Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Oil filled heaters

Oil filled heaters

Old Mar 3rd 2007, 11:51 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oil filled heaters

For anyone who's buying a bed here - get a Sealy posterpedic (sp) or something similar - it's got an extra 'piece' on top (I've no idea what they're called) and the beds are expensive but once you're IN bed you're not cold. The only downside is that they are a bit too warm in summertime but I just kick the sheet off and I'm sorted I just would not want to be cold in bed.

We had one large electricity bill last winter - it was an actual reading after an estimated one and was just after the really cold spell and we'd had an oil heater on all night on low for about a week and otherwise I used to turn it on for a couple of hours before we went to bed. The bill was $240 and it's usually around $130-$150.
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Pay your electricity bill by direct debit - then you pay the same amount all year round. We started by paying $100 a month and that didn't quite cut it, so no it's $133.

We use a fan heater in the kids' room to take the chill off, then it goes off once they're asleep. There's a woodburner in the lounge (and now we know how to use it! LOL) and in the rumpus, we have one of the oil filled heaters - but it's only on when there's people in there - otherwise the door is closed and it's switched off.

We get our wood free from the local waste transfer station... collect it over the autumn period and cut to fit the burner... free heat!
Old Mar 3rd 2007, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

We have hopefully winter proofed our home.
Expol underfloor insulation, heat pump at one end of the house. Wood burner, that we have just had a heat transfer pump "connected" to.

Should be our warmest winter yet.

Gill