Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Location: I'm a Brit who's lived in Auckland for the last 2 years
NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future
Default Re: Ok New Zealand really is a different country

Originally Posted by SarahB
I lurk around in here now and then and dont agree with this.... it seems to me that should "anyone dare post anything negative about nz" they are immediately called a Doom and Gloom merchant.
Couldn't agree more. I'm not posting anywhere near as much as I was just because basically i'm fed up of being abused for shattering people's misconceptions about this country. Bizarrely, the abuse generally comes from people in the UK who don't want their dreams of Utopia shattered before they get here or by Kiwis who feel the need to stick up for how fabulous their country is, despite the fact that they live in Dubai or the US or the UK....in fact, anywhere but NZ... Hmmmm, interesting now I come to think about it.

And in response to the "I love NZ brigade", everywhere is different and if I hated this country, I wouldn't be living here. And contrary to what people have posted, I didn't come here because I hated the UK either, my partner and I came here because we fwanted to see the world and both of us had a hankering to work somewhere other than the UK. That sort of thing broadens the mind don't ya know...

And while i'm having a bit of a rant, as i'm perfectly entitled to do considering some of the bullshit that gets posted on this forum, i'd like to also point out that nothing i've ever posted has been speculation - it's all backed up by facts or clearly comes with the caveat "in my experience". Funnily enough, the only person that's had my experience is me so i'm uniquely qualified to give it. There's a lot of "I think that....blah blah blah" or "Please tell me all the fabulous things about NZ as i'm thinking of moving there". I don't think i've seen a single thread where the OP has said something along the lines of:

"Please give me the good and the bad about NZ so I can make an informed choice as to whether this country is going to be a good move for me and my family/kids/wife/dog/pet monkey."

There's a lot of people here that are persisting in maintaining the rose-coloured specs version of NZ and that's a ****ing bad idea if you ask me. I love living here but there are some things that drive me to distraction and that wasn't any different when i lived in the UK. HOWEVER, there are a lot of things said about this country to entice people to come here that are just plain lies. And that's not cool. It's false advertising.

So here's an open plea to any people involved in promoting NZ in any way shape or form and to all businesses that lie to get people here:

Front up, be honest and don't try to pull the wool over people's eyes. Don't tell it like it used to be; back in the good old days when you could own two houses, earn 20 grand and have a fantastic living in a smog-free, traffic-free environment where the sunsets are fantastic and the beach is just around the corner. Tell it like it is now; where the vast majority of the people that live in a major city do struggle to make ends meet and they don't have the best standard of living in the world and they all travel to work on the congested roads in the smog but in an environment where the sunsets are fantastic and the beach is just around the corner...

I will (until I get banned for not toeing the line in perpetuating the myth that is NZ presumably) continue to tell it like it is (in my experience of this country so far) and not beat around the bush and not ignore the negatives in favour of the positives. There are good things, bad things and indifferent things about this country. I came here to broaden my horizons and sometimes it's the best view i've seen in a long time and sometimes i can't see the view for the big steaming piles of BS in the way...

Oh and one last thing - if you are a Kiwi and you don't live here and you haven't lived here and earnt dollars in the last five years or so, you have absolutely no freaking idea what you are talking about, particularly in terms of cost of living and how hard it is to exist in this country because every single person i've talked to that's lived here for any length of time (Kiwi and Brit) has said that this country has changed immeasurably in that time and is simply not the country that it was 5 years ago. So, your info is no longer valid in many cases.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:06 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
Couldn't agree more. I'm not posting anywhere near as much as I was just because basically i'm fed up of being abused for shattering people's misconceptions about this country. Bizarrely, the abuse generally comes from people in the UK who don't want their dreams of Utopia shattered before they get here or by Kiwis who feel the need to stick up for how fabulous their country is, despite the fact that they live in Dubai or the US or the UK....in fact, anywhere but NZ... Hmmmm, interesting now I come to think about it.

And in response to the "I love NZ brigade", everywhere is different and if I hated this country, I wouldn't be living here. And contrary to what people have posted, I didn't come here because I hated the UK either, my partner and I came here because we fwanted to see the world and both of us had a hankering to work somewhere other than the UK. That sort of thing broadens the mind don't ya know...

And while i'm having a bit of a rant, as i'm perfectly entitled to do considering some of the bullshit that gets posted on this forum, i'd like to also point out that nothing i've ever posted has been speculation - it's all backed up by facts or clearly comes with the caveat "in my experience". Funnily enough, the only person that's had my experience is me so i'm uniquely qualified to give it. There's a lot of "I think that....blah blah blah" or "Please tell me all the fabulous things about NZ as i'm thinking of moving there". I don't think i've seen a single thread where the OP has said something along the lines of:

"Please give me the good and the bad about NZ so I can make an informed choice as to whether this country is going to be a good move for me and my family/kids/wife/dog/pet monkey."

