinks and hit the gym. I'd say wait.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, Wait, Wait

Neil
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

Ninja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really niceNinja757 is just really nice

Easy peezy lemon squeezy.......WAIT!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Just flippin' wait, will ya.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Trish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really niceTrish M is just really nice

I'm going with the general consensus - WAIT!
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:38 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Philzbub

Thanks in advance!!

Phil
Other's have already said to wait so I won't repeat that. But see this as valuable time to improve your wife's health, that's an awfully high cholesterol level . She can get started on a course of treatment and lifestyle modifications to bring it down to safer levels. Familial hypercholesterolemia is needs to be controlled properly, especially if she's obese.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 6:57 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Other's have already said to wait so I won't repeat that. But see this as valuable time to improve your wife's health, that's an awfully high cholesterol level . She can get started on a course of treatment and lifestyle modifications to bring it down to safer levels. Familial hypercholesterolemia is needs to be controlled properly, especially if she's obese.
You mean SHE should improve her health it's up to her to improve it?

And wait!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.