British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Oil filled heaters (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/oil-filled-heaters-430253/)

Spacecake799 Feb 25th 2007 12:09 am

Oil filled heaters

Does anyone know how expensive it is to run these sort of heaters. My rental has no heating and im trying to think of the most economical way of getting it warm during the winter. Thanks
Carole:D

sky Feb 25th 2007 12:15 am

Re: Oil filled heaters

I found them to be very expensive but if you're cold and you have no other way of getting warm you don't really have much choice do you.
Buy an electric blanket and just stay in bed all the time is my next suggestion :rofl:
Or even cheaper a hot water bottle :)

I'm only jesting though, hope you realise that :) ... I know how miserable it is to live in a cold house believe you me and it's horrible and makes you ill.
Have you thought about moving to a rental with a wood burner in it, they're absolutely fab!

thebears Feb 25th 2007 6:24 am

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 (Post 4451651)
Does anyone know how expensive it is to run these sort of heaters. My rental has no heating and im trying to think of the most economical way of getting it warm during the winter. Thanks
Carole:D

We ran 3 of them literally 9 hours a day over the last winter and it cost about A$10 per day. We also had a big gas heater in the lounge - and it was a chilly winter here in Melbourne.:thumbup:

beaches Feb 25th 2007 7:12 am

A friend of mine had a huge bill last winter and queried it, was told it was due to the oil filled heaters - he was running 3 of them, almost constantly.
He was told they cost 35 cents per hour to run, which doesn't sound a lot, but if you add it up over a couple of weeks it makes a huge difference to your power bill.

thebears Feb 25th 2007 8:08 am

Originally Posted by beaches (Post 4452323)
A friend of mine had a huge bill last winter and queried it, was told it was due to the oil filled heaters - he was running 3 of them, almost constantly.
He was told they cost 35 cents per hour to run, which doesn't sound a lot, but if you add it up over a couple of weeks it makes a huge difference to your power bill.

A cold house over winter with young children

no chance. The cost was worth it.

We dressed up snug as well but no central heating.

Beachcombers Feb 25th 2007 9:37 pm

Get yourself a gas heater. They sell them at the Warehouse, heats the room quicker, cheaper to run.

Downsides are it creates a lot of condensation and can be stinky at times.

Also if your gas bottle runs out at 8pm and the local garage closed at 7pm, get the hot water bottle out.

Unless you are a clever clogs and bought a spare gas bottle.

SarahB Feb 26th 2007 6:18 am

When we arrived here the people we stayed with told us to heat using oil filled.... the bills we had were horrendous. We now only use them in the kids bedrooms during winter just to take the chill out of the air. They are expensive to run.

RobClubley Mar 1st 2007 10:29 pm

What about thos low-energy flat panel thingies.

Anyone tried them?

http://www.econoheat.co.nz/

Sugo Mar 2nd 2007 1:55 am

i would go for gas, the oil ones are really expensive and those halogen flat panel ones use lose most energy with light,

I use gas and some long johns and daymart type vest, they are on sale at the moment at khatmandu, kind of got used to wearing 3 or 4 layers in doors.

One of my worst times here was after a late shift, i came home to my rental, had been here a month, had no heating then, was sat in my chair watching tv in a hoody, with hoody up, a blanket, gym pants, 2 pairs of socks, wishing i had a table to break up to make a bon fire in the middle of the room. Was seriously cold, woke up that morning and i could see my breath, and i live in wellington. Even considered switching all the rings on on my oven and leaving the door open, was seriously depressing.

Now i live on top of a pizza shop, its great in the winter, their ovens heat my floor, and its free hehe

oh yeah an electric blanket is a must, as is a wool or feather and down heavy quilt, plus extra blankets, i never thought i would need them, didnt in england.

oh and if your single find someone makes the bed alot warmer,

RobClubley Mar 2nd 2007 2:07 am

i must admit I never expected to need an electric blanket - and sometimes leave it on all night!

sky Mar 2nd 2007 7:24 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 4471977)
i must admit I never expected to need an electric blanket - and sometimes leave it on all night!

Don't do that!
Your body creates a hot spot and the whole thing could combust ... with you on it :ohmy:
Very, very dangerous ... please don't do it!

RobClubley Mar 2nd 2007 8:12 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4472509)
Don't do that!
Your body creates a hot spot and the whole thing could combust ... with you on it :ohmy:
Very, very dangerous ... please don't do it!

That would be bad! We have insulation and double glazing now so things should be much toastier this winter

sky Mar 2nd 2007 8:17 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 4472683)
That would be bad! We have insulation and double glazing now so things should be much toastier this winter

Well thank goodness, I hate electric blankets .. I just do not trust them. Also them wheat bag things ... apparently they after time become brittle from lots of reheats in the microwave and will eventually combust next to you or if you give it to your child to keep warm or some mums put them in their babies cots :ohmy:

uk+kiwi Mar 2nd 2007 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by beaches (Post 4452323)

Sounds about right as this works out to the c.$10/day that the Bears mentioned his 3 heaters worked out to be, running for 9 hours/day. You're right about it adding up because that totals c.$300/month.

thebears Mar 3rd 2007 6:27 am

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 4471977)

We have a electric warmer that goes in our duvet, and we have one underneath. However we did not feel the need to use them during last winter.

Guess I should put the car batterys and car cables back in the shed - some people just dont get my DIY.:thumbup: