Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Old Nov 28th 2005, 1:56 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Sugo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 493
Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by livewire
Is it being lost? perhaps, perhaps not. Please explain.

Are you saying that people find it diffcult here because they are unprepared for what they encounter and are then incapable of looking for a way out of their situation? You say you only had 3 months to prepare for your move - do you feel that you were prepared for what you found and did you prepare more than these people? To what do you attribute your success?

From what people have told me the real problems that are encountered aren't the lack of double glazing and houses made of wood, beans that don't taste of heinz, earning less than in the UK, not buying that new dress, or the latest pair of trainers.

It's finding yourself penniless because your husband's just lost his job through no fault of his own. It's surviving on a wage that is less than what was promised, having to decide whether to pay for your much needed visit to the doctor or buy food for the family; being unable to meet the mortgage payment for yet another month; having to steal wooden pallets and burn them to heat your house. It's not being able to get out and enjoy NZ because you can't afford the petrol for the trip, but you're probably having to sell the car to meet the mortgage payment anyway..

Give me an honest answer - if you were to loose your job tomorrow or unable to work for 6 months because of an injury or ill health how would you plan to survive, what contingency plan do you have?

im in the lucky position of being a health worker, i can unless im literally dying change jobs very easily, if i injur my back can work in clinics or become a health advisor, my life choice of becoming a nurse is my get out plan, if things go tits up im prepared to move to australia, canada or the US. But i believe that if the worst were to happen i could make the most of it, ive done it in the past and can do it again. I would say that if people have jobs or situations that mean they could potentially loose their jobs and they dont have a plan to protect themselves or their family then perhaps they should look at their reasons for leaving the UK for New Zealand and work out if it was the right choice for them.

I have much respect for those who move their entire families here, i think they are very brave.

Ive always believed you get out what you put in. Thats how i live, some have awful things happen and fail miserably, thats very sad and i feel for them, but for me i always live to strive and be succesful in what i do.

If your in the position where you cant heat the house or feed the family then its time to take drastic action and get out, ask for family help sell the mortgage, just do something. Its better than suffering. My family have lived on the poverty line and i can not remember when my mother and father didnt both work, my mother used to have 3 jobs when i was younger and we lived in a council house. I was lucky through their hard work they were able to send me and my brother to university, they were able to get a mortgage. Life for them had been hard and they made a great many sacrifices but they did what it took to make things better. That is where im coming from and thats why i feel my sentiment is lost somewhere in the lines im writing.

I dont want to start a to and fro of im better than thou and a hand bags at dawn routine, im just trying to allow readers to understand the reason of my post and that i dont want to cause trouble and silly arguments.

so respect to all, i hope things get better for all of us equal and all

Last edited by Sugo; Nov 28th 2005 at 2:46 am.
Sugo is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:23 am
  #17  
Isle of Wight Chick
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Rangiora, New Zealand
Posts: 59
silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

like someone said before, people on here are just being honest about how they feel about nz, whether they like it or they dont.
i personally am not struck on nz nor would i advise anyone to move here. i have these feelings because of what i have experinced here, who i have met and what i have seen. others on here have seen nothing but rainbows and flowers in nz and so they would give nz a big thumbs-up.
people on here who are being honest are a lot better than others who try to paint a pretty picture all the time. isnt it better to have honest, truthful people than liars?
silvermuse is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:31 am
  #18  
By name and by nature
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,852
Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by silvermuse
like someone said before, people on here are just being honest about how they feel about nz, whether they like it or they dont.
i personally am not struck on nz nor would i advise anyone to move here. i have these feelings because of what i have experinced here, who i have met and what i have seen. others on here have seen nothing but rainbows and flowers in nz and so they would give nz a big thumbs-up.
people on here who are being honest are a lot better than others who try to paint a pretty picture all the time. isnt it better to have honest, truthful people than liars?
Thanks! So, because I say I'm NOT having a rotten time here I'm a liar? I'm having a great time thanks very much. I have always said that just because I love it doesn't mean other people will so I am very careful not to be put in a position where someone could turn around and say 'but you said...' A pity someone like yourself wouldn't say the same
Batty is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:37 am
  #19  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Sugo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 493
Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by Batty
Thanks! So, because I say I'm NOT having a rotten time here I'm a liar? I'm having a great time thanks very much. I have always said that just because I love it doesn't mean other people will so I am very careful not to be put in a position where someone could turn around and say 'but you said...' A pity someone like yourself wouldn't say the same
well youve outed me, i must be a massive filthy dirty liar cos im loving it here.

