Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

OK!! Foods we luv that you cant get in NZ..

OK!! Foods we luv that you cant get in NZ..

Old Apr 20th 2008, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

heavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the rough
Wink OK!! Foods we luv that you cant get in NZ..

Ok i know we have discussed major issues but one thats bothering me whats the foods we love ie Cadburys, heinz ... u know the usual that we wont be able to get in NZ
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:05 pm
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of
Default Re: OK!! Foods we luv that you cant get in NZ..

You can get most of what you like. Heinz baked beans are available in some supermarkets. As for cadbury chocolate you can buy it, it is made in New Zealand. There are plenty of online shops for you to buy what you miss although postage can be a little expensive if you don't like near one of the said shops. I can just about get anything I need here in Dunedin, New World one of the supermarkets orders stuff in for me. I know thats sad but needs must sometimes.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 8:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heavenljm
Ok i know we have discussed major issues but one thats bothering me whats the foods we love ie Cadburys, heinz ... u know the usual that we wont be able to get in NZ
Where about in NZ are you moving to, as far as I am aware (from personal research!) there are shops in Auckland, Wellington, Queenstown and Christchurch that import british foods (mainly sweets and biscuits and stuff) so you can actually get some of the stuff you like here.

Heinz actually own Watties here, as you will see from the label, so I don't think there is much difference between their stuff, and Cadburys and most other chocolate you are used to (Kit Kats, Mars etc) is here too but the chocolate does taste a lil different.

You should really ween yourself off the UK stuff and try out the kiwi varieties...
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Steve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really niceSteve and Julie is just really nice

NZ has some lovely food, you adjust your taste. Yes there are some things you cant get here, but I dont now miss UK food. Meat tastes better here. As for cakes and choc Ive put on weight since moving here so cant be that bad!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Erm, Guacamole, there is stuff in NZ called "Masterfood Guacamole Style", but when you read the label, it is 1% avocado, just green colouring, vegetable fat and water, despite the fact that the label is covered with drawings of avocado, how they get away with this , god only knows.

Also when you come to NZ, you expect the meat especially lamb, to be wonderful, but ALL THE GOOD STUFF IS EXPORTED ! The lamb and "hoggett" in the supermarkets here is just of simply appalling quality !

The bread is very poor and quite expensive, think French Stick for the price of real baguettes !
Most bakery products are along the lines of English bakery standards, using bright coloured dyes, "Belgian Buns" pink, haha !

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Apr 20th 2008 at 10:10 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

I have not had a bad piece of lamb!! It tastes much better than the UK and its cheaper than Chicken!!! Adjust your taste and you will miss nothing!

Helen
Old Apr 20th 2008, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
Erm, Guacamole, there is stuff in NZ called "Masterfood Guacamole Style", but when you read the label, it is 1% avocado, just green colouring, vegetable fat and water, despite the fact that the label is covered with drawings of avocado, how they get away with this , god only knows.

Also when you come to NZ, you expect the meat especially lamb, to be wonderful, but ALL THE GOOD STUFF IS EXPORTED ! The lamb and "hoggett" in the supermarkets here is just of simply appalling quality !

The bread is very poor and quite expensive, think French Stick for the price of real baguettes !
Most bakery products are along the lines of English bakery standards, using bright coloured dyes, "Belgian Buns" pink, haha !
Any meat I've bought from New World has always been pretty good, even the mince tastes much better here than at home.

Bread can be expensive, but you pay for what you get, I love the McKenzie Country loaves, really nice and tasty bread, and some supermarkets have good stuff, and there is always Pandoro for those special occasions.

You adapt as you go on and you can't really expect the same choice and range from a country that has a populace of 4million compared to 65 million at home, but saying that, its generally pretty good
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

You'll learn where to shop and manage to get most things you want. I agree the chocolate does taste different here but I guess after nearly 3 years of eating it I'm used to it now. Although Heinz and Wattties are the same company things do taste different to start with.

The meat here (from Butchers not Supermarket) is great. The steak tastes fantastic and is good value for money. The minced beef I buy is so much better than the fatty crap I used to buy back in UK. I have never once had to drain any fat off the meat here whilst cooking it. We get different food stuffs from different shops.... fruit from a fruit shop etc. We get steak and sausages from our local butcher in Beachlands but Ive found a Butcher in Botany where I buy our joints of meat from.

