British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Ok New Zealand really is a different country (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/ok-new-zealand-really-different-country-339705/)

Sugo Nov 27th 2005 8:23 am

Ok New Zealand really is a different country

I'm really cheesed off with the posts of late, too much bitching and slagging off and negative posts, and bull pooh

New Zealand is a different country, things are different, there are positive and negative aspects of New Zealand. As expats we might find that we like some things about NZ and will dislike others, but we all need to remember that New Zealand is not the UK. Come here with an open mind, many post on here with negative unpleasant posts and they are still here, why???????? If its so bad do us all a favour and go home, go to Australia.

Yeah the houses might not have double galzing and are made of wood, yeah beans might not taste like heinz, yeah you may not get paid as much as the Uk, you might not be able to buy that new dress, or the latest pair of trainers,

Yeah so what, materialism is not big in New Zealand so dont bring it with you. If your considering coming to New Zealand then perhaps your lacking something in your current life, if thats truth whats the point of bringing your UK life with you.

Then there is the bull that some here spout and use against other forum posters for example debs70 recently said those who are ENGLISH and dont live in New Zealand shouldnt comment. Not even going to mention Skys posts, but the superior ive suffered thing just doesnt cut it with me.

I think people need to have an open mind and ignore this nonsense on the forum, there is a small group of dominant posters who seem to spend so much time on this forum that perhaps they are missing the real New Zealand. Maybe its time for them to go outside, breathe the fresh air, talk to a kiwi, go for lunch and sample some of the excellent food in great surroundings.

And finally......

New Zealand really isnt the UK, thats why i came here, I'm not planning on making a little Britain here, and in no way will i be living like i did in the UK. Im here to adopt a new way of life, thats the fun of experiencing a new country and its a rare privilege that many on here are squandering. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Wants the point in moving the other side of the world if you plan on living like your in England and then sulk and throw your toys out of the pram when you find that things here do not fit in with your ideals.

So anyone planning on moving here yeah read the posts but keep and open mind and be positive and prepare that if things dont fit into your ideals or expectations then have a get out plan.

My experience of New Zealand has been great, i didnt come here with much money at all and only had about 3 months planning before it was finalised. i havnt made any english friends here, all my new mates are Kiwis, and ive enjoyed living as a kiwi. The only things from the UK i have missed are family and friends and thats about it. Ive had a wonderful time trying new foods and drinks, seeing the lands and sea and meeting new people. To live here you need a positive pleasant outlook, you need to be willing to go the extra mile and you shouldnt expect thinks to be served to you on a silver plate.

New Zealand is a great country and i respect its individualism, its people and its safe way of life. If New Zealand became more like the UK then i doubt i would want to stay here, we should be celebrating the differences.

For the people on here who are relentless negative posters please carry on posting but realise that the way you post can often be seen as not just negative but downright un pleasant. Dont wear rose tinted glasses but try to remember when you were planning on coming here. When you find something negative how about trying to be helpful and find resolutions. Thats what this forum is about, try to act more kiwi and help not just whinge and wine and expect someone else to sort it out. Take responsibility for your posts.

All i have posted on here is truthful, i am in New Zealand and i am proud to be English. I hope that noone suffers not even debs70 and sky as i feel they already are which is very sad. Here is a challenge sky please post all the positive things about new zealand, all those wow moments you had. Im not taking the pi** or trying to start an argument i just want to see what you enjoyed when you came here, your obviosly courageous to move so far from the UK, so it will be interesting to find out.

thanks for having the patience to read my long post, just finished my first run of nights in New Zealand, my rose tinted contacts must really be in as i even found the drunks to be pleasant that graced our department. Had a Friday and saturday night where i didnt feel threatened or have to call security was great.

kathm Nov 27th 2005 11:16 am

Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Hi,

I don't want to comment regarding posts which are seen as negative - I read all the posts that seem relevant to my situation and make up my own mind.

What I am posting to say is to Sugo - it really soundslike you are making a good go of it in NZ. We fly out in 6 weeks and to be honest I am really starting to poo my pants, while being really excited as well. Like you, this has all happened very quickly - Dave got his job offer early October I think and we are flying out on 8th of January. Because of such a short time frame, we will be leaving our house unsold in the UK and will really have a bad time financially to start with - paying rent in NZ, mortgage in UK and all this with one wage (all be it a decent one) and three under 4s.