Im proud of it, and im not the only liar either, theyre are loads of happy peeps out there, kiwis and immigrants.

So thats it im out
Sugo is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:44 am
  #20  
By name and by nature
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,852
Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by Sugo
well youve outed me, i must be a massive filthy dirty liar cos im loving it here.

Im proud of it, and im not the only liar either, theyre are loads of happy peeps out there, kiwis and immigrants.

So thats it im out
Shall we have a parade? The 'I'm a Liar and Proud' Parade
Batty is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:45 am
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Sugo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 493
Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by Batty
Shall we have a parade? The 'I'm a Liar and Proud' Parade

lol yeah perhaps we should, wonder what to wear, maybe rags and bare feet,
Sugo is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 2:47 am
  #22  
By name and by nature
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,852
Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by Sugo
lol yeah perhaps we should, wonder what to wear, maybe rags and bare feet,
Oh definitely bare feet. I can't afford shoes you know
Batty is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 5:40 am
  #23  
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 98
ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by Sugo
I'm really cheesed off with the posts of late, too much bitching and slagging off and negative posts, and bull pooh

New Zealand is a different country, things are different, there are positive and negative aspects of New Zealand. As expats we might find that we like some things about NZ and will dislike others, but we all need to remember that New Zealand is not the UK. Come here with an open mind, many post on here with negative unpleasant posts and they are still here, why???????? If its so bad do us all a favour and go home, go to Australia.

Yeah the houses might not have double galzing and are made of wood, yeah beans might not taste like heinz, yeah you may not get paid as much as the Uk, you might not be able to buy that new dress, or the latest pair of trainers,

Yeah so what, materialism is not big in New Zealand so dont bring it with you. If your considering coming to New Zealand then perhaps your lacking something in your current life, if thats truth whats the point of bringing your UK life with you.

Then there is the bull that some here spout and use against other forum posters for example debs70 recently said those who are ENGLISH and dont live in New Zealand shouldnt comment. Not even going to mention Skys posts, but the superior ive suffered thing just doesnt cut it with me.

I think people need to have an open mind and ignore this nonsense on the forum, there is a small group of dominant posters who seem to spend so much time on this forum that perhaps they are missing the real New Zealand. Maybe its time for them to go outside, breathe the fresh air, talk to a kiwi, go for lunch and sample some of the excellent food in great surroundings.


And finally......

New Zealand really isnt the UK, thats why i came here, I'm not planning on making a little Britain here, and in no way will i be living like i did in the UK. Im here to adopt a new way of life, thats the fun of experiencing a new country and its a rare privilege that many on here are squandering. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Wants the point in moving the other side of the world if you plan on living like your in England and then sulk and throw your toys out of the pram when you find that things here do not fit in with your ideals.


So anyone planning on moving here yeah read the posts but keep and open mind and be positive and prepare that if things dont fit into your ideals or expectations then have a get out plan.

My experience of New Zealand has been great, i didnt come here with much money at all and only had about 3 months planning before it was finalised. i havnt made any english friends here, all my new mates are Kiwis, and ive enjoyed living as a kiwi. The only things from the UK i have missed are family and friends and thats about it. Ive had a wonderful time trying new foods and drinks, seeing the lands and sea and meeting new people. To live here you need a positive pleasant outlook, you need to be willing to go the extra mile and you shouldnt expect thinks to be served to you on a silver plate.


New Zealand is a great country and i respect its individualism, its people and its safe way of life. If New Zealand became more like the UK then i doubt i would want to stay here, we should be celebrating the differences.

For the people on here who are relentless negative posters please carry on posting but realise that the way you post can often be seen as not just negative but downright un pleasant. Dont wear rose tinted glasses but try to remember when you were planning on coming here. When you find something negative how about trying to be helpful and find resolutions. Thats what this forum is about, try to act more kiwi and help not just whinge and wine and expect someone else to sort it out. Take responsibility for your posts.

All i have posted on here is truthful, i am in New Zealand and i am proud to be English. I hope that noone suffers not even debs70 and sky as i feel they already are which is very sad. Here is a challenge sky please post all the positive things about new zealand, all those wow moments you had. Im not taking the pi** or trying to start an argument i just want to see what you enjoyed when you came here, your obviosly courageous to move so far from the UK, so it will be interesting to find out.

thanks for having the patience to read my long post, just finished my first run of nights in New Zealand, my rose tinted contacts must really be in as i even found the drunks to be pleasant that graced our department. Had a Friday and saturday night where i didnt feel threatened or have to call security was great.
Yay for you Sugo!