There's a lot of people here that are persisting in maintaining the rose-coloured specs version of NZ and that's a ****ing bad idea if you ask me. I love living here but there are some things that drive me to distraction and that wasn't any different when i lived in the UK. HOWEVER, there are a lot of things said about this country to entice people to come here that are just plain lies. And that's not cool. It's false advertising.

So here's an open plea to any people involved in promoting NZ in any way shape or form and to all businesses that lie to get people here:

Front up, be honest and don't try to pull the wool over people's eyes. Don't tell it like it used to be; back in the good old days when you could own two houses, earn 20 grand and have a fantastic living in a smog-free, traffic-free environment where the sunsets are fantastic and the beach is just around the corner. Tell it like it is now; where the vast majority of the people that live in a major city do struggle to make ends meet and they don't have the best standard of living in the world and they all travel to work on the congested roads in the smog but in an environment where the sunsets are fantastic and the beach is just around the corner...

I will (until I get banned for not toeing the line in perpetuating the myth that is NZ presumably) continue to tell it like it is (in my experience of this country so far) and not beat around the bush and not ignore the negatives in favour of the positives. There are good things, bad things and indifferent things about this country. I came here to broaden my horizons and sometimes it's the best view i've seen in a long time and sometimes i can't see the view for the big steaming piles of BS in the way...

Oh and one last thing - if you are a Kiwi and you don't live here and you haven't lived here and earnt dollars in the last five years or so, you have absolutely no freaking idea what you are talking about, particularly in terms of cost of living and how hard it is to exist in this country because every single person i've talked to that's lived here for any length of time (Kiwi and Brit) has said that this country has changed immeasurably in that time and is simply not the country that it was 5 years ago. So, your info is no longer valid in many cases.
That was a really good post!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:12 pm
K9s
Forum Regular

K9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really niceK9s is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sugo
I'm really cheesed off with the posts of late, too much bitching and slagging off and negative posts, and bull pooh

New Zealand is a different country, things are different, there are positive and negative aspects of New Zealand. As expats we might find that we like some things about NZ and will dislike others, but we all need to remember that New Zealand is not the UK. Come here with an open mind, many post on here with negative unpleasant posts and they are still here, why???????? If its so bad do us all a favour and go home, go to Australia.

Yeah the houses might not have double galzing and are made of wood, yeah beans might not taste like heinz, yeah you may not get paid as much as the Uk, you might not be able to buy that new dress, or the latest pair of trainers,

Yeah so what, materialism is not big in New Zealand so dont bring it with you. If your considering coming to New Zealand then perhaps your lacking something in your current life, if thats truth whats the point of bringing your UK life with you.

Then there is the bull that some here spout and use against other forum posters for example debs70 recently said those who are ENGLISH and dont live in New Zealand shouldnt comment. Not even going to mention Skys posts, but the superior ive suffered thing just doesnt cut it with me.

I think people need to have an open mind and ignore this nonsense on the forum, there is a small group of dominant posters who seem to spend so much time on this forum that perhaps they are missing the real New Zealand. Maybe its time for them to go outside, breathe the fresh air, talk to a kiwi, go for lunch and sample some of the excellent food in great surroundings.

And finally......

New Zealand really isnt the UK, thats why i came here, I'm not planning on making a little Britain here, and in no way will i be living like i did in the UK. Im here to adopt a new way of life, thats the fun of experiencing a new country and its a rare privilege that many on here are squandering. When in Rome do as the Romans do. Wants the point in moving the other side of the world if you plan on living like your in England and then sulk and throw your toys out of the pram when you find that things here do not fit in with your ideals.

So anyone planning on moving here yeah read the posts but keep and open mind and be positive and prepare that if things dont fit into your ideals or expectations then have a get out plan.

My experience of New Zealand has been great, i didnt come here with much money at all and only had about 3 months planning before it was finalised. i havnt made any english friends here, all my new mates are Kiwis, and ive enjoyed living as a kiwi. The only things from the UK i have missed are family and friends and thats about it. Ive had a wonderful time trying new foods and drinks, seeing the lands and sea and meeting new people. To live here you need a positive pleasant outlook, you need to be willing to go the extra mile and you shouldnt expect thinks to be served to you on a silver plate.

New Zealand is a great country and i respect its individualism, its people and its safe way of life. If New Zealand became more like the UK then i doubt i would want to stay here, we should be celebrating the differences.