I hope that we can embrace thekiwi lifestyle as well as you obviously have, Sugo. Thanks for showing me it can be done in such a short time. I feel like there is so much I ought to be doing to organise things, but we are sort of in that limbo stage at the moment - all the big things booked, cancelling things as we need to, etc, but somehow feel I've missed something and I should be running around like a headless chook (do they say that in NZ as well or just oz???)

Sorry for my ramble.

Kathryn

UNIONJACK Nov 27th 2005 3:45 pm

Well said Sugo, what an excellent post, we go out in Feb 2006 and for me you have highlighted all the reasons why we are making such a big move. We plan to fit in. If people tried to fit in more in the UK maybe it wouldn't be such a s**t place to live. So things may be a bit more expensive and the TV is not very good, big deal!!! We plan to be outside enjoying the country, that doesn't cost anything. If we find that it is not for us then at least we can say we gave it a go.
Good Luck Everyone!!!!!!!

Boopy Nov 27th 2005 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by UNIONJACK
Well said Sugo, what an excellent post, we go out in Feb 2006 and for me you have highlighted all the reasons why we are making such a big move. We plan to fit in. If people tried to fit in more in the UK maybe it wouldn't be such a s**t place to live. So things may be a bit more expensive and the TV is not very good, big deal!!! We plan to be outside enjoying the country, that doesn't cost anything. If we find that it is not for us then at least we can say we gave it a go.
Good Luck Everyone!!!!!!!

I'll second that. Everybody's different and we all have different expectations.

Batty Nov 27th 2005 6:00 pm

Yeah - I've been here since June and it's exactly as I knew it would be. Even when I was still back in Ireland and hearing that I couldn't know what it was like until I got here :rolleyes: I'm still the same person I was - I didn't suddenly have a personality transplant somewhere over Singapore :D So, the things that helped me to settle are the same things that have helped me settle in every other country I've lived in (3). Unless you get a life threatening illness or some other catastrophe occurs, it's really down to you and the decisions you make when you get here. We've all made bad ones from time to time and making them 12,000 miles from home is always going to be a bummer. I love my life now (ok - does anyone want a mother in law? :D ) - good luck to everyone on their way. I hope you're all as happy as I am this time next year.

Sugo Nov 27th 2005 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Sugo
I'm really cheesed off with the posts of late, too much bitching and slagging off and negative posts, and bull pooh

New Zealand is a different country, things are different, there are positive and negative aspects of New Zealand. As expats we might find that we like some things about NZ and will dislike others, but we all need to remember that New Zealand is not the UK. Come here with an open mind, many post on here with negative unpleasant posts and they are still here, why???????? If its so bad do us all a favour and go home, go to Australia.

Yeah the houses might not have double galzing and are made of wood, yeah beans might not taste like heinz, yeah you may not get paid as much as the Uk, you might not be able to buy that new dress, or the latest pair of trainers,

Yeah so what, materialism is not big in New Zealand so dont bring it with you. If your considering coming to New Zealand then perhaps your lacking something in your current life, if thats truth whats the point of bringing your UK life with you.

Then there is the bull that some here spout and use against other forum posters for example debs70 recently said those who are ENGLISH and dont live in New Zealand shouldnt comment. Not even going to mention Skys posts, but the superior ive suffered thing just doesnt cut it with me.

I think people need to have an open mind and ignore this nonsense on the forum, there is a small group of dominant posters who seem to spend so much time on this forum that perhaps they are missing the real New Zealand. Maybe its time for them to go outside, breathe the fresh air, talk to a kiwi, go for lunch and sample some of the excellent food in great surroundings.

And finally......

New Zealand really isnt the UK, thats why i came here, I'm not planning on making a little Britain here, and in no way will i be living like i did in the UK. Im here to adopt a new way of life, thats the fun of experiencing a new country and its a rare privilege that many on here are squandering. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Wants the point in moving the other side of the world if you plan on living like your in England and then sulk and throw your toys out of the pram when you find that things here do not fit in with your ideals.

So anyone planning on moving here yeah read the posts but keep and open mind and be positive and prepare that if things dont fit into your ideals or expectations then have a get out plan.

My experience of New Zealand has been great, i didnt come here with much money at all and only had about 3 months planning before it was finalised. i havnt made any english friends here, all my new mates are Kiwis, and ive enjoyed living as a kiwi. The only things from the UK i have missed are family and friends and thats about it. Ive had a wonderful time trying new foods and drinks, seeing the lands and sea and meeting new people. To live here you need a positive pleasant outlook, you need to be willing to go the extra mile and you shouldnt expect thinks to be served to you on a silver plate.

