Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ok - read with caution, talks about breastfeeding fo all things!!

Ok - read with caution, talks about breastfeeding fo all things!!

Old May 31st 2007, 12:25 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Ok - read with caution, talks about breastfeeding fo all things!!

Ok, this might be a little *out there* for some, but when has that stopped me in my short time here?

A couple of things struck me when adding to the *great NZ* threads, things that I couldnt just add without them sounding like a punchline. So here goes!

I am a midwife and have worked for many years in the UK and now here, so I know how both systems work and what I might expect from an employer etc. When I had my baby here, just under a year ago I found that I needed to go back to work after 3 months because we couldnt afford for me to stay off any longer. This concerned me as I breastfeed my children, which is usually always a living nightmare for the first 6 weeks, so work interfering with this was a concern.

BUT it shouldnt have been, because my employer, and my colleagues, allowed my husband to bring my baby to work for me to take to a quiet room and feed - as many times as was required by the baby in an 8 hour shift. Not only that, when I was doing a night shift, I was allowed to go home and feed her and come back to work - as and when my husband rang to say she was awake. And there was no percieved time limit on that, I could be doing that for an 18 month old or older and it would have been fine.

In the UK, and many other countries, it is a Health and Safety issue, and Insurance issue, a paid time issue, a staffing issue - its an issue. But here it was my baby's right. I dont know that a larger unit in NZ would have accommodated me, but everyone who has had a baby here has done this and I think that is one of the most child centered things that an employer could ever do.

I also went to a Cultural awareness Study course lasting 2 days. My husband took the 2 days off and when lunchtime came around, he packed a picnic, got the 2 older children in our van with the baby and we parked up in the car park so I could feed her and have lunch. One of the Maori Elders noticed this the first day and when I got back in for the afternoon session all the group leaders and elders insisted that I not cram into a van and feed in the carpark, but I feed her in the Marae - even though no-one else is supposed to eat there, because it is Tapu (sacred) and food debases this. Babies are however allowed to be breastfed in the common areas and *I* was invited to do so.

And when my father died a month or so ago, my husband got a week off from his work to look after me, and I got flowers from all his colleagues.

People here care and sometimes, not being used to that, it is hard to adjust to and hard to accept, much like a compliment. It is very genuinely meant though and a real gift.

I know I have complained about not getting enough annual leave, poor maternity benefits etc............but thats the big corporate end of things. The actual people in the department are a different kettle of fish - its a mini community and very family friendly.

Last edited by Poppy2; May 31st 2007 at 12:29 pm. Reason: apologies, stupid fingers doing their own thing!!!
Old May 31st 2007, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok - read with caution, talks about breastfeeding fo all things!!

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Ok, this might be a little *out there* for some, but when has that stopped me in my short time here?

A couple of things struck me when adding to the *great NZ* threads, things that I couldnt just add without them sounding like a punchline. So here goes!

I am a midwife and have worked for many years in the UK and now here, so I know how both systems work and what I might expect from an employer etc. When I had my baby here, just under a year ago I found that I needed to go back to work after 3 months because we couldnt afford for me to stay off any longer. This concerned me as I breastfeed my children, which is usually always a living nightmare for the first 6 weeks, so work interfering with this was a concern.

BUT it shouldnt have been, because my employer, and my colleagues, allowed my husband to bring my baby to work for me to take to a quite room and feed - as many times as was required by the baby in an 8 hour shift. Not only that, when I was doing a night shift, I was allowed to go home and feed her and come back to work - as and when my husband rang to say she was awake. And there was no percieved time limit on that, I could be doing that for an 18 month old or older and it would have been fine.

In the UK, and many other countries, it is a Health and Safety issue, and Insurance issue, a paid time issue, a staffing issue - its an issue. But here it was my baby's right. I dont know that a larger unit in NZ would have accommodated me, but everyone who has had a baby here has done this and I think that is one of the most child centered things that an employer could ever do.

I also went to a Cultural awareness Study course lasting 2 days. My husband took the 2 days off and when lunchtime came around, he packed a picnic, got the 2 older children in our van with the baby and we parked up in the car park so I could feed her and have lunch. One of the Maori Elders noticed this the first day and when I got back in for the afternoon session all the group leaders and elders insisted that I not cram into a van and feed in the carpark, but I feed her in the Marae - even though no-one else is supposed to eat there, because it is Tapu (sacred) and food debases this. Babies are however allowed to be breastfed in the common areas and *I* was invited to do so.

And when my father died a month or so ago, my husband got a week off from his work to look after me, and I got flowers from all his colleagues.

People here care and sometimes, not being used to that, it is hard to adjust to and hard to accept, much like a compliment. It is very genuinely meant though and a real gift.

I know I have complained about not getting enough annual leave, poor maternity benefits etc............but thats the big corporate end of things. The actual people in the department are a different kettle of fish - its a mini community and very family friendly.

Never have I seen flexibility so well sold as here.Beautiful!! That support you received is lovely,love.
Old May 31st 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

Nisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant futureNisey has a brilliant future

I guess that would take some getting used to after the way we are treated here. I'm not sure if we put the pressure on ourselves sometimes because of the work culture we live in in the UK.

