British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   OK,no swearing,but what's up with Palmy? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ok-no-swearing-but-whats-up-palmy-398722/)

danny.f Sep 26th 2006 12:49 pm

OK,no swearing,but what's up with Palmy?

Help us out here BE's. Every time I mention (or for that matter,my missus) that we liked Palmerston North,I get some rude sniggers (no,I said Sniggers!) and a general feeling that a lot of people would rather be in Afganistan (honest! ask Usama!) than Palmy.
We really liked it,it was clean,cheap,quite reasonably placed-all traits of my wife,actually.
My reason for this thread is simple. What do people honestly think of Palmerston North? I mean,Genesis really likes it (hi dudes!),pop 80,000, shag loads of students,cafe's,pools,rain,no visible prostitution (it's ok,Donna can turn her hand to anything!!Hi love) ,are they all wrong? You calling them stupid? Seriously-my wife has pulled a 180 turn and is thinking sheep!

What do you reckon,hey? Palmy or Welly? Eh? Tell me. Go on. Be honest? Mmmm? Anyone? :)

SirEglamore Sep 26th 2006 12:58 pm

Re: OK,no swearing,but what's up with Palmy?

Originally Posted by danny.f
Help us out here BE's. Every time I mention (or for that matter,my missus) that we liked Palmerston North,I get some rude sniggers (no,I said Sniggers!) and a general feeling that a lot of people would rather be in Afganistan (honest! ask Usama!) than Palmy.
We really liked it,it was clean,cheap,quite reasonably placed-all traits of my wife,actually.
My reason for this thread is simple. What do people honestly think of Palmerston North? I mean,Genesis really likes it (hi dudes!),pop 80,000, shag loads of students,cafe's,pools,rain,no visible prostitution (it's ok,Donna can turn her hand to anything!!Hi love) ,are they all wrong? You calling them stupid? Seriously-my wife has pulled a 180 turn and is thinking sheep!

What do you reckon,hey? Palmy or Welly? Eh? Tell me. Go on. Be honest? Mmmm? Anyone? :)

A farmer friend of mine who did a year over there said choose any where in NZ except P.N.

danny.f Sep 26th 2006 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
A farmer friend of mine who did a year over there said choose any where in NZ except P.N.

Jesus. And he was a farmer? Bloody hell. That's desperate. Panicking now-when she gets an idea....

helinuk Sep 26th 2006 2:28 pm

Jesus. And he was a farmer? Bloody hell. That's desperate. Panicking now-when she gets an idea....

Nothing wrong with PN. according to my son when on gap year last yr. Depends what you want Danny. or what Donna wants :D

hazeandsteve Sep 26th 2006 5:21 pm

I thought it was a great little city, absolutely adored Fielding and was gonna go for it there. Had a job offer too after visiting.
Unfortunately Haze didn't agree, so had to look elsewhere.
Must say, everyone we spoke to advised against it apart from them that lived there. Give it a go and find out for yourself.

danny.f Sep 26th 2006 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
I thought it was a great little city, absolutely adored Fielding and was gonna go for it there. Had a job offer too after visiting.
Unfortunately Haze didn't agree, so had to look elsewhere.
Must say, everyone we spoke to advised against it apart from them that lived there. Give it a go and find out for yourself.

This is very true. Why didn't Haze like it though?

danny.f Sep 26th 2006 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by helinuk
Nothing wrong with PN. according to my son when on gap year last yr. Depends what you want Danny. or what Donna wants :D

You know it H. I'll just do as I'm told! :rolleyes:

IainW Sep 26th 2006 9:52 pm

Nothing wrong with Palmy. It's not the prettiest town on the planet, and I guess a lot of people who have a downer on it have just driven through on the way to somewhere else and have based their judgement on a poor 1st impression.

It's pretty vibrant compared to most other NZ towns, due to the student factor. There's plenty of retail therapy to be had, it's well positioned for getting about NI and it's cheap. Lots of decent tramping country nearby too. The biggest downside for me is that the weather is a bit crap. For me it is the NZ equivalent of Stoke on Trent. A great place to live, but a crap place to visit.

I live in (and prefer) Wanganui which is about 75k away. Sunnier, by the coast & far more pleasing on the eye. A fair bit quieter though, so maybe not for the party animals amongst us. We also have a nutter for a mayor.

Jude J Sep 26th 2006 11:08 pm

You know it H. I'll just do as I'm told! :rolleyes:

forget them danny just move to auckland, you know you want to.

mumomonty Sep 27th 2006 12:09 am

If it's a choice of Palmy and Welly well they're both so different. What do you want? Welly's nice - busy, vibrant, urban, suburban and rural all in one. Handy for a trip on the ferry. PN is okay but it's farmy. Is that what you want? It's cheaper there for a reason. I suppose you could go there, find you feet and move on cos it sounds like it's an okay place. You might love it. Not much help am I?

poppets Sep 27th 2006 1:20 am

hi danny & donna
we've only been to palmy a couple of times (brought our car from there)but it looks ok to us, a bit milton keynes though. You'd maybe get more for your money there , but you'd be about an hour & a half from me!!

Genesis Sep 27th 2006 6:41 am

Originally Posted by SirEglamore

What is wrong with that farmer...more green fields and animals to fiddle with than y'all can shake a stick at!!!!

Palmy has got it all IMHO. Okay it has some very ugly buildings in the middle of it and it does not have the sea on its doorstep. We do have a lovely big square though!! And it does have about a 1001 and one things to do and a mayor who is not nutty...Lawsy is a bit like J Clarkson.....you can't help but find him appealing...even though he does come out with some outrageous stuff!"! Wellington I am sure is an utterly fantastic place to live but there are the masses there, traffic and bigger house prices...sure houses are cheaper here for a reason..less popular, no beach, less chique etc etc..but I came to Nz to have a significantly DIFFERENT way of life !! Here in Palmy I have it. Zero stress, crime does not effect my quality of life in any way, I have a house and a neighbourhood that I would need a lottery win to live in elsewhere and above all we are totally ecstatic with our new lives and everything Palmy has to offer us. Okay, it has a reputation that does it no favours..but for one family who lives here we have EVERYTHING we ever dreamed of in Palmy. 18 months on and it only gets better. Our expectations have been met many times over. Best Regards, Palmy LoversXXXXXXXXX :p

urbanproject Sep 27th 2006 7:16 am

Only been to Palmy once and quite liked it, even if I'm very much a big city person. Palmy is really nice cos the surroundings have a lot of open space and apparently can get nice value for money on property too. Plus it's a student town :D

Herm Sep 27th 2006 8:03 am

Originally Posted by IainW
Sunnier, by the coast & far more pleasing on the eye.

You've obviously not met my MIL then........

I adore NZ but Wanganui - come on, I'd rather live in Palmy at least it has a soul.

:)

hazeandsteve Sep 27th 2006 6:01 pm

Windy, that was the problem. I was offered a job in Palmy, but being with Haze is my main priority, and the decision was her's. Went to Foxton Beach, and the blow was just a bit too much.