New Zealand is a great country and i respect its individualism, its people and its safe way of life. If New Zealand became more like the UK then i doubt i would want to stay here, we should be celebrating the differences.

For the people on here who are relentless negative posters please carry on posting but realise that the way you post can often be seen as not just negative but downright un pleasant. Dont wear rose tinted glasses but try to remember when you were planning on coming here. When you find something negative how about trying to be helpful and find resolutions. Thats what this forum is about, try to act more kiwi and help not just whinge and wine and expect someone else to sort it out. Take responsibility for your posts.

All i have posted on here is truthful, i am in New Zealand and i am proud to be English. I hope that noone suffers not even debs70 and sky as i feel they already are which is very sad. Here is a challenge sky please post all the positive things about new zealand, all those wow moments you had. Im not taking the pi** or trying to start an argument i just want to see what you enjoyed when you came here, your obviosly courageous to move so far from the UK, so it will be interesting to find out.

thanks for having the patience to read my long post, just finished my first run of nights in New Zealand, my rose tinted contacts must really be in as i even found the drunks to be pleasant that graced our department. Had a Friday and saturday night where i didnt feel threatened or have to call security was great.

please note the bit about suffering refers to a post made by one of the posters that was removed by the moderators which was inflammatory and made remarks that the poster wanted people to suffer.

hubbard Nov 27th 2005 8:49 pm

A very good post and I wish you well but some of us came, lived in NZ, got good jobs, didn't struggle financially, made friends, and still didn't like the place. Are we allowed to post our reasons as to what we thought NZ was a big disappointment?

livewire Nov 27th 2005 9:02 pm

Well I've been living here a while now and can see the good and the bad points of NZ and I try to paint an honest picture of things as I can.

No one is best served by hearing only one side of the story so I hope those who are altruistic enough to share their personal experiences of NZ life (good and bad) and have taken the time to share them on this forum are treated with equal respect and courtesy.

An attempt to censor someone so that their posts fit in with your own view of NZ is wrong. Let people post their honest accounts and we can make up our own minds.

turkeytickler Nov 27th 2005 9:03 pm

Sugo - I think you make some very fair points and I agree with a lot of your sentiments. I would like to add my personal spin to the arguement - since i think some of the negative comments are very justified;

Re "Fitting In" -
I totally agree that when you leave one country, you go with the intention of fitting in and absorbing the new culture. I find the british expats that buy up farms in france and spain and expect everyone to speak English when they get there quite repulsive. The problem with New Zealand (and I suspect Australia and South Africa etc) is that it is already SO similar because of its roots and cultural youth. I am depressed at how similar Christchurch is to the old suburban England I managed to avoid for years. The only real differences are subtle and for me they are on the whole quite negative. The Maori culture is not really a big part of Cantabrian life, and even if it were the European New Zealanders don’t seem to have any feeling of ownership of it.

Re the Cost of Living -
I have been over there since August, living in Christchurch. I am very lucky in as much as I telework from home for my old employer in the UK so am still paid UK money in £s which translates very nicely. However, I am dreading the day this dries up .... I have seen the salaries for my line of work and i am looking at pay cut of 20%-30%.

On top of this there is the old cost of living chestnut;

When i lived in the UK I lived in walking distance from work and town, and since I didnt need one and since I dont particularly like them, I didnt own a car. In Christchurch, is it impossible to exist without a car. The city is just built that way. In fairness, petrol here is cheaper than in the UK. Nevertheless, a car and all that goes with it is now an unavoidable expense that I never had before.

I do not consider myself materialistic. I dont have a "big television" or any of those kinds of things. I am not interested in branded sportswear. My only vices are;
- Reading
- Good food and drink
- Cycling

Reading - Well we all know how much a book or magazine in NZ costs. Might as well forget it. This is not so bad for me, since I can get my family to come over with a suitcase full of the stuff when they visit but for the bread and butter stuff - like schoolbooks for kids.... that worries me.

I have said in previous posts with my tongue slightly in my cheek that it is cheaper to eat out that cook your own food. There is some truth in this. Food here is horrendously expensive.

Reading good books and eating good food are two things i dont consider to be materialistic or greedy - they are basic human pleasures that are not available to me now. I suspect the reason for food being more expensive is that in the UK it is artifically cheap thanks to the supermarkets screwing their suppliers on our behalf. I personally would prefer to pay more and know the whole chain was working but that wont be possible when my earnings enter kiwidollarland.

Cycling doest cost much apart from when i have to replace bits and bobs - unfortunately is works out significantly cheaper to import the gear from the uk and pay the postage than it does to buy it locally. that is sad but its all i can afford.