You just have to shop around, trial and error..... the Butcher I go to in Botany even does gammon, called Ham Steak here, thats pretty hard to find here... it tastes so good with egg, chips and pineapple!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Any meat I've bought from New World has always been pretty good, even the mince tastes much better here than at home.

Bread can be expensive, but you pay for what you get, I love the McKenzie Country loaves, really nice and tasty bread, and some supermarkets have good stuff, and there is always Pandoro for those special occasions.

You adapt as you go on and you can't really expect the same choice and range from a country that has a populace of 4million compared to 65 million at home, but saying that, its generally pretty good
We had some beef schnitzel (sp?) from PacnSlave the other week and I have to admit it was lovely.... I made black pepper beef with it one night then we had the rest in bread rolls the next night and it was great... and it cost just over 3 dollars. I went back the next week but it mustve been on offer the week I bought it Still a very good buy.

I have no problem with the bread here.... my parents actually commented how nice and fresh the NZ bread is compared to what they buy now in Tescos.... so it cant be too bad.

I agree with irnbru... food generally pretty good here.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:31 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heavenljm
Hobnobs. I want a packet of hobnobs but they only ever seem to have the ones with the chocolate on them at Cool Britannia.

Galaxy Chocolate (though Kmart has Galaxy at Christmas - very odd). I think you can get Galaxy at Cool Britannia as well. For like $20,000 or something

Vegetarian Pizza -prepackaged vegetarian supermarket frozen pizzasi mean. you can buy vege ones here but it is a pain trying to find the supermarket that stocks them. Not vegetarian but i hate that processed meat they put on pizzas.

Flip side to that is the pizzas you get from restaurants at Scopa (Wellington) are yummy. As are hell pizzas.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Morrison's Honey Nut Loops - my most favourite cereal!!!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
Hobnobs. I want a packet of hobnobs but they only ever seem to have the ones with the chocolate on them at Cool Britannia.

Galaxy Chocolate (though Kmart has Galaxy at Christmas - very odd). I think you can get Galaxy at Cool Britannia as well. For like $20,000 or something

Vegetarian Pizza -prepackaged vegetarian supermarket frozen pizzasi mean. you can buy vege ones here but it is a pain trying to find the supermarket that stocks them. Not vegetarian but i hate that processed meat they put on pizzas.

Flip side to that is the pizzas you get from restaurants at Scopa (Wellington) are yummy. As are hell pizzas.
Was in Scopa a week or so back, was great for Pizza

Best thing for Pizza, buy some bases out the supermarket and make your own, or make your own bases, then you know whats in them and that they are probably healthier with less preservatives and stuff in them.

Galaxy Chocolate is one of the things that I do buy out of Cool Britannia, as well as "real" Irn Bru
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Galaxy Chocolate is one of the things that I do buy out of Cool Britannia
just been there last week and bought a few things (Heinz Sandwich spread, Baked Beanz, rice pudding etc, however. as for chocolates, they only ever seem to have Galaxy Milk Chocolate . and how about the price? it's $7.20 (???) or something like that = WHY??? In Auckland $4.40 for Galaxy Dark

Cool Britannia - I buy nothing else apart from real foods that I absolutely need since I returned from Auckland & no longer want to buy Hobnobs stuffs there, either

Last edited by crap coffee; Apr 21st 2008 at 1:04 am.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Catkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud ofCatkin09 has much to be proud of

HP Fruity Sauce for my bacon sandwiches.
Paxo Sage and Onion Stuffing, I'm having to make my own.
Trouble getting hold of chocolate raisins....just had the urge for them last night

Catkin
Old Apr 21st 2008, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crap coffee
just been there last week and bought a few things (Heinz Sandwich spread, Baked Beanz, rice pudding etc, however. as for chocolates, they only ever seem to have Galaxy Milk Chocolate . and how about the price? it's $7.20 (???) or something like that = WHY??? In Auckland $4.40 for Galaxy Dark

Cool Britannia - I buy nothing else apart from real foods that I absolutely need since I returned from Auckland & no longer want to buy Hobnobs stuffs there, either
As long as they have Galaxy Caramel...mmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.