Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Ok daft question time

Ok daft question time

Old Sep 9th 2006, 8:25 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ok daft question time

Originally Posted by pinkninny
thanks for the advice every one some are very good and have taken the advice on board, others not so good and very anti bringing a kitchen over. yer we know that we don't know the size and other stuff u need to know but as from above it can be done and got two kitchens out of there units, more confused than ever.never thought my simple question would bring such extreme views.
LOL. So the good posts where you have taken the advice on board are the ones that agree with your idea, and the posts that don't agree are "not so good". If you just wanted everyone to write in and agree with you, then you should have said this in the beginning and I wouldn't have bothered writing =)
Old Sep 10th 2006, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

scracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant futurescracha has a brilliant future

thanks for the advice every one some are very good and have taken the advice on board, others not so good and very anti bringing a kitchen over. yer we know that we don't know the size and other stuff u need to know but as from above it can be done and got two kitchens out of there units, more confused than ever.never thought my simple question would bring such extreme views.
[BAIT]
Everyone else is missing the point:- there's no requirement for large worktops over here. The food's bland, the choice is limited and kiwi's only cook on the BBQ or eat pies from the bakery
[/BAIT]

In all seriousness, if you're already getting a container shipped over then I'd say import a kitchen (hell, I wish we'd imported more) otherwise forget it
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:23 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by scracha
[BAIT]
Everyone else is missing the point:- there's no requirement for large worktops over here. The food's bland, the choice is limited and kiwi's only cook on the BBQ or eat pies from the bakery
[/BAIT]
Hilarious!

If you've got the room, why the hell not? Kitchen units are a standard size, pick a modular design that can be mixed and matched to your heart's content and raid the DIY stores when there's a mega sale on. I'd probably get a custom made benchtop when here (and the cupboards are in) as that's definitely the bit you won't be able to predict.

Jeez, even if you can't use them, just look at the prices second hand kitchens go for on TradeMe - you could almost pay off your emigration costs!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:55 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

i am sooooooooo tempted to rip out my kitchen and bring it with us. Cost us £4.5k last september. The kitchen definitely needed a make over and we wanted to make the house more saleable.

I really want to bring the kitchen with us - i love it! Think i might just bring the doors and handles (handles cost £8 each!!), and get some cheaper doors to replace them.

I plan to bring everything, right down to the pots of paint in the garage. If you dont have to buy it in your first couple years in NZ then that will give your bank account chance to pick up.

Dont forget, you just pay for the size of the container, not how many boxes there are! I would say though, make sure you unpack your ikea stuff and repack into bubblewrap so they dont look like they have just been bought. I think you might get stung with tax/duty if they are brand new.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:25 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=kwprwn]
take it from someone who lives with a man who makes furniture for a living when I say IKEA is overpriced for what it actually is
Well that is a shame and also a surprise. Is your OH a carpenter? I have found IKEA quality to be much much better than all the DIY stores and high street stores in the UK such as MFI & Magnet where the quality is appauling, yet the price significantly more expensive. Many people use IKEA carcasses with solid wood/hand painted/designer doors and expensive surfaces such as granite, stainless steel, concrete or corian.

I now believe that unless you choose a handmade kitchen from a carpenter or an expensive one from the likes of Poggenpohl, then IKEA is the best option for the raw units. Where would your OH recommend out of interest? (I have been searching for a kitchen replacement and have decided on either IKEA or carpenter route since I can't justify £20k plus).

As an aside, agree with the OP about NZ kitchens generally being quite basic, apart from those in all the magazines!! Although the same could really be said about 'average UK kitchens'. Also have noticed lots of very bright blue or red in kitchens, both of which I cannot stand, apart from the traditional English Duck Egg tone that is. Finally, thought it was worth mentioning that one should budget a minimum of 5% of house value on a replacement/new kitchen!! Some UK real estate agents suggest up to 10%, as read in this month's Living etc - my favourite mag.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=uk+kiwi]
Originally Posted by kwprwn

Well that is a shame and also a surprise. Is your OH a carpenter? I have found IKEA quality to be much much better than all the DIY stores and high street stores in the UK such as MFI & Magnet where the quality is appauling, yet the price significantly more expensive. Many people use IKEA carcasses with solid wood/hand painted/designer doors and expensive surfaces such as granite, stainless steel, concrete or corian.

I now believe that unless you choose a handmade kitchen from a carpenter or an expensive one from the likes of Poggenpohl, then IKEA is the best option for the raw units. Where would your OH recommend out of interest? (I have been searching for a kitchen replacement and have decided on either IKEA or carpenter route since I can't justify £20k plus).

As an aside, agree with the OP about NZ kitchens generally being quite basic, apart from those in all the magazines!! Although the same could really be said about 'average UK kitchens'. Also have noticed lots of very bright blue or red in kitchens, both of which I cannot stand, apart from the traditional English Duck Egg tone that is. Finally, thought it was worth mentioning that one should budget a minimum of 5% of house value on a replacement/new kitchen!! Some UK real estate agents suggest up to 10%, as read in this month's Living etc - my favourite mag.
He isnt a carpenter, he is a cabinet maker by trade, although in the UK they dont distinguish much between them, but here they do, he spent 14 out of the 18 years he was in the UK making pine furniture or similar sort of stuff. I have no idea what he recommends but there were far better places in the UK that you can get kitchens from than IKEA, they use softwood which tends to damage easily, as does pine furniture.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

pinkninny has a spectacular aura aboutpinkninny has a spectacular aura aboutpinkninny has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Apple12
LOL. So the good posts where you have taken the advice on board are the ones that agree with your idea, and the posts that don't agree are "not so good". If you just wanted everyone to write in and agree with you, then you should have said this in the beginning and I wouldn't have bothered writing =)
LOL yes i have taken all adivce on board, and more and more people are thinking along the same lines and yes i will get hand made work tops so best of both worlds, stop being so "i would not have bothered " and take note of what people write and read it. with out jumping up and down. I did say it was a daft question!!!!