The lifestyle argument is one that is often used to counter the cost of living argument but I think a lot of people are struggling to make ends meet and the “great outdoors’ is out of reach so there is no net benefit.

For these reasons, my Wife and I are 90% sure we will be returning to the UK next year.

livewire Nov 27th 2005 9:06 pm

Good post Turkey Tickler.

hubbard Nov 27th 2005 9:28 pm

Excellent post Turkey Tickler.

We stayed in NZ for three years and then left. Our reasons for leaving had nothing to do with money, jobs or homesickness. We left because we thought NZ was 'OK' but there were better places (including the UK) to live. I apprecaite that it is very hard for potential new arrivals to NZ to accept it but NZ may not be all you think it will be. Some of the more 'negative' posts on this forum at least make people aware of some of the downsides to living in NZ. And surely if you are forewarned you are less likely to be disappointed.

Sugo Nov 27th 2005 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by livewire
Well I've been living here a while now and can see the good and the bad points of NZ and I try to paint an honest picture of things as I can.

No one is best served by hearing only one side of the story so I hope those who are altruistic enough to share their personal experiences of NZ life (good and bad) and have taken the time to share their experiences on this forum are treated with equal respect and courtesy.

An attempt to censor someone so that their posts fit in with your own view of NZ is wrong. Let people post their honest accounts and we can make up our own minds.

the censor ship by the mods was necassary as the poster called everyone idiots and liars, which is not right on a forum like this,

also i value negative posts but some just moan and whinge but dont look for answers to get themselves out of the situations and they dont post helpful posts. If it was one sided and all pleasant and lovely then evryone will move here, i will be off at that point cos it will be england then.

All im really saying is that the posts need to be more helpful than negative, and that people who move to NZ need to really make sure its what they want and they need to prepare for difficult times and plan a way out if things dont go how they expect.

Some are just not ready for it, some jobs are paid less here than they do in the UK, so people might have high expectations that match theyre life in the UK.

For me life was crap in the UK, here i can live in my own home which has more than one room, for me thats a big deal, here i can feel safe at work, thats a big deal too. So my expectations would not match others.

Just remember New Zealand is not the UK, sounds stupid but its true.

livewire Nov 27th 2005 9:51 pm

Lol, if NZ were the UK we certainly wouldn't have come here.

I don't see it as moaning and whinging at all - just people being honest.

As for you saying that people "dont look for answers to get themselves out of the situation" - well it seems to me that the people you've mentioned have been very resourceful in dealing with problems they have been presented with in NZ, they are to be respected for that and not put down.

I sincerely hope that you do not encounter the hardship they have had to deal with, but if you do there will be people on this forum who will support you and not put the boot in. There is some humanity left.

Sugo Nov 27th 2005 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by livewire
Lol, if NZ were the UK we certainly wouldn't have come here.

I don't see it as moaning and whinging at all - just people being honest.

As for you saying that people "dont look for answers to get themselves out of the situation" - well it seems to me that the people you've mentioned have been very resourceful in dealing with problems they have been presented with in NZ, they are to be respected for that and not put down.

I sincerely hope that you do not encounter the hardship they have had to deal with, but if you do there will be people on this forum who will support you and not put the boot in. There is some humanity left.

i think what im trying to say is being lost somewhere, oh well live and let live, its a sad sad world out there

livewire Nov 27th 2005 11:52 pm

Is it being lost? perhaps, perhaps not. Please explain.

Are you saying that people find it diffcult here because they are unprepared for what they encounter and are then incapable of looking for a way out of their situation? You say you only had 3 months to prepare for your move - do you feel that you were prepared for what you found and did you prepare more than these people? To what do you attribute your success?

From what people have told me the real problems that are encountered aren't the lack of double glazing and houses made of wood, beans that don't taste of heinz, earning less than in the UK, not buying that new dress, or the latest pair of trainers.

It's finding yourself penniless because your husband's just lost his job through no fault of his own. It's surviving on a wage that is less than what was promised, having to decide whether to pay for your much needed visit to the doctor or buy food for the family; being unable to meet the mortgage payment for yet another month; having to steal wooden pallets and burn them to heat your house. It's not being able to get out and enjoy NZ because you can't afford the petrol for the trip, but you're probably having to sell the car to meet the mortgage payment anyway..

Give me an honest answer - if you were to loose your job tomorrow or unable to work for 6 months because of an injury or ill health how would you plan to survive, what contingency plan do you have?