For the people on here who are relentless negative posters please carry on posting but realise that the way you post can often be seen as not just negative but downright un pleasant. Dont wear rose tinted glasses but try to remember when you were planning on coming here. When you find something negative how about trying to be helpful and find resolutions. Thats what this forum is about, try to act more kiwi and help not just whinge and wine and expect someone else to sort it out. Take responsibility for your posts.

All i have posted on here is truthful, i am in New Zealand and i am proud to be English. I hope that noone suffers not even debs70 and sky as i feel they already are which is very sad. Here is a challenge sky please post all the positive things about new zealand, all those wow moments you had. Im not taking the pi** or trying to start an argument i just want to see what you enjoyed when you came here, your obviosly courageous to move so far from the UK, so it will be interesting to find out.

thanks for having the patience to read my long post, just finished my first run of nights in New Zealand, my rose tinted contacts must really be in as i even found the drunks to be pleasant that graced our department. Had a Friday and saturday night where i didnt feel threatened or have to call security was great.

And that was a really good post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K9
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:19 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was!
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by silvermuse
how old are you guys? you act so childish im surprised they even allowed u into the country. im not saying that ppl who are having a good time here are liars. im just saying, for those people who arent having such a fab time, its better for them to come out with the truth about how they feel about nz. and nz isnt an amazing god-given country so get over urselves. im glad u like it here, i couldnt give a flying f**k if u had the nz flag tattooed on ur forehead. as usual, people on forums have to go overboard and take everyones posts the wrong way.
and if u like nz so much, why are u constantly posting pointless things on here? shouldnt u be out playing rugby or having a barbie?

love it, i plan on never getting old, dont wanna be a grown up ever, i see how we treat the elderly through work, why would i want to hurry the process of getting old.

i do agree with you though, people do take others posts the wrong way, this is obviously a common trate on this forum.

i agree with den some like it some dont, just respect that belief, this started cos some wassuck decided to call all of us who are succesful here and are enjoying it liars, now i respect thoughs who dont enjoy it here, and i expect them to respect that i am really enjoying it here, so deal with it.

If we all hated nz and slagged it off this forum would be very dull indeed.

just have a bit of respect, lol feel like we should all sit in a circle with a talking stick, lets get Dr Phil in and do some therapy. (tongue in cheek humour please dont get offended)

live let live, just dont say im a liar cos i enjoy it here and dont expect me to bitch about it, its not all great ive seen that through work, you should see how some treat the woman here. But anyway im happy here and feel chilled here, so geton wioth life im happy and hope through this forum to balance the views by letting people know that you can survive here and live here comfortably and enjoy it
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:44 pm
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

jesus christ, i didnt say people who say they like it here are liars. in fact, i didint say anyone was. i meant that it is better for people to be honest about nz, whether they want to marry it or kill it, than for them to 'pull the wool' over everyones eyes (as someone else said) and only talk about the positive factors. if someone who was planning to move to nz and read all the positive posts because no one is allowed to say anything negative about this place, than they will certainly be shocked when the get here because not everything is what it is made out to be. it is good to see plus and negative sides to the whole story. therefore, u and ur lot like it here and some others, like me, are not too keen. but good luck to u, im pleased to that u like it here and ur kiwi dream is being fulfilled.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of lightSugo is a glorious beacon of light

jesus christ, i didnt say people who say they like it here are liars. in fact, i didint say anyone was. i meant that it is better for people to be honest about nz, whether they want to marry it or kill it, than for them to 'pull the wool' over everyones eyes (as someone else said) and only talk about the positive factors. if someone who was planning to move to nz and read all the positive posts because no one is allowed to say anything negative about this place, than they will certainly be shocked when the get here because not everything is what it is made out to be. it is good to see plus and negative sides to the whole story. therefore, u and ur lot like it here and some others, like me, are not too keen. but good luck to u, im pleased to that u like it here and ur kiwi dream is being fulfilled.

silvermuse it wasnt you that called us liars it was a prevous poster of the dominant negative variety the message was delated my a mod, sorry if it sounded like i said it was you.

have some karma
Old Nov 28th 2005, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

NZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant futureNZ Climber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sugo
ive let live, just dont say im a liar cos i enjoy it here and dont expect me to bitch about it.
WTF? You do a good post extolling the virtues of NZ and how you've had a great experience and that it's not all bad and then you come out with something that clearly showed you don't always engage your brain... No-one is expecting you to bitch about it, all most of us (well me anyway) are asking is for people to tell the good and the bad, not just the good or the bad. It's called HONESTY...

jesus christ, i didnt say people who say they like it here are liars. in fact, i didint say anyone was. i meant that it is better for people to be honest about nz, whether they want to marry it or kill it, than for them to 'pull the wool' over everyones eyes (as someone else said) and only talk about the positive factors.
Couldn't agree more. Finally, someone who has actually worked out that honesty makes for the most informed decisions.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

WTF? You do a good post extolling the virtues of NZ and how you've had a great experience and that it's not all bad and then you come out with something that clearly showed you don't always engage your brain... No-one is expecting you to bitch about it, all most of us (well me anyway) are asking is for people to tell the good and the bad, not just the good or the bad. It's called HONESTY...

Couldn't agree more. Finally, someone who has actually worked out that honesty makes for the most informed decisions.

christ, the point is people seem to want bitching and saying how they hate NZ, those who state they like it here are called liars or rose tinted or delusional. SO WTF i have explained my positive experiences and havnt found anything to bitch about that has effected my experience.

If you read some of the other posts on here you will see the comments made that put down the postive folk like myself, now i dont jump down the throat of those who post negative remarks, this forum is just getting to silly for words, its very sad really,
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:01 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I am a kiwi and I do live here and I have earnt dollars, and I do have a "freaking idea" and I do not find it hard to exist, my cost of living is fine (not magnificent you understand) and of course the country has changed - for the better in my opinion.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

I left NZ 2 and a half years ago....does that mean I still have an idea?
I go back to NZ for a month every year as well and i'm well aware of the changes to cost of living etc.

Am i still allowed to post?
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:40 am
Isle of Wight Chick

silvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant futuresilvermuse has a brilliant future

i dont think anyone who says they like it here are liars or are blinded by rose tinted glasses. i am really pleased that u like it here, i really am. and im pleased that my family likes it here too. unfortunately, there are always people to contradict ur own personal viewpoints. i think nz is a great country but just not personally right for me. i am proud to say i live in nz but i dont feel happy here. i know that doesnt make any sense at all. if i could leave tomorrow, i would but unfortunately, my age sort of stands against me.
i have met some very arrogant, hot-head, aggressive individuals in this country and they have dampered any positive thoughts i ever had of this place.
the people on here have to accept negative comments about precious nz as well as the people who accept ur positive comments.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:55 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

This is all quite hilarious really as you are all agreeing, yet disagreeing at the same time. NZ Climber, what have you started???? (good post btw.)

I can completely understand where everyone is coming from and personally hate the 'doom & gloom' title sometimes used for those more honest personal posts. Sadly those people using and thinking it are most at risk of being in trouble once in NZ.

Unfortunately it looks like a few valuable members are being driven away from the forum by frustration, which personally I don't think is a good thing for everyone else. Please bear this in mind if you can.

Happy Tuesday everyone! Carmen.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 5:57 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

i dont think anyone who says they like it here are liars or are blinded by rose tinted glasses.
Hello. Do you know Jan from Bookemjano? I believe she lives in the same town as you, having moved over quite recently. Just thought I'd mention it. Carmen.
Old Nov 29th 2005, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Well I am a kiwi and I do live here and I have earnt dollars, and I do have a "freaking idea" and I do not find it hard to exist, my cost of living is fine (not magnificent you understand) and of course the country has changed - for the better in my opinion.
Fair enough, bet you didn't buy your house in the last five years though did you? And I bet that on your "not finding it hard to exist" living wage, your mortgage (if it even exists at all) is about half of an eighth of **** all.

Try earning what you earn now and then being able to afford to scrape together a deposit for a house in a niceish area in Auckland in which to raise a family...

No, didn't think you could. And neither can anyone else that's earning dollars, at least not without putting about 60% or more of their (combined) salary into the mortgage - which has interest rates around 9% and set to rise further. That means that you don't have the disposable income and therefore, the cost of living is extermely disproportionate to what you earn.

You narrow minded Kiwis really get on my tits. When are you going to understand that it isn't 20 years ago, houses are no longer affordable compared to wages and that if you've had to buy a house in the last 5 or 6 years, especially in Auckland, it kills you. If you sell a house that you bought 30 years ago (or inherited), you'll make a killing and can therefore afford your house of choice with next to bugger all of a mortgage. Mortgage rates in NZ are a killer and when you don't have to pay much of a mortgage, it makes a massive difference.

So sorry for gettin gup on my soapbox here but it isn't apples for ****ing apples. and it shouldn't be treated as such. This place has its good points, its amazing points and its downright shitty points.

And you know what, I consider this my home and that means I have as much right to bitch about it if i want as you do. And, I have as much right to tell people the good and the bad and the indifferent about this place before they come so that if they do come, they are armed with all the facts. And in my opinion, that's better than a lot of Kiwis who slate the UK when all they did was rock up in London, work in a bar and get pissed for 6 months with their kiwi mates and never leave the capital to actually see the country. I've been all over this country and I know Kiwis that haven't even been to the south island FFS. So you tell me, do I have the right to express my opinion or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.