A lot of people on here have a great deal of trouble distinguishing between useful constructive criticism amd whining. Worse, should anyone dare post anything positive about NZ they are immediately accused of wearing 'rose tinted glasses'. Apparently you are supposed to be unhappy and poor.

Your post was a breath of fresh air. Thanks!
ElizabethC is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:24 am
  #24  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 12
chez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by livewire
Is it being lost? perhaps, perhaps not. Please explain.

Are you saying that people find it diffcult here because they are unprepared for what they encounter and are then incapable of looking for a way out of their situation? You say you only had 3 months to prepare for your move - do you feel that you were prepared for what you found and did you prepare more than these people? To what do you attribute your success?

From what people have told me the real problems that are encountered aren't the lack of double glazing and houses made of wood, beans that don't taste of heinz, earning less than in the UK, not buying that new dress, or the latest pair of trainers.

It's finding yourself penniless because your husband's just lost his job through no fault of his own. It's surviving on a wage that is less than what was promised, having to decide whether to pay for your much needed visit to the doctor or buy food for the family; being unable to meet the mortgage payment for yet another month; having to steal wooden pallets and burn them to heat your house. It's not being able to get out and enjoy NZ because you can't afford the petrol for the trip, but you're probably having to sell the car to meet the mortgage payment anyway..

Give me an honest answer - if you were to loose your job tomorrow or unable to work for 6 months because of an injury or ill health how would you plan to survive, what contingency plan do you have?
if you have no money what are you doing spending all your time like many others on this forum on the expensive new zealand internet!!!!
chez is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 7:49 am
  #25  
BE Forum Addict
 
SarahB's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: Beachlands, East Auckland
Posts: 2,957
SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Yay for you Sugo!

A lot of people on here have a great deal of trouble distinguishing between useful constructive criticism amd whining. Worse, should anyone dare post anything positive about NZ they are immediately accused of wearing 'rose tinted glasses'. Apparently you are supposed to be unhappy and poor.

Your post was a breath of fresh air. Thanks!

I lurk around in here now and then and dont agree with this.... it seems to me that should "anyone dare post anything negative about nz" they are immediately called a Doom and Gloom merchant.
SarahB is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 8:02 am
  #26  
Nice Tats
 
Pompey_Paul's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: PARADISE DARN SARRF
Posts: 819
Pompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of lightPompey_Paul is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Horse's for Course's i think.............lets keep the forum as it is, we are all grown ups and can see where posts apply to us and where they dont, lets not forget that this is a community here and what would a community be without a little humanity?
Pompey_Paul is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:23 pm
  #27  
Isle of Wight Chick
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Rangiora, New Zealand
Posts: 59
silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

how old are you guys? you act so childish im surprised they even allowed u into the country. im not saying that ppl who are having a good time here are liars. im just saying, for those people who arent having such a fab time, its better for them to come out with the truth about how they feel about nz. and nz isnt an amazing god-given country so get over urselves. im glad u like it here, i couldnt give a flying f**k if u had the nz flag tattooed on ur forehead. as usual, people on forums have to go overboard and take everyones posts the wrong way.
and if u like nz so much, why are u constantly posting pointless things on here? shouldnt u be out playing rugby or having a barbie?
silvermuse is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 10:41 pm
  #28  
Make pumps lots......
 
Den13's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 149
Den13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really niceDen13 is just really nice
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Well, how inevitable was this.


Some like it. Some don't.



How about a little respect rather than 'I'm right, you're wrong'.
Den13 is offline  
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:03 pm
  #29  
livewire
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by chez
if you have no money what are you doing spending all your time like many others on this forum on the expensive new zealand internet!!!!
Lol, Where did I say I had no money? Bless ya.

Those who know me well know that our lives here are very good - even by UK standards, money is not something we lack. We are a testament to the fact that you can have a good standard of living in NZ.

However, that doesn't stop me from being able to see the reality of life for many other people, neither does it prevent me from wanting to make sure that people aren't misled.

Never did subscribe to the "I'm alright jack" club .
 
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:55 pm
  #30  
sky
Banned
 
sky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,467
sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by livewire
Lol, Where did I say I had no money? Bless ya.

Those who know me well know that our lives here are very good - even by UK standards, money is not something we lack. We are a testament to the fact that you can have a good standard of living in NZ.

However, that doesn't stop me from being able to see the reality of life for many other people, neither does it prevent me from wanting to make sure that people aren't misled.

Never did subscribe to the "I'm alright jack" club .

Where's the hug smiley on here?

livewire you're one of the best forum posters on here, very level headed and unbiased
sky is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.