I'm resigning today, ready to leave for our new life starting mid July, so lets see what the reaction is. Worst case scenario they take my laptop off me and show me the door.
Old May 31st 2007, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Poppy

That was a really inspirational 'read'. I wonder what the NHS would think if they thought that kind of thing was going on?! I know they harp on about breastfeeding initiatives etc but its absolutely zero when compared to what support you have received.

It gives me real hope of being able to do the type of midwifery care i want to give, even though not coming to NZ (we're going to WA) I hope they're a bit better than the NHS (it wouldn't take much at the minute )

Thumbs up for you hubby too, he sounds really supportive

Julie x
Old May 31st 2007, 6:15 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that! Yes the husband is very supportive of breastfeeding - he has to be, he has to listen to the tears and watch me hunch my shoulders and bite my lip from pain for the first 6 weeks. In my experience breastfeeding has never been easy, but I do it because longterm I enjoy it. If he could, he would do it too!! I say he isnt trying hard enough, but there you go!
Old May 31st 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

It bloody killed me too. Still can't get near them now.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:11 am
NS covern member #1

Ah, its a shame
Old Jun 1st 2007, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing to do with breast feeding.... in fact quite the opposite. I had a baby here 4 months ago and chose to bottle feed from the start. My ramblings-on were listened to by my midwife and I had her total support in whatever I chose to do. I had nothing but excellent support from everyone involved at Middlemore Hospital and also Botany Mat Unit. I had all the help and advice I ever needed.

I wasnt treated like that in UK... I had a truly horrible experience. I'm glad I changed my mind and had another baby here.... its been a great experience this time.

Nothing but praise for everyone involved!!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:05 am
NS covern member #1

Well as a midwife I support any woman in whichever way she chooses to feed her baby, I hope my mentioning breastfeeding didnt bring all that stuff back up for you. I know how midwives can be seen to be very one tracked in their opinions, I like to think I am not. I bottle fed my first son and he did great in my opinion!!!

Yes, women get more of our time here, and that is a great difference working here.

Lovely baby SarahB!!!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Well as a midwife I support any woman in whichever way she chooses to feed her baby, I hope my mentioning breastfeeding didnt bring all that stuff back up for you. I know how midwives can be seen to be very one tracked in their opinions, I like to think I am not. I bottle fed my first son and he did great in my opinion!!!

Yes, women get more of our time here, and that is a great difference working here.

Lovely baby SarahB!!!
Hiya.... its fine, my midwife supported me totally. I expected, and was warned actually, that I would come across negative attitudes but I didnt at all.

Off to the park now with my littluns....seeya later.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

BUT it shouldnt have been, because my employer, and my colleagues, allowed my husband to bring my baby to work for me to take to a quiet room and feed - as many times as was required by the baby in an 8 hour shift. Not only that, when I was doing a night shift, I was allowed to go home and feed her and come back to work - as and when my husband rang to say she was awake. And there was no percieved time limit on that, I could be doing that for an 18 month old or older and it would have been fine.

this has nothing to do with breast feeding , but when my grandad died at the end of Nov, i returned to UK for the funeral , i was away for about 10 day , this resulted in hubby having to take 5 days off work, so taht he could take care of our kids. After a chat with his boss they decided that he would take 1 days holiday, 2 sick days & 2 parental days. he was told that there was a course that they would like him to attend whilst i was away, even if it was only for a couple hours , but there was no pressure. (he managed to attend , after dropping kids off at friends, to get to the course for about 10 ish & left to pick them up at about 2.) Hubby had only been with his employers since july, but they were great at being flexable.

poppy2 deepest sympathies on the loss of your dad. & what a supportive husband you have
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:39 am
NS covern member #1

Poppets - thank you so much, sorry for your loss also. Its a whole new world without that person in the background, always there.........and now not.

And that is entirely it, flexibility and a human approach - its refreshing isnt it!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

Poppets - thank you so much, sorry for your loss also. Its a whole new world without that person in the background, always there.........and now not.

And that is entirely it, flexibility and a human approach - its refreshing isnt it!
It certainly is. one year in the uk , my husbands employers organised a jolly weekend away for their clients , at a luxury hotel, doing nowt but golfing for guys, & pampering for the wives. Hubby had to go to sort the AV side of things - unfortunately for me I was left at home with a 2yr old & a 8mth old.............and it was mothers day weekend
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:18 am
NS covern member #1

That sounds about right! Maybe it is the smaller number of people in the departments we work in here, or just an understanding that family has to come first - regardless, it is something many countries should think more about!
Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:43 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

That's lovely to hear your positive work environment...i trained in a large maternity unit and one of the midwives there was still feeding when she returned to work and although her baby wasn't allowed into the unit she was allowed to express when needed (we did 12 hour shifts) however i don't think she got the same level of support as she had to really hurry up, as she still had to do all her work when she returned to the ward...no-one helped her in anyway!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.