oil slick

Old Oct 15th 2011, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default oil slick

do you know that they are using corexit to dispense the oil it is four more times toxic then oil they did say people were being sick after cleaning up on the beaches wonder if that's any thing to do with it also most of it can be absorbed into clouds and released as toxic rain god forbid that happening in nz i thought most people would like to know about this
Old Oct 16th 2011, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: oil slick

I'm sure the authorities are aware of the risks involved and are doing all they can.
People were getting sick before any dispersant's were used because they went to the
beach ignoring all the warnings and started handling the oil and in some cases allowing
their children to do the same (i watched it on tv) then with no more cleaning than wiping
hands on their shirts / jeans they would go off and have lunch.

Theres enough strife down here related to the spill, we dont need any " I'm going to tell on you" threads
to make us aware of whats going on
Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I think the clue is in the name - dispersant........

The dispersant breaks up the waste so it spreads out to sea into the huge volume that is the ocean, it may be more toxic in the concentrated form or even more toxic in how it is applied but in reality it's not as bad as a geat glob of HFO.

That stuff can permanently ruin things for you. All the dispersant is doing is to get things moving away faster.

Having shot from the hip it is possible to find something less toxic than corexit but not sure how quickly that would be available and clearly the sooner the better for bird life in the area.

Last edited by lardyl; Oct 17th 2011 at 4:56 am.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Justcol
I'm sure the authorities are aware of the risks involved and are doing all they can.
People were getting sick before any dispersant's were used because they went to the
beach ignoring all the warnings and started handling the oil and in some cases allowing
their children to do the same (i watched it on tv) then with no more cleaning than wiping
hands on their shirts / jeans they would go off and have lunch.

Theres enough strife down here related to the spill, we dont need any " I'm going to tell on you" threads
to make us aware of whats going on
there is no, i am going to tell on them, just fact???? look on any internet site and you will find if it was me i would like to know what was there, and goiv are not doing all they can when they dont know they had not signed for insurence in case this happened if they tell you to jump high do you go???
Old Oct 17th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

its easy to point the finger when shit happens.
this has happened, its shit, its boring and it'll all be fine in the end.
It doesn't matter what could have been done, its about dealing with what can
be done. does this effect you??? if your still in Berkshire then no it doesn't
so shut up and leave the people who are trying to sort out to get on with it.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 10:03 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

It's not boring mate, they are expecting the ship to break up tonight or tomorrow and it still has 1000 tons of oil on it ... our beach is ****ed, people's livelihoods are ****ed, the long term implications are not good. Boring, no, heart breaking yes.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:39 pm
Forum Regular

elasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant futureelasmo1 has a brilliant future

seriously what is your problem mate? I've only been on these boards for a few months but just about every post I've seen from you is negative, rude, dismissive and factually incorrect...

You seem to have no appreciation to how people could be suffering and you don't even seem to care... What's the saying again?...

"if you can't say anything productive then don't say anything at all"...

Oscar the grouch eh? how very apt.!

Old Oct 17th 2011, 4:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

it does not matter where i live in the world, cant see where in my post i am pointing the finger it does effect me and my friends in tauranga,
are you still watching your telly , and saying look at them mugs cleaning the beach iam or right jack fu-k every one else, like last two posters said your rude arrogant, and cant express yourself without having a go at someone
Old Oct 17th 2011, 7:50 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by concretepump
it does not matter where i live in the world, cant see where in my post i am pointing the finger it does effect me and my friends in tauranga,
are you still watching your telly , and saying look at them mugs cleaning the beach iam or right jack fu-k every one else, like last two posters said your rude arrogant, and cant express yourself without having a go at someone
If I can just interject. I "know" Justcol in the cyber sense and have done for quite some time now. He has contributed some excellent posts and thoughts on BE as well as some, shall we say, more colourful ones! Which helps keep the debates lively. On this one I agree, I don't think he's understood the sentiment of the people "on the ground" but many people don't relate to a situation that doesn't directly effect them.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:55 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

AFAIK they only trialled 200L of Corexit to test its effectiveness (as that varies with the oil it is being used on).

It was discontinued as not effective enough on the oil. Many aspects of dealing with this are of the "least worst choice" variety and the trial showed a great deal of common sense IMHO.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
If I can just interject. I "know" Justcol in the cyber sense and have done for quite some time now. He has contributed some excellent posts and thoughts on BE as well as some, shall we say, more colourful ones! Which helps keep the debates lively. On this one I agree, I don't think he's understood the sentiment of the people "on the ground" but many people don't relate to a situation that doesn't directly effect them.
even though we don't always agree. respect due
Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:24 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by simonsi
AFAIK they only trialled 200L of Corexit to test its effectiveness (as that varies with the oil it is being used on).

It was discontinued as not effective enough on the oil. Many aspects of dealing with this are of the "least worst choice" variety and the trial showed a great deal of common sense IMHO.
good to see that they are doing their job.
anyway the weather has been the real problem here, there's not been a consistent settled forecast for over a week.
There is supposed to be slightly settled weather over the weekend, let's hope she stays in one piece until then.
Seeing on TV the French guy surfing off the beach today inspite of the tape is just mad. There's all sort of stuff shipped in those containers never mind